Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342906 times)

Smudgy

• Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #420 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:01 PM »
A153: Infinite Scrollcase in the MIC, pg. 162, should be what you're looking for.

Flash_Plasma

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #421 on: July 25, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »
Q154: Are there any LA 0 races with a wisdom boost (barring the buomann anyway, I can't deal with the speech thing, I like talking too much :D) preferably medium size?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:07:24 PM by Flash_Plasma »

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #422 on: July 25, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »
A154

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #423 on: July 25, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »
A154: Dragonborn Buomman gets rid of the vow, and nets you a Con bonus to boot, I'm pretty sure.
This space intentionally left blank.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #424 on: July 26, 2008, 05:14:48 PM »
By RAW, does this work:

Take one part Monk 2 and one part Psychic Warrior 18.
Add Tashalatora, which makes this characters base unarmed damage like a lvl 20 monk.
Add 4 Ectoplasmic Fists, (ECS 264), this will add 4 size increases to the damage, 12d8
Pour some of the monks rule that her unarmed strikes counts as weapons so they can be enchanted by magic and effects.
Mix with the Psychic Warriors' power Vampiric Blade.
Shake, stir, serve.

Does this character, with these things active and available, deal 12d8 damage and heals half of that damage for each attack that hits?

Problems I see:
1. Ectoplasmic Fist seems to add one size to each limb.Which by RAI, if you think about it, should mean that only that limb is increased. As such, 4 of them would end up with each limb counting as one size larger, not all of them four sizes.
But by RAW this is fuzzy.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #425 on: July 26, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
Q155 By RAW, does this work:

Take one part Monk 2 and one part Psychic Warrior 18.
Add Tashalatora, which makes this characters base unarmed damage like a lvl 20 monk.
Add 4 Ectoplasmic Fists, (ECS 264), this will add 4 size increases to the damage, 12d8
Pour some of the monks rule that her unarmed strikes counts as weapons so they can be enchanted by magic and effects.
Mix with the Psychic Warriors' power Vampiric Blade.
Shake, stir, serve.

Does this character, with these things active and available, deal 12d8 damage and heals half of that damage for each attack that hits?

Problems I see:
1. Ectoplasmic Fist seems to add one size to each limb.Which by RAI, if you think about it, should mean that only that limb is increased. As such, 4 of them would end up with each limb counting as one size larger, not all of them four sizes.
But by RAW this is fuzzy.

A155... Ectoplasmic Fist allows only one to be implanted per limb... and it only affects the limb it was implanted in.... thus you will only get 1 size boost for each limb, and they have no effect on the other limbs

however you could add the feat: Improved Natural Attack to get an Additional size boost, then use the power Expansion.... to boost your actual Size 2 categories.... thus you could attack with Unarmed Strikes at 4 size boosts

:D

MochiGohan

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: July 27, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
Q156

Healing Belt (Magic Item Compendium)
The price is 750gp but the Costs to Create are 500gp, 40XP, 1day

Shouldn't the price be 1000gp ?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #427 on: July 27, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
A156: Yes it should. But it's on sale in the MIC. That's why item creation rules are guidelines, the designers figured it wouldn't be worth 1,000gp, so they discounted it, most likely.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »
A156: Yes it should. But it's on sale in the MIC. That's why item creation rules are guidelines, the designers figured it wouldn't be worth 1,000gp, so they discounted it, most likely.
Of course, a Healing Belt would still have been a bargain at 1000 gp, but that's neither here nor there...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #429 on: July 28, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
Q 157: Can a changling alter its voice when it changes shapes?  If it impersonates someone, will the voice sound odd to those who know the person they are trying to copy?  If they can't duplicate, can they at least alter it (so a female changling impersonating a man doesn't still sound like a girl)?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #430 on: July 28, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
A 157: There is no rules text saying that they get to alter their voice. The fluff text suggests it, but there is nothing that changes the penalties that they would get for disguising as the opposite sex (seeing as they do have a gender). The Assume Quirk skill trick only negates the familiarity bonus that the Spotting character would get, and I don't see anything in any Disguise skill text or spell texts to suggest the changing of voices. Voice itself isn't a ruled thing, as far as I can tell. So, since it's apparently outside the scope of the rules, it's possible that it's unimportant, or that the DM will have words to say on the matter.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #431 on: July 28, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
...or that the DM will have words to say on the matter.
I am the DM...

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #432 on: July 28, 2008, 03:28:59 PM »
Since there aren't any rules that I can find, how important is the voice thing? They already get a -2 for opposite sex, and other penalties for other differences. Plus familiarity is an issue, giving a bonus to the spot check and all. Reading into the rules that are written about appearance, apparently you can mimic it semi-reliably for those who aren't intimate with the subject.
Camlen, Enniwey

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
Q 158: The Dust-Stuffed Creature template (Eberron's Explorer's Handbook) makes a living creature into a Living Construct by filling them with sand (basically making them into Karl Ruprecht Kroenen from Hellboy).  Granted, this isn't specifically covered in the rules, but should such a creature still be able to procreate?  I'm asking pertaining to campaign plot formation.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #434 on: July 28, 2008, 05:45:14 PM »
A 158

Most certainly depends on whether the reproductory organs (and the brain) were replaced. If the former are still there (maybe because the creator couldn't get himself to touch them), the creature would technically still be able to procreate. However, if you want to be perfectly biologically accurate, the Dust-Stuffed thingie would still need at least part of its brain, as that's where the hormones that regulate pregnacy/development of spermatozoones and ovules are produced. Too lazy to look up all the specifics right now, but I think as long as brain and reproductory organs remain intact, it should work.

EDIT: More importantly, is the person we're talking about male or female? If it's female, it will most likely not work, as there simply wouldn't be enough room for the fetus unless the creator thought of leaving enough room, which I find unlikely. All of this is assuming the Dust-Filled creature is humanoid, of course. In the case of a seahorse, replace all instances of female with male and vice versa.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:04:09 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
« Reply #435 on: July 28, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
Q159

What feats do you guys suggest for a level 2 knight?

My goal is: extremely hard to kill!!!!

So i thought of endurance and later that feat that let's you add con instead of wis to will saves.

Any thoughts?
Am i screwing it all? I want him to be somewhat a battlefield wall (i'm even taking a tower shield for that...ouch)
Good gaming for you.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #436 on: July 28, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
A159: Well, is the game already underway, or can you switch classes to Crusader? If you want an unavoidable and impassible wall, the Thicket of Blades Devoted Spirit stance is really useful, and various Crusader maneuvers allow you to restore health (martial spirit stance being amazing at low levels). I know this isn't quite an answer to your literal question, but it addresses your goal.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #437 on: July 28, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
Q 160

Does a Gutworm's (Fiendish Symbiont, Fiend Folio page 220) Incite Rage ability stack with normal barbarian rage? My first gut instinct (pun intended) would be yes, since the text doesn't specify a bonus type, nor does it state that the abilities don't stack.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #438 on: July 28, 2008, 11:51:57 PM »
Q 161: I recall there being talk of potential method(s) to have skill ranks surpass their normal limits. What are they, if they exist?
Camlen, Enniwey

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #439 on: July 29, 2008, 12:01:19 AM »
Q 161: I recall there being talk of potential method(s) to have skill ranks surpass their normal limits. What are they, if they exist?

It costs TWO feats in cityscape to surpass the normal ranks limit by one.  They're (useless?) roleplaying based feats too, something having to do with your "contacts."
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286