Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342875 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2008, 06:36:26 AM »
Q 100: Can ability focus be applied to bardic music? and if so, does it apply to all bardic music or only one specific type? (in this case, I was wondering specifically about the Dirgesinger's abilities whose DCs are fixed rather than dependent on stats)
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: June 20, 2008, 08:20:05 AM »
Q 99 : What class mesh well with a Warblade in a Gestalt build?

A99: Anything Intelligence-based works too. Warblade/Wizard, Warblade/Psion, Warblade/Archivist and company all make for brutal Intelligence-tanks, especially if you add few levels of Swashbuckler to the Warblade-side for Int to damage and use spells et al. that allow you to use Int as your attack stat (Control Body off Psi Crystal, for example).

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
A98: The stats aren't typed out anywhere, but generally you can count monsters' stat adjustments by simply subtracting 10 from the even and 11 from the odd numbers in its stat block. Humanoid warriors tend to use non-elite array (13/12/11/10/9/8), but monsters have simple 11/10/11/10/11/10. This is all spelled out page 6-7 under "Abilities" at the start of Monster Manual I.

To salve my ego, this was supposed to be in the 4e thread...

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2008, 12:20:35 AM »
Q 100: Can ability focus be applied to bardic music? and if so, does it apply to all bardic music or only one specific type? (in this case, I was wondering specifically about the Dirgesinger's abilities whose DCs are fixed rather than dependent on stats)

Apparently so. This reminds me of the warlock, where you could take AB: eldritch blast and improve the DC of any invocation you apply to it. There is also this clause in the bardic music section.

While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments

Which suggests that they would indeed all count under bardic music...?
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2008, 07:07:06 AM »
Q101: Is there an item that grants Enlarge Person or a similar effect, other than a wand?

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »
A101: Magic Item Compendium page 73: Belt of Growth.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »
Q102:If you maximize a spell, and get sneak attack with it, does the sneak attack get maximized too?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:26:35 PM by Irthos Levethix »
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »
A102: No.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #288 on: June 22, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
Q103: a) Where is the Battle Jump feat located?
b) Are there any other reccomendations for using a high Jump modifier, if the base character is using the Landshark Boots soulmeld and Sneak Attack? By "high", I mean +19 or higher by around level 3-4.

Current plan is Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, Skill Focus (Jump), Weapon Finesse and Azurin race to get a +19 to Jump at level 3, with three important attributes. I'm interested in things to do from there.
I know gameology-fu.

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2008, 09:08:23 AM »
A103: Oriental Adventures. Also, Thri-Kreen have +30 competence to Jump at ECL 3 (+1 LA, 2 HD).

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2008, 09:17:06 AM »
Q104: If I've got a reach weapon like Guisarme and threaten 5' area with Armor Spikes/Unarmed Strike, do I take Two-Weapon Fighting penalties for taking AoOs with the close-range weapon assuming I haven't attacked with it during my own turn?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 12:39:43 PM by Eldariel »

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2008, 10:27:01 AM »
Q105: The Druid handbook talks about Greater holy Symbols for rebuking animals but neglects to mention a source. Where can I find them and what do they do?
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #292 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:14 AM »
Q105: The Druid handbook talks about Greater holy Symbols for rebuking animals but neglects to mention a source. Where can I find them and what do they do?

According to google, defenders of the faith, though I am not sure if it has been revised to 3.5 or not.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
A 103 a) In Unapproachable East.
b) Tiger Claw maneuvers (Tome of Battle).
From what I understand, the Leap of the Heavens feat is much better than SF: Jump - but I don't remember if the Landshark Boots overlap with that.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »
A 104: Nope, you're fine.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #295 on: June 22, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
Q 106: Using the Earthglide ability, can a creature take another creatures with it into the earth, say through a grapple, since it's a movement mode?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: June 22, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »
A106: Not, unless you can somehow treat them as objects (and thus carry as equipment) or completely engulf them. You could put them into an extradimensional container, like, a Portable Hole.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: June 22, 2008, 11:31:39 PM »
Q 106 b: What about a creature that had a burrow speed or earth glide, plus the swallow whole ability? Could you swallow your opponent, move underground, then spit them out? What happens to your opponent? (I would guess suffocation?)

Hmm, I think in the SRD the Remorhaz is the lowest level monster that can do this. That would be a pretty nasty tactic if you could summon or conjure some of them to do that to your enemies. Just swallow them up and move into the ground. Even if they cut themselves free, they'll be stuck. Are there any other monsters with swallow whole plus burrow/earth glide? Any that are summonable?
---

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
A106b
IIRC
Using RES from unapproachable east, you can summon an earth elemental that has engulf and earth glide.
I think this tactic has been discussed in one of the druid handbooks.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2008, 03:03:43 AM »
Q107 Is there an item that statically puts its controller under the direct, or similar, effect of Enlarge Person the spell? No wands or anything that has less than a 24 hour duration.
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD