Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342899 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #880 on: October 17, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
A 347b I think the Sage ruled it didn't work for ToB stuff (no boost or change of stance in the middle of a full-attack) but I'm AFB so I can't check all the rulings.
Do you have a source, Runestar ?
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #881 on: October 17, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »
Actions cannot be interrupted unless stated otherwise.  I can't find that ruling though...
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #882 on: October 17, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »
Well, the SRD does state that a swift action may be performed any time you could use a free action, and free actions generally have no limitations placed on them. I am not sure about stances bit, but if that were true, it is likely a limitation on stances alone (and not representative of swift actions as a whole).

I was extrapolating it from this FAQ entry.

Can a character with Quick Draw and a base attack bonus of +6 or better make a melee attack with one weapon and a ranged attack with another weapon in the same round? What if the melee weapon requires two hands to wield?

If you can interrupt your normal full-attack routine by dropping and drawing new weapons, I don't see why you cannot substitute that with casting a quickened spell.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #883 on: October 18, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »
After checking my books, I agree with you. :)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #884 on: October 18, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Q348: Why do all the reach builds use Armour Spikes instead of just wearing a Spiked Gauntlet? This should have even greater priority if the builds get natural reach from size, etc. Still, you very rarely see Spiked Gauntlets mentioned, even on builds without IUS or monk levels. Is it only to avoid being grappled? The disadvantage being, for instance, a large character wielding a reach weapon has 20ft reach and can't attack within 10ft. Now if a medium creature somehow gets inside the 20ft reach and then uses a reach weapon of his own, the large character can't even hit back (without taking a five foot step, at least) with armour spikes nor his weapon. Is there something I am missing that makes spikes superior to spiked gauntlets?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #885 on: October 18, 2008, 10:56:46 AM »
A348: If both hands are on your weapon, can you attack with one independently of that weapon? That's the most likely reason.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #886 on: October 18, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »
A348: If both hands are on your weapon, can you attack with one independently of that weapon? That's the most likely reason.
It's a free action to remove one hand from the weapon. Seems fine to me. You could even do the first iterative at an opponent 20ft away with the polearm, and then hit an adjacent opponent with your fist, or vice versa.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #887 on: October 18, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »
It's a free action to remove one hand from the weapon. Seems fine to me. You could even do the first iterative at an opponent 20ft away with the polearm, and then hit an adjacent opponent with your fist, or vice versa.

Only problem is that free actions can only be performed during your turn (except for speaking), so you cannot make AoOs on other people's turns with your spiked gauntlet, since you can't relinquish your grip on the 2-handed weapon.

Me - I would just use a spiked chain and save myself all this hassle... :D
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #888 on: October 18, 2008, 06:04:45 PM »
Q348: Since I keep hearing back and forth, but never a definitive answer, is a character's (or monster's) spellcasting ability an EX, SU, or SLA? This effects feats or other abilities that rely on ability categorization...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #889 on: October 18, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »
A348: Spellcasting ability is just that, "Spellcasting ability", as far as feats are concerned. Spell level available and type (Divine/Arcane) are often referenced. Casting class or list is also referenced. They are not Ex, Su or SLA's; they are spells. If they are not referenced, nor their parent rules referenced (they are magical, thus affected by the rules of magic), then they are not affected.

Edit: I'd have to say that this is grayer than I thought, but that Spells are class abilities, although some creatures get them without character classes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:56:39 PM by Chemus »
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #890 on: October 18, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
Q349: Is there any way to gain "phantom ranks" or something to qualify for a feat or something that has a minimum number of ranks before you actually have those ranks?
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #891 on: October 18, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »
A 349 There's a 2-feat chain in Cityscape that allows you to go over the normal maximum skill rank limit by 1 - that way you can qualify 1 level early if you have 2 (!!) feats to burn.
I'm not aware of anything else but it might be easier if you were more explicit about what you're trying to achieve.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #892 on: October 18, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »
The epic feat Battle Dance ASAP.  It requires 30 ranks in a perform skill.  Other than that just easy ability requirements and it's epic (It's for a kobold).

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #893 on: October 19, 2008, 01:00:43 AM »
I don't know of any way to effectively have 30 ranks in a skill. I do know that I had a Kobold Psion eligible for Polyglot at level 1, but that requires high int, not ranks.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #894 on: October 19, 2008, 01:37:14 PM »
Nope, can't think of anything else. Where is that feat from ?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #895 on: October 19, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#polyglot

:P

Another example of an epic feat not worth the title.

And don't forget:

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #896 on: October 19, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »
To clarify, in case people get confused by Sunic's antics: I wonder where Battle Dance is from.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #897 on: October 19, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
My 'antics' were to answer the apparent question. *stare*

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email

Magic Ninja

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #899 on: October 19, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
Q: Whats the best way of hitting rediculously high ac's? Say your fighting a cleric with magic vestments running, and greater magic weapons on defending armor spikes.

A:Found my own answer  :D , Page 110 of the MiC, the heartseeking amulet. 3 uses a day, and it's cheap enough to have more than 1 on you just in case.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:12:23 AM by Magic Ninja »