Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342901 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #820 on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »
A319: Ex and that's it.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

tana-san

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #821 on: October 03, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
Q320a:Q320b:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 01:31:49 AM by tana-san »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #822 on: October 03, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
A 319b I direct you to the Master of Many Forms handbook (the link is to a Google cache since the WotC boards are down) at the beginning of which you'll find the latest wildshape rules.
I'm doing this because I'm not sure what you mean by "retain". You retain your own Ex/Sp/Su qualities except the ones depending on a body part (breath weapon/gaze attack). You lose your Ex attacks and gain those of the new form.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

dobu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: October 03, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
Q321 What happens to the casting time of a spontaneously converted spell, with a normal casting time of a swift action? is it still a swift action, or a standard action, or a full-round action?
example: a wizard with the spontaneous divination ACF converts his lvl7 slot in a 'persisted hunter's eye'. what's the casting time?

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #824 on: October 03, 2008, 09:45:41 PM »
A321:Since you spontaneously cast a spell with a metamagic feat, it's a full-round action.
I know gameology-fu.

dobu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #825 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »
A321:Since you spontaneously cast a spell with a metamagic feat, it's a full-round action.
sorry didn't say that in the opening sentence. i meant a sponaneously converted metamagicked spell, as given in the example :D

do you have any source for that? i can't find the rules for the swift action casting, just for standard action (which is a full-orund action then).

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: October 03, 2008, 10:13:51 PM »
A 319b I direct you to the Master of Many Forms handbook (the link is to a Google cache since the WotC boards are down) at the beginning of which you'll find the latest wildshape rules.
I'm doing this because I'm not sure what you mean by "retain". You retain your own Ex/Sp/Su qualities except the ones depending on a body part (breath weapon/gaze attack). You lose your Ex attacks and gain those of the new form.

This is what I meant, if I have, say Eldritch Blast, can I use that while Wildshaped?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #827 on: October 03, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »
A 319c Yes you can use Eldritch Blast while wildshaped. You keep 99% of the stuff derived from class levels.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #828 on: October 03, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
sorry didn't say that in the opening sentence. i meant a sponaneously converted metamagicked spell, as given in the example :D

do you have any source for that? i can't find the rules for the swift action casting, just for standard action (which is a full-orund action then).
From both the PHB and the SRD, verbatim:
Quote from: PHB, Spontaneous Casting and Metamagic Feats
Casting a 1-action metamagic spell spontaneously is a full-round action, and a spell with a longer casting time takes an extra full-round action to cast.
Swift-action spells take 1 action: a swift action. Therefore, metamagicked swift action spells take a full round to cast.
I know gameology-fu.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: October 04, 2008, 10:52:21 PM »
Q322: When a higher-level Archivist uses his dark knowledge ability, does he choose between effects (puissance, tactics, etc), or does he provide all those effects at the same time?

If you can, please give me a source for this ruling, I've been all over trying to figure it out. When I first read the class, I thought it was one or the other, but upon a second read of it, I can't actually see anything that indicates the buffs wouldn't ALL happen.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #830 on: October 04, 2008, 11:31:42 PM »
A 332 In my opinion, only one. But it is rather unclear.

In a key place like "The archivist's dark knowledge can affect a single creature or all creatures of the same race, depending on the effect used.", 'effect' isn't used at the plural.

But "an archivist can draw upon his expansive knowledge of monsters, granting his allies benefits against the creatures they face."

When there's an ambiguity I try to look to Practical Op... which doesn't help that much here (it doesn't say that you can and at the same times it also says so). Ultimately, I feel like it would be too strong if all the benefits were available together (because they already have crazy-ood spellcasting) so I limit it. I am aware this is not quite RAW !
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:40:20 PM by Omen of Peace »

Korwin

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #831 on: October 05, 2008, 11:44:34 AM »
A315: Polymorph Any Object works as Polymorph, except where listed. Nowhere does it list additional available types. So no, you cannot become an outsider using PAO.

Add-On to Q315:
You could temporary gain the outsider-type with spells like Fiendform and then use Polymorph Any Object to change into an similiar form to make it permanent.
RAW, if your GM lets you do this is another question...

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #832 on: October 05, 2008, 12:47:35 PM »
Q323: Not counting the 1/encounter skill trick Swift Concentration, and the high DC feat Extraordinary Concentration, what means are there to maintain concentration on a SLA as a Swift action?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #833 on: October 05, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »
A323:There is a way to make your familiar concentrate for you.  Don't remember what that way is though
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #834 on: October 05, 2008, 12:53:40 PM »
A323:There is a way to make your familiar concentrate for you.  Don't remember what that way is though

SLA though. This is for a demon (no class levels).
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #835 on: October 05, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »

I am not aware of such an ability.  Can anyone verify this?

I know there's a feat that lets a psion's pet rock concentrate for you though, is that what you're thinking of?
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #836 on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »
A323 addition: according to the feat index: Familiar Concentration    LostEmpires    page 8     In the tradition of Narfell's ancient summoners, your familiar can concentrate to maintain spells for you.  I think I've seen it elsewhere too, not sure.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #837 on: October 05, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
I know there's a feat that lets a psion's pet rock concentrate for you though, is that what you're thinking of?
Not a feat, a power : Solicit Psicrystal.

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #838 on: October 06, 2008, 05:43:40 AM »
Q324: Is there a way, no matter how weird or difficult, to make a warforged undead?

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #839 on: October 06, 2008, 06:06:02 AM »
A324: The only thing that comes to mind is Half-Dragon to Skeletal/Vampiric/Zombie Dragon. I'm sure there are other ways. Perhaps Feral to Necropolitian, though I don't remember what Feral has for requirements. Construct is a hard type to apply templates too.