Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344204 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #800 on: September 28, 2008, 01:22:35 PM »
A 308 No. Bloodlines levels only apply to "numerical calculations" (caster level, save DCs...).
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #801 on: September 28, 2008, 07:09:54 PM »
Q 310: Is it a good idea to dip 1 level of Cloister Cleric (with Kowledge Devotion) whhen building a Archivist?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #802 on: September 28, 2008, 07:31:05 PM »
A 310: Depends on the build you are going for, but generally, yes. Although if you can optain Turning and domain access via another PrC, that would be better.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #803 on: September 29, 2008, 05:15:06 AM »
Q 311:  I was reading the requirements for Spell Singer class from races of Faerun.  It states that you have to be at least 1/8th elven.  (as Opposed to the usual "elf or Half elf") WTF?  Is there some way of determining minor ancestry?  Like I can be human with some sort of feat or something?

iconoplast

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #804 on: September 29, 2008, 02:09:30 PM »
A 311: Anyone can be 1/8 Elven, IIRC.  Does not require investment of a feat or anything.

(Note: This may be DM Fiat territory)

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #805 on: September 29, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »
Q312: If you made a bullet/arrow head out of blacksand(Sand) and shot and opponent with it and let it disperse in them (Assuming you can do that with Sandshaper abilities) would they continualy take 1d4 dmg a round of negitive eneregy until they reached 0 hp and turned into black sand?

Q312B: if said above tactic is vialbe would multiple shots stack?
     Q313C: would there then be a shroud of magical darkness around the bullets/arrows, and if so is it blockable by mundane materials like a closed quiver?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:48:19 PM by Cyrocloud »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #806 on: September 29, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »
Q313: Can a Swift Hunter bypass immunity to precision damage in his favored enemies regardless of source? For example, does it allow him to ignore Fortification armor?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #807 on: September 30, 2008, 03:54:41 AM »
A312A: I'd go with yes but ask your DM since there is no 'official' way to answer this.
A312B: No, you only take 1d4 while buried in black sand so one extra arrowhead won't do anything.
A312C: I'd go with yes but too small to matter and yes to being able to cover it up as well. Again, ask your DM since this is not covered in the rules.

I've personally carted black sand around on my undead characters just to have a form of fast healing and to meet Dust Magic's requirements for it's boost. Consider asking your DM about doing the same.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

aund

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #808 on: September 30, 2008, 05:16:32 AM »
q314 Does the Holy warrior feat interfere with the spontaneous domains feat? Like, in lvl 17 with access to the war domain do I still count as having a lvl 9 spell of the war domain prepared since I can cast it spontaneously and need not prepare it in advance?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:51:38 AM by aund »
SR/DR is to DnD what AC/DC is to Hard Rock

AhrenElessedil

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #809 on: October 03, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »
Q315: Can I use Polymorph Any Object to become an Outsider?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:35:16 AM by AhrenElessedil »

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #810 on: October 03, 2008, 04:19:11 AM »
A314: Yes, it does interfere. If you don't prepare that spell in one of your spell slots, it isn't prepared, even if you could cast it spontaneously.
A315: Polymorph Any Object works as Polymorph, except where listed. Nowhere does it list additional available types. So no, you cannot become an outsider using PAO.
I know gameology-fu.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #811 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »
Q316
Can I use "Reincarnate" to become (randomly) a powerful humanoid race without getting the LA or RHD? The deal is the following: Reincarnate specifies pretty much exactly what the character gets. It never mentions either LA nor RHD. You also don't get the mental score adjustments of any races - which means a lot of the "strong" races don't make you stupid.

Now in order to get a good race of course you need a few tries, I guess, which means Reincarnate itself is out. However, Last Breath doesn't give you level loss. So either having an ally Last Breath you after committing suicide could work, or getting a contingent spell (a few times). It costs 500gp or so a pop, but you should be able to afford a few tries.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #812 on: October 03, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
Q313: Can a Swift Hunter bypass immunity to precision damage in his favored enemies regardless of source? For example, does it allow him to ignore Fortification armor?

Repost.

Q317: Is there any way to skirmish at distances beyond 30 feet?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #813 on: October 03, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »

Repost.

Check Crossbow Sniper, PHB2.  AFB though, so that might only apply to sneak attack.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #814 on: October 03, 2008, 01:30:38 PM »
A 313 The RAW is definitely tipped towards "yes" but it's not completely clear.
"Your skirmish extra damage applies against an creature you have selected as a favored enemy."

A 314b There's the Sniper's Shot (SC) spell that applies only to SA but could easily be houseruled to apply to skirmish.

A 316 I also think it works. Of course you need to find a druid willing to toy with life and escape the Inevitables afterwards (I'm sure some of them will take offense).

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #815 on: October 03, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »
Crossbow Sniper does work. Only issue is you have to set a feat on fire for it, and another feat on fire to load it as a free action for stuff like greater manyshot.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #816 on: October 03, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »
Q 318 Can you use Manyshot/Greater Manyshot with crossbows ?
I thought the "arrow" qualification made it impossible, but I could be missing a rules text equating bolts and arrows.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #817 on: October 03, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »

A317b:There's a feat called Ranged Skirmisher on crystalkeep that increases the distance to 60ft. The only out of the way feat you need to get it is Far Shot. Everything else necessary you'll have anyways. It is from a magazine though, so I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for...

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #818 on: October 03, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »
Q 318 Can you use Manyshot/Greater Manyshot with crossbows ?
I thought the "arrow" qualification made it impossible, but I could be missing a rules text equating bolts and arrows.
A318

no you cant use it with crossbows .... as you mentioned it specifies "Arrows"

although there are many similarities between Arrows and Bolts ..... they are projected by something else... the mechanics of the Projector are what do not allow the same type of fire to be used by a Crossbow as with a Bow......

for a Houserule... it would be reasonable to allow a Repeating Crossbow to use the feat Manyshot

:D

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #819 on: October 03, 2008, 07:10:35 PM »
Q319: For wildshape, what abilties are retained as far as EX, SU and SP/PS are concerned?