Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343449 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #980 on: October 31, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
A376 Only in fairly specific cases :
- Setting Sun throws, in Tome of Battle
- thrown weapons: the Trip Shot ability from the Master Thrower (Complete... Warrior IIRC)
- Confound the Big Folk tactical feat (Races of the Wild) when you're in a bigger creature's square
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #981 on: November 01, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
Reposting over the page break:
Q375: Is there any way to transfer NPC casting (or manifesting) like can be done for magic items herehttp://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a, instead of the 5gp per 1 xp mentioned herehttp://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell? Simply taking the XP hit yourself would really help make certain castings more feasible.

Q377: Lets say a a Monk1/PsyWar7 dual wields a daggers and manifests graft weapon twice. Does his monk damage bonus now apply to the daggers-gone natural weapons making damage actually d8 instead of d4 (just like the fist d3 going to d6 upon Monk1)?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:39:59 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #982 on: November 01, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »
A377: No, no, no no, nonono, no no no. Monk unarmed damage only, only affects unarmed damage, not, never, in no way, natural attacks. And even if the daggers suddenly counted as unarmed strikes, he would do the damage listed for him in the table plus any appropriate unarmed strike damage modifiers; it would not in any way be based off the dagger's damage.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #983 on: November 01, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »
A 376 I don't think there's any rule for that. Ask your DM - it's reasonable.

A 377 I agree with EjoThims emphatic answer. :lol

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #984 on: November 01, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
Q378: Are the setting sun maneuvers in tome of battle still subject to the same limitations plaguing trip in general? For instance, am I unable to use them on foes larger than 1 size category compared to myself? That seems to make it quite limiting, and invalidates the fluff in that setting sun legacy weapon (which basically depicted a boy using a similar move against a giant).  ???
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #985 on: November 02, 2008, 01:57:14 AM »
Wow, nice clear replies :)
Q379: Bonus PP only comes from highest manifesting class for each manifesting-dependent attribute right (ardent+psy war -> 1 bonus PP from wis)? I can't seem to find this in the srd...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #986 on: November 02, 2008, 02:04:22 AM »
A 379 No, you gain them for each class.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #987 on: November 02, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »
Q 380: I've just started Expedition to Castle Ravenloft with my group, and I'm trying to decide how I want to treat the Sunsword.  The book has non-legacy weapon rules for it, as well as Legacy rules for the item.  The non-legacy rules are stronger for the PC's initially (though awakening the blade costs 11,000 gp, as opposed to 2000 gp for the Legacy first step).  I'm debating if I should use an amalgamation of the two rules.  The non-legacy rules impose a legacy-like penalty to hit points anyway.  I was thinking to have it be the non-legacy write-up initially, but then allow the PC's to make the further costs to enhance the blade more (Legacy step 2 is 13,000 gp, so I'll make them only pay the difference = 4,000 gp).
The main difference is that the non-legacy weapon becomes +4 vs evil creatures, just like a sunblade.  The Legacy weapon does not have this property, but does eventually become an outright +4 weapon.

Would it be amiss of me to treat it as having the "normal" sunblade properties initially (with the higher initial cost), but then allow the PC to grow the weapon, such that at "step 2" it would be treated as an outright +3 weapon, but still function as a +4 weapon vs evil?  From there it would then become a straight +4 weapon, and then surpass it as levels increased.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #988 on: November 02, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »
A 380) Not a "simple" question. But a blend of abilities would likely better suit the PCs needs. the +4 vs. evil is probably a D(?) Rank ability, so consider having it gain one less special when it becomes lesser legacy-any of the abilities that only cost 1 level.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #989 on: November 02, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »
Q381 Is there any PrC that advances sneak attack and divine spellcasting?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #990 on: November 02, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »
A381:Temple Raider of Olidamara (CD), though it's a separate spellcasting.  IIRC, Shadowbane Stalker (CAd) has limited SA advancement.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #991 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »
A381:Temple Raider of Olidamara (CD), though it's a separate spellcasting.  IIRC, Shadowbane Stalker (CAd) has limited SA advancement.
Daggerspell Shaper (CAd) also does this, but requires Wild Shape. Oddly enough, Spellwarp Sniper (CS) can also advance divine casting
I know gameology-fu.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #992 on: November 02, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »
A381c Black Flame Zealot from Complete Divine does, although it's a pretty crappy PrC.  It's only 1/2 casting and advances SA +3d6.

If you're allowed to use non-official material, Rich Burlew created the Divine Trickster over at giantITP.  It's basically meant to be a mirror of the Arcane Trickster from the DMG, but for divine classes.  It has 10/10 casting progression and +5d6 SA, as well as some other goodies, such as the ability to blow Turn attempts to be able to Sneak Attack undead creatures.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #993 on: November 02, 2008, 10:41:35 PM »

Honorary Mention to the Chameleon PrC which will give you 6th level divine spells from any divine spell list at 20th caster level(read: Hunter's Eye Ranger 2nd-level spell. swift action, 1 round duration, +1d6 SA/3 CL)

Combine with a level of Cleric/Cloistered Cleric to fuel Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell for all-day SA. Remember your Bead of Karma for CL 24 for +8d6.
Also 3/day Mimic Sneak Attack +3d6 (no action) as an added bonus. Sorta meh, but it's free.

Chameleon: Everything you ever wanted for your mid level game.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #994 on: November 03, 2008, 02:34:19 AM »
Q382: There are several spells in Dragon Magic that give bonuses just for learning them, usually small resistances or competence bonuses to skills. Are there any other books with spells that give bonuses for learning or preparing them?

Bonus question!
Q383: What's the easiest way for a wizard to pass the activation challenge for the Highest Spire magical location in Complete Scoundrel with minimal investment of feats/skills? (DC 25 Climb check with no magical assistance). The best I can think of is psychic reformation to re-arrange some skill points temporarily, but there's got to be a better way.
This space intentionally left blank.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #995 on: November 03, 2008, 09:39:50 AM »

Arcane trickster's spellcasting advancement can theoretically be applied to divine spellcasting, only problem is actually qualifying for said prc because it requires arcane casting capabilities... :D
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #996 on: November 03, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »
A382: Races of Eberron has spells with the Mindset descriptor that give certain races a bonus when having them prepared.

A383: Hold onto a friendly Fighter's back the whole time. "The ban against magic is the only rule once climbing begins. Interfering with other climbers is frowned upon but not prohibited."
Well, you asked for the easiest way. :-P

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #997 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »

Q384: There was a trick to making the Petal a PC-able race by adding Incarnate Construct to it; the -2 LA from Incarnate Construct negates the +2 cohort only LA. I don't remember how to make the Petal a construct though, since you can only apply IC on constructs. Is there a missing step to make it work?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #998 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:41 PM »
A384: Construct grafts perhaps? A failed save changes your type to construct...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #999 on: November 03, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »
A 384 I don't think negating the LA will make it playable by PCs...
I've seen Captured One (MM2) used in theoretical builds - it has no LA - to make better races. I actually don't know of any playable (with a defined LA) template that makes you a construct.