Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343374 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #600 on: August 23, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
A228: They do not. However, this little tidbit of information's location is eluding me at the moment. I could have sworn it was in the DMG, but it is doing a very good job hiding from me.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #601 on: August 23, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »
A 228 II

Right here.
Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #602 on: August 23, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
Thanks. I had checked all in the DMG and the PHB, but I didn't think to check the SRD. Duh. :facepalm

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #603 on: August 24, 2008, 07:19:27 AM »
Q229: What happens if a pair of Dvati twins become Dragonborn? The "twins" ability itself is a racial trait, which is then lost. So do they basically fuse together and lose every single racial trait (keeping the Common and Dvati (Dvati being useless without two mouths anyway) languages, the favored class of Bard) they have while retaining LA +1 (so, basically, just sucking at life comparatively)?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:21:04 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #604 on: August 24, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »
A229: I guess, strictly according to the rules, when one of the Dvati runs through that Rite, the other one would just cease to exist, making that level adjustment totally worthless. I personally would think that, in RAI, since there are two distinct bodies and one collective soul, the two would both want to take the Rite, and they would both participate in separate rites and become two Dragonborn creatures.

Even if the Dvati keeps two bodies, they can't speak Dvati without that mental link.

EDIT: What ever happened to asking a 'Simple Question'?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:05:17 PM by Negative Zero »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #605 on: August 24, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
Q 330: Do you need to meet the minimal caster level to cast spells even if your actual class level is enough.  For example, A fighter with the mage slayer feat (-4 caster level) dips Conjurer for Abrupt Jaunt and/or Cleric for Travel Devotion. Your caster level is -3.  Is this character able to cast level 1 spells?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:51:25 AM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #606 on: August 24, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »
A229: I guess, strictly according to the rules, when one of the Dvati runs through that Rite, the other one would just cease to exist, making that level adjustment totally worthless. I personally would think that, in RAI, since there are two distinct bodies and one collective soul, the two would both want to take the Rite, and they would both participate in separate rites and become two Dragonborn creatures.

Even if the Dvati keeps two bodies, they can't speak Dvati without that mental link.

I thought it was pretty simple. It was basically 'yes-or-no.'
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #607 on: August 24, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
Do you need to meet the minimal caster level to cast spells even if your actual class level is enough.  For example, A fighter with the mage slayer feat (-4 caster level) dips Conjurer for Abrupt Jaunt and/or Cleric for Travel Devotion. Your caster level is -3.  Is this character able to cast level 1 spells?

A 330 No. See PHB p172 under Caster Level.
Also, please give a number to your question.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #608 on: August 24, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »

I thought it was pretty simple. It was basically 'yes-or-no.'

I was just joking around. There are few 'Simple' questions in this thread, because a simple question would have a simple resolution. Don't get me wrong; the reason I said that is because I spent like twenty minutes trying to figure out the answer.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #609 on: August 25, 2008, 04:04:59 AM »
A 228: No, they do not. This was an omission in the DMG3.5, though I think it was addressed in the errata. It's in the DMG3.0 however.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #610 on: August 25, 2008, 01:46:23 PM »
Q231: Where is a monster called the 'Locuia' published (book and page number)?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #611 on: August 25, 2008, 02:17:20 PM »
Q231: Where is a monster called the 'Locuia' published (book and page number)?
  Are you sure on that spelling?

I know of the Leucrotta from Monsters of Faerun/Lost Empires.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #612 on: August 25, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »
Very sure, even copy pasted it. It's some sort of massive tentacle thing.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #613 on: August 25, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »
It's not in a D&D book. WotC Monster Index doesn't have it. It's not on the Dragondex. So that rules out the books and dragon mags. A random google search brings up only foreign links, so maybe it's a translated monster?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #614 on: August 25, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »
More investigation suggested it was Romanian. But no translation was available.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2008, 04:46:29 PM »
Do you have any description or abilities?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

iconoplast

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #616 on: August 25, 2008, 06:34:08 PM »
Very sure, even copy pasted it. It's some sort of massive tentacle thing.

Where'd you copy it from? 

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2008, 07:26:59 PM »
The following in game post which resulted from a very high Knowledge: The Planes check. It was a 40, to be exact.

Oisin reacted quickly, aiming into the middle of the warped space as he chanted words of power. This prompted another burst of light, though one far less intense than the previous blinding flash, and a ripping sound that vibrated through the essence of all present. The portal closed.

Thail, rubbing at his eyes to will away the blindness took a moment to notice. "This appears to be a tentacled aberration known as a Locuia. Whether or not it is what they meant to summon is a different question. These things are very dangerous -obviously-, tough as anything in this world or the planes, and in the context is probably dragging everything into Khyber. On the bright side, this is quite a big one. It may have some reach left, but probably no more than double what is already out."

He squinted over to where the portal no longer was, instead the monster seemed to grow out of the solid rock.

"Ah, good. It shan't be growing now then. Well, we can either strike at it from a distance or bury it in rock. It is not going anywhere now."

Other relevant stuff:

The power of artifice, arcana and divine will suffused the cave. Fire and force flew, followed quickly by the cold of the frozen tundras. Cats Eyes screamed as he was flayed alive. His screams were short-lived as a stony fist grabbed him from behind. By the time Aliyana's magic was done with him there was little to identify or even spot.

Another stone fist appeared from the rock, within the wall of force, next to the painting. It reached out and throttled one of the elves, instantly slaying the frail creature. A split-second later there was a rush of power that the casters in the party felt at a molecular level. A blinding flash of light accompanied the rumbling of thunder. It felt like they were in an earthquake.

Their sight returned just in time to see Withers and the elementals (bar the one in the wall behind Cats Eyes) being dragged towards the painting by huge grey-green tentacles covered in biting mouths and running sores. Even the wraith was unable to escape the deadly clutches. The tentacles seemed to erupt from the painting itself but looking too closely was a sure route to insanity as the space around the painting warped farther the more it was examined. The tentacles whipped and screamed trying but failing, for now, to reach Morgan.

Painting = portal to Khyber. Abilities are unknown, except that apparently it's normally bigger than a 60 foot radius but we sealed the portal with an Anti Magic Ray, and as one would expect from that big a heap of tentacles it's some kind of uber grappler with very high damage resistance (not necessarily physical exclusive).

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #618 on: August 25, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »
Sounds like a homebrewed creature. :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #619 on: August 25, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »
Sounds like a homebrewed creature. :D

Most likely yes.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]