Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343316 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #960 on: October 28, 2008, 08:18:53 PM »
A370

not really .... but you can get a lot of use from them like this:

take the feat: Spontaneous Domains (Faiths of Eberron, IIRC)... this will let you prepare all your domain slots and spontaneously cast from any domain using the domain slot..... but do this also, get some of these:

<pearl of power>

so your domain slot is still available after you cast it

:D
There's a similarly named feat in FoE, but the feat you mean would be from Complete Champion. Sadly, it requires you to leave your domain slots unprepared, which I imagine would interfere with the use of pearls of power.
Domain Spontaneity, from FoE, allows you to cast your domain spells spontaneously as with cure (or inflict) spells, though it costs a turning attempt every time to do so. =/
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #961 on: October 28, 2008, 11:32:46 PM »
Q371:  Can your caster level for Spell Like Abilities qualify you for feats like Craft Wonderous Item?  I think it can, but I'd like a little confirmation.

JaronK

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #962 on: October 29, 2008, 05:02:14 AM »
Q372: Are there any feats/ items that give you bonuses when you're at half-HP or something of that sort?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #963 on: October 29, 2008, 09:45:26 AM »
A 372 Yes: the Tabard of Valor and associated items from CC. Some items in the MIC works like that too.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #964 on: October 29, 2008, 09:12:03 PM »
A363: You don't need levels in crusader to take Thicket of Blades.  You could be an insane fighter who took Martial Study (a devoted spirit maneuver), Martial Stance (Iron Guard's Glare, since you need a 1st level stance before you can take a 3rd level one)... 
Where are you getting that you must have a first level stance before you can get a 3rd level one.  That's not mentioned anywhere in the rules or the stance's prereq's.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #965 on: October 29, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »
Actually, if you get your stance from Crusader 1, Swordsage 1, or Warblade 1 then it does have to be first level, as per the rules in those classes.  If you get it somewhere else (Martial Stance) then it's not an issue.

JaronK

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #966 on: October 29, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
You and I know that, but that's not what he was saying.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #967 on: October 30, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
Q373: Where are the rules for using Sense Motive to figure out enemy AC and other capabilities? Adventurer has relative threat, but I know I've seen more than that elsewhere.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #968 on: October 30, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »
Q373: Where are the rules for using Sense Motive to figure out enemy AC and other capabilities? Adventurer has relative threat, but I know I've seen more than that elsewhere.
A373:
you might be thinking of this, but it uses Listen:

Keen-Eared ScoutAssess Opponent (CAdv p102Note: This ability is made more powerful with the Feat: Combat Intuition.

Combat Intuition
[General, Fighter]
(CAdv p106)
Base Attack Bonus +5
Sense Motive: 4 ranks
As a Free Action, you can make a Sense Motive check to assess the challenge presented by an
opponent (CAdv p102). You gain a +4 bonus to the check, and narrow the result to a single category.
Whenever you make a melee attack against a creature you also attacked in melee last round, gain a
+1 Insight bonus to your attack roll.[spoiler]

:D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:01:20 PM by carnivore »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #969 on: October 30, 2008, 07:04:42 PM »
No, that's the thing I already know about and something that tells you armor and such but that's it. Seeing as the presence or absence of armor doesn't mean a damn thing AC wise and the best AC stuff is using little to no armor... the idea is to have an in game means of knowing how much to PA for.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #970 on: October 30, 2008, 07:35:13 PM »
Q374: Is Telthor Necropolitan Incarnate Construct Warforged a legitimate race?

Incarnate construct is from SS, Telthor from Unapproachable East and Necropolitan from Libris Mortis.

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #971 on: October 30, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »
A 373b I don't know where it's from - never seen it - but I can tell it's not from the "mainstream" books since the Crystalkeep Skills pdf has no mention of it. It was last updated in October 2007, so either it's from a book more recent or it's a third-party one.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #972 on: October 30, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »
Q375: Is there any way to transfer NPC casting (or manifesting) like can be done for magic items herehttp://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a, instead of the 5gp per 1 xp mentioned herehttp://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell? Simply taking the XP hit yourself would really help make certain castings more feasible.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #973 on: October 30, 2008, 10:13:04 PM »
A 374: AFAIK, Warforged cannot become Undead, so the Necropolitan template cannot be applied.  If there's proof to the contrary, I've not seen it and would love the page reference for edification.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #974 on: October 30, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »
A 374 I think an Incarnate Construct Warforged could become undead. But you can't apply Telthor to undead and you can't apply Necropolitan to fey so this combination won't work.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #975 on: October 31, 2008, 04:45:09 AM »
Warforged: Living Construct
Incarnate Construct: Warforged becomes Humanoid
Telthor: Humanoid Warforged becomes Fey
Necropolitan: Humanoid Warforged becomes Undead

You must choose between Telthor and Necropolitan.  Choose well.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #976 on: October 31, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
Actually, if you get your stance from Crusader 1, Swordsage 1, or Warblade 1 then it does have to be first level, as per the rules in those classes.  If you get it somewhere else (Martial Stance) then it's not an issue.

JaronK

I stand corrected, my apologies.

Arquebuz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #977 on: October 31, 2008, 10:43:28 PM »
Q376
Is there a means by which I can apply DEX to things like trip and disarm, instead of STR?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #978 on: October 31, 2008, 10:52:09 PM »
Thanks a lot, mates!

Handy Links

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #979 on: October 31, 2008, 10:59:06 PM »
Q376
Is there a means by which I can apply DEX to things like trip and disarm, instead of STR?
I believe some of the Setting Sun maneuvers from Tome of Battle can do so.