Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344218 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1360 on: December 24, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »
Q497: Knockback from Races of Stone 142 states that knockback does not provoke AoOs, unlike normal Bull Rush. So does that mean you do not provoke, the soon to be projectile does not provoke, or both?
You don't provoke. So yeah, this feature is worthless if you already have improved bull rush. I am fairly sure the target would probably still provoke if he left the threatened squares of other PCs.

And you have to have Improved Bull Rush to take it. So really, all Improved Bull Rush is doing is making your numbers a little bigger. Oh well, can still send stuff flying for AoO fests.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1361 on: December 24, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
Q499: One of the prereqs for Prestige Paladin is the ability to cast Protection From Evil as a Divine Spell.
Would Southern Magician work for this if using a full Arcane caster? I seem to remember some debate about this, not sure though.
Are there any other ways to achieve the same goal with a full Arcane caster?

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1362 on: December 24, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
Q500: Are there any feats out there that let your effective Druid level stack with your arcane caster class(es) when determing the abilities of your Animal Companion?
I'm looking for something similar to Theurgic Mount (Dragon 325), but with an Animal Companion instead of a Special Mount :)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1363 on: December 24, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
Q500: Are there any feats out there that let your effective Druid level stack with your arcane caster class(es) when determing the abilities of your Animal Companion?
I'm looking for something similar to Theurgic Mount (Dragon 325), but with an Animal Companion instead of a Special Mount :)

~Bowen

A500:
Theurgic Bond is what you're looking for.

Edited. I failed at Internet :( (looked up ubermount, googled "theurgic bond", third result was titled "Issue # 321" but was actually about issue 325 @.@)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:07:06 PM by Emy »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1364 on: December 24, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »

~Bowen

A500:
I don't have the relevant Dragon issue (#321), but I think that Theurgic Bond is what you're looking for.
Actually, Theurgic Bond is in 325 as well. On the very same page as Mount, in fact.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1365 on: December 24, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1366 on: December 24, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »
Regarding Q499: So, according to the FAQ, Southern Magician won't work...

Q501: How 'official' is the FAQ? :P
Q502: Are there any other ways a pure Arcane caster can cast Divine spells? (Specifically looking at Calm Animals and Protection From Evil as Divine spells here)

Thanks,
~Bowen

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1367 on: December 24, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
Q502: Are there any other ways a pure Arcane caster can cast Divine spells? (Specifically looking at Calm Animals and Protection From Evil as Divine spells here)
A 502

There's Alternative Source Spell, also from Dragon 325.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1368 on: December 24, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
A 502

Wouldn't Arcane Disciple work for this?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ChristopherGroves

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #1369 on: December 24, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »
They are still treated as arcane spells.

Rainbow Servant would work once you get the capstone.  Spells not on the arcane list are treated as divine spells I believe.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1370 on: December 24, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
A 502

Which unfortunately requires the ability to already cast Divine spells...

Arcane Disciple still counts as Arcane spells IIRC

And Rainbow Servant is kinda late :P

Thanks though :)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1371 on: December 24, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »
A 502

Which unfortunately requires the ability to already cast Divine spells...

Arcane Disciple still counts as Arcane spells IIRC

And Rainbow Servant is kinda late :P

Thanks though :)
In a pinch, try rebuilding. ;)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1372 on: December 24, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »
That's too cheesy, even for me :P
(And I already have a Divine Minion Druid/Planar Shepherd with Aberration Wildshape, Frozen Wilshape, Assume Supernatural Ability and DMM(Persist) cheese...
As a cohort! :P)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1373 on: December 24, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
(And I already have a Divine Minion Druid/Planar Shepherd with Aberration Wildshape, Frozen Wilshape, Assume Supernatural Ability and DMM(Persist) cheese...

Assume Supernatural ability, you say? Where's that? Sounds like something I could have fun with.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1374 on: December 24, 2008, 03:53:48 PM »
Savage Species.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #1375 on: December 24, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

Hmr? What campaign is that cohort in and how hard did you have to try to not break the game.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1376 on: December 24, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »
It's in the current game I have with some friends at uni.
It's mostly there as a back-up for when all else fails.
I made a gentlemen's agreement with the DM (the only other optimizer in the game, only 