Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342872 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1380 on: December 28, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »
Q505: Aside from Wall of Ice, are there any wall spells that can fill a horizontal (not vertical!) space atop other wall spells?
Dark way kinda sorta can do that.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1381 on: December 28, 2008, 05:07:10 AM »
A 505: Depending on your DM's ruling on this passage from the wall of stone spell, you could use it freely in areas where no stone already exists.
Quote from: SRD
Unlike a wall of iron, you can create a wall of stone in almost any shape you desire. The wall created need not be vertical, nor rest upon any firm foundation; however, it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone.

If the DM rules that if no stone exists, the spell fails, then it might be a bust, depending on whether you have stone to support the wall or not, and if you have enough volume to cover the area you want to.

If, however, the DM is lenient and the spell works in areas that have no existing stone, then you can put it wherever you like when there is no stone to anchor to within the area of the spell.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1382 on: December 28, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »
Suppose a new foe (that the PC's don't yet realize is a foe) meets the PC's in a fashion where it would be expected in society to help someone up, say for example, the PC's are climbing out of the muck of a swamp's edge.  The foe offers a hand to one of the PC's, and they grab onto eachother's wrists as the foe pulls the PC out of the mud.  As soon as the PC is free, the foe wants to start grappling the PC.

Q 506: What steps of the grappling proceedure, if any, does the foe get to by-pass?  He is already clasping the arm of his target.  Would he ignore the AoO and the touch attack, and just proceed with the grapple check?

Q 507:  (A) Same situation, foe and PC clasping arms, but the foe wishes to draw a dagger and attack the PC once (to get some blood on the knife), and proceed with grappling.  What steps does the foe need to go through? (B) Draw and attack (move and standard actions), but then would the PC need to make a grapple check to get released, even though they aren't technically "grappling?" (C) Draw weapon (move action), initiate grapple check (standard action), and wait until next round to attack and draw blood?

I think (C) is probably best, as it gives the PC's a chance to react before the knife actually punctures skin.

Q 508: Where would you place the initiative checks in all of this?  Allow the PC's a Spot check to see if they notice him about the draw a knife, and those that succeed can make initiative checks for the surprise round?  But then that throws off the drawing a dagger and grappling together in one turn, which brings us right back to the problem of two people clasping hands, yet neither has actually made a grapple check yet; if the PC wants to disengage, does he need to make a grapple check to do so, even though they aren't technically "grappling?"

Q 509: Lastly, suppose the foe is a vampire or some other undead that deals energy drain on a natural attack.  Each successful offensive grapple check is going to inflict 1 or 2 negative levels, correct?  Can the vampire forego the inflicting of the negative levels if his goal is simply to get the blood on the knife and leave?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1383 on: December 28, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »
Q 506: What steps of the grappling proceedure, if any, does the foe get to by-pass?  He is already clasping the arm of his target.  Would he ignore the AoO and the touch attack, and just proceed with the grapple check?

Technically, if the PCs aren't aware this guy is a bad guy, his move takes them completely by surprise. Therefore, even though they would normally be entitled to an AoO, they don't get one (unless the grapple victim has uncanny dodge). He does bypass the touch attack, though.
Q 507:  (A) Same situation, foe and PC clasping arms, but the foe wishes to draw a dagger and attack the PC once (to get some blood on the knife), and proceed with grappling.  What steps does the foe need to go through? (B) Draw and attack (move and standard actions), but then would the PC need to make a grapple check to get released, even though they aren't technically "grappling?" (C) Draw weapon (move action), initiate grapple check (standard action), and wait until next round to attack and draw blood?

