Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343381 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #860 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »
A 335b That's arguable - there are good arguments for and against.

A 337 No.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #861 on: October 13, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
Awwww, that takes a lot of the fun out of my idea...Oh well I kinda figured that would be the answer,  thanks for the reply.

Q338 do you lose a level if your brought back from the death via a miracle or wish?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:00:17 PM by Cyrocloud »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #862 on: October 13, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »
A 338 Read the spells.
(Flippant answer but really...
If you don't get it after reading them I'll provide the answer. Think of it in terms of "teaching people to catch fish rather than giving them fish.")
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #863 on: October 14, 2008, 02:34:38 PM »
Q339: The spell Raise Volcano: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a
What exactly is the area in which the victims take 20d6 fire damage (no save)? It says 'the cone', but the only cone I see mentioned is the cone-shaped volcano itself. I assume it doesn't mean that creatures who fall into the volcano take 20d6 of damage, but that's the only logical conclusion I could come up with.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #864 on: October 14, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
A339:
a 10-foot radius around that point swells into a cone 10 feet high
Any creature inside of the cone (falling or flying up) takes 20d6 fire damage each round they remain inside the cone with no saving throw.
Each round you concentrate, the radius of cone [...] grows by 5 feet
the cone collapses into a pit as deep and wide as the cone. One round later the pit closes up; anything inside the pit when it closes is crushed. Those inside the pit take 20d6 points of damage and become entombed in the ground

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #865 on: October 14, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »
Thanks for repeating the text, but I do have the ability to read. The cone it mentions is the 'volcano' itself. In other words, it's made out of dirt and stone. So to be inside of this cone, one would have to be underground. If one is underground, they're hardly falling or flying up, causing the sentence to contradict itself. I'd prefer an answer that actually answers the question.

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #866 on: October 14, 2008, 07:04:16 PM »
Q340

Can I power Divine Metamagic with Rebuke Undead attempts as an evil cleric, or is DMM goodness for good guys only?

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #867 on: October 14, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »
Your volcano looks like this: 10'[..../\__10' radius cone__/\

It grows to this:
../\............................../\....]20'
/....\__20' radius cone__/....\..]

I think they did neglect to accurately describe the "cone" wall but if you stop trying to think about it except "10' radius death zone -> larger death zone" it makes sense mechanically.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: October 14, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »
Oh, so what you're saying is that there is a cone of effect that overlaps the volcano itself at first, and that is what expands, not the volcano itself? That makes a lot more sense. The way I read it, the volcano was expanding as time went on. Okay, thank you.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #869 on: October 14, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
Q341: Can Channel SPell be used with spells cast from a wand?

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #870 on: October 14, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »
Q342: How do the Halfling Druid sub levels affect MoMF wildshape?
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #871 on: October 15, 2008, 01:53:38 AM »
Going by RAW, they don't.  You get Small and Tiny at druid 5, (and large at 8), and whatever MoMF gives you at the levels it specifies.

dobu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #872 on: October 15, 2008, 07:55:02 AM »
Q343 invisibility and detect magic.

is it possible to pinpoint an invisible creature with detect magic, or with (greater) arcane sight? or works invisibility on magical auras as well?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: October 15, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »
A343: Only if the invisible target stood still long enough for the caster to focus three rounds to learn the location of the aura. Refocusing the cone would reset the timer.

For Greater Arcane Sight, by RAW it doesn't work because it isn't a creature or object that you see. It probably shouldn't be too hard to convince your DM otherwise, though.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:12:58 PM by Negative Zero »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #874 on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
Um...

*sees auras coming from seemingly nowhere*
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #875 on: October 15, 2008, 07:20:40 PM »
Q344: Using the item-combining rules in the MIC (Afb right now), would it be possible to combine an item (like say, amulet of natural armor) with the Incarnum focus item from MoI, thus allowing you to benefit from the item (a la Incarnum Focus) and a soulmeld bound to the same chakra?

Q345: In the same vein, I've been thinking about items lately. If you can enhance bracers of armor with special abilities (I know there's a 3.0 source for doing it, but dunno if it's been repeated in 3.5), could one benefit from the special abilities of both the bracers and a magical suit of armor, provided the abilities were different?
This space intentionally left blank.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #876 on: October 15, 2008, 07:37:23 PM »
A344: Natural armor is considered a standard mod. You can definitely add it for the normal price, but I dunno how Incarnum works so I'll stop at that partial answer.

A345: According to about ten different people I asked on WotC, CO, and an arena game yes. The Bracers will end up costing as much as 169k though, which is far more than any other armor.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:06:52 PM by Sunic_Flames »

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #877 on: October 16, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »
Q346: (Eberron) I know Cannith South is stationed out of Breland. Sharn, to be exact. Which one was it that was in Aundair and had the head dating a gnome/demon in disguise? West or East?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #878 on: October 17, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
Q347: Can you cast a Swift action spell or manifest a Swift action power in the middle of a full attack? (Do you have a rules reference for the answer?)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:15:01 PM by ZeroSum »

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #879 on: October 17, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Q347: Can you cast a Swift action spell or manifest a Swift action power in the middle of a full attack?

Yes. So you could say, cast a quickened true strike right after your 3rd attack but just before you make your 4th attack. :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.