He'd be able to draw the knife and grapple, or draw and attack, but not draw and grapple AND attack. If he chose the second option, the PC needs not make a grapple check. Actually, grappling is an attack action, which means if he can make a full attack and has iterative attacks he gets to make multiple grapple attempts. The kicker is that without quick draw, drawing the knife is a move action.
Q 508: Where would you place the initiative checks in all of this?  Allow the PC's a Spot check to see if they notice him about the draw a knife, and those that succeed can make initiative checks for the surprise round?  But then that throws off the drawing a dagger and grappling together in one turn, which brings us right back to the problem of two people clasping hands, yet neither has actually made a grapple check yet; if the PC wants to disengage, does he need to make a grapple check to do so, even though they aren't technically "grappling?"

Actually, that'd be a Sense Motive check, which you should probably make hidden from the players. If they make it, you should roll initiative to see who goes first in the surprise round (only for those who made it, though), but remember that everyone only has a standard action during a surprise round, so they might be hard-pressed for options.
Q 509: Lastly, suppose the foe is a vampire or some other undead that deals energy drain on a natural attack.  Each successful offensive grapple check is going to inflict 1 or 2 negative levels, correct?  Can the vampire forego the inflicting of the negative levels if his goal is simply to get the blood on the knife and leave?

Sure he can, he's intelligent.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #1384 on: December 28, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
He'd be able to ... draw and attack... If he chose the second option, the PC needs not make a grapple check.
Note, I'm not arguing what the rules say, as I agree with you, since no one has technically initiated a grapple, then yes, the PC is free to disengage.

That just doesn't work though, from a practical and realistic standpoint.  Foe offers a hand and the PC takes it.  Foe has a good grip and pulls the PC up, effectively pulling the PC into his square.  Foe still has a good grip on the PC.  Just because the PC wants to pull away doesn't mean the foe will let him go (that's a reactive, defensive grapple check on the foe's part, to put it in game speak).

The question at hand is if grapple checks must be knowingly opposed.  If someone places themselves in a vulnerable and unsuspecting position, is it possible that they are chosing to auto-fail their grapple check?

Would it be wrong to say that if the PC accepts the hand up, the grapple check is taking place at that time, outside of combat rounds, and the PC has willingly failed the grapple check?  At that point spot or sense motive check could occur, initiative is rolled, and then either the PC succeeds at a grapple check to escape the grapple, or the foe succeeds on a grapple check (as a move action) to draw his dagger, and a second grapple check to attack with it.  If no one succeeds at spot/sense motive checks, then the foe basically wins the grapple check to draw his dagger uncontested, and then initiative checks occur then, before the foe attacks.

I'll break this off into a seperate thread after this, if I need to.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1385 on: December 28, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
Note, I'm not arguing what the rules say, as I agree with you, since no one has technically initiated a grapple, then yes, the PC is free to disengage.

That just doesn't work though, from a practical and realistic standpoint.  Foe offers a hand and the PC takes it.  Foe has a good grip and pulls the PC up, effectively pulling the PC into his square.  Foe still has a good grip on the PC.  Just because the PC wants to pull away doesn't mean the foe will let him go (that's a reactive, defensive grapple check on the foe's part, to put it in game speak).

The question at hand is if grapple checks must be knowingly opposed.  If someone places themselves in a vulnerable and unsuspecting position, is it possible that they are chosing to auto-fail their grapple check?

Would it be wrong to say that if the PC accepts the hand up, the grapple check is taking place at that time, outside of combat rounds, and the PC has willingly failed the grapple check?  At that point spot or sense motive check could occur, initiative is rolled, and then either the PC succeeds at a grapple check to escape the grapple, or the foe succeeds on a grapple check (as a move action) to draw his dagger, and a second grapple check to attack with it.  If no one succeeds at spot/sense motive checks, then the foe basically wins the grapple check to draw his dagger uncontested, and then initiative checks occur then, before the foe attacks.

I'll break this off into a seperate thread after this, if I need to.

While the rules can be a bit sketchy on a situation like this (i.e. they don't cover the specific situation), grappling involves more than simply grabbing someone's hand. Grappling involves actually bringing the opponent into your hold in such a way that he must struggle to loose himself (such as holding someone in a bear hug), and while there's no mention of needing two hands free to grapple an opponent in the rules, in order to mantain a grapple with a single limb (at a -20 penalty no less) you need to have a special ability called Improved Grab (possessed by monsters such as the Gray Render). In short, you've essentially skipped the touch attack part (as you ARE touching the victim), but you don't get to skip the grapple check (unless the victim knowingly tossed herself into your arms and expected a bear hug, or something). 
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #1386 on: December 28, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »
Ok, that makes sense, I suppose.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1387 on: December 28, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
Regarding Q499: So, according to the FAQ, Southern Magician won't work...

Q501: How 'official' is the FAQ? 
Q502: Are there any other ways a pure Arcane caster can cast Divine spells? (Specifically looking at Calm Animals and Protection From Evil as Divine spells here)

Thanks,
~Bowen
Bumpy :P

So, any ways a PURE ARCANE CASTER can pull this off?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
« Reply #1388 on: December 28, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »
A502: Rainbow Servant, page 54 of CD, will give you divine spellcasting.

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1389 on: December 28, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »
Technically, if the PCs aren't aware this guy is a bad guy, his move takes them completely by surprise. Therefore, even though they would normally be entitled to an AoO, they don't get one (unless the grapple victim has uncanny dodge).

Uncanny dodge allows you to keep your Dex bonus to AC, but it doesn't stop you from being flatfooted.  So no AoOs or immediate actions.  The feat Combat Reflexes allows AoOs.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #1390 on: December 28, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »
Q510: How much does a continuous Collar of umbral metamorphosis cost?

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1391 on: December 28, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
A502: Rainbow Servant, page 54 of CD, will give you divine spellcasting.
Looking for something with a pay-off a little bit sooner, but thanks :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1392 on: December 28, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
Q510: How much does a continuous Collar of umbral metamorphosis cost?
A 510

22,000 gp. It's in the entry for the normal Collar, under Variants.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #1393 on: December 28, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
Excellent, couldn't get my hands on the book...

Handy Links

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #1394 on: December 28, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
Q511 Is there any feat/ACF that allows Clerics to use Intelligence as there casting stat?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1395 on: December 28, 2008, 08:38:30 PM »
A 511: None that I am aware of. Archivist may be your best bet, and pick up turning and domains with PrCs.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
« Reply #1396 on: December 28, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
Q511 Is there any feat/ACF that allows Clerics to use Intelligence as there casting stat?

A511: Bastards and Bloodlines has a feat called Lost Tradition, page 91.

For easy reference, I shall copy the feat here:

Lost Tradition (Genereral)
"You are descended from a group of spellcasters who had very different ways of mastering magic, and you follow in their tradition."

Benefits: Choose one spellcasting class. You may change which ability score governs spellcasting with that class. That ability cannot be changed again.

For example, Meishel Ellazen is a houri cleric. She takes the Lost Tradition feat and chooses to base her clerical spellcasting on Charisma instead of Wistdom. She now uses her Charisma score to determine her bonus spells, spell save DCs, maximum spell level she may cast, and any other calculation regarding her cleric spells.

Special: You can take this feat only at 1st level.

So basically, choose a stat, any stat. May I recommend STR instead of INT? :P And Druid instead of Cleric? :D

Edit: Shameless plug, I recommend buying the book. No Min-maxer is complete without its various broken things.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:42:05 PM by Dumb-Age Master »

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #1397 on: December 28, 2008, 09:10:05 PM »
Q512: Where can I find the feat Southern Magician?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #1398 on: December 28, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »
Q512: Where can I find the feat Southern Magician?

Races of faerun. May have appeared in other splatbooks, that I am not sure.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1399 on: December 29, 2008, 04:03:26 AM »
A511b: There's a feat in a Dragonlance sourcebook, Legend of the Twins, that does it. Academic Priest. Switches everything but DCs over to Intelligence.
This space intentionally left blank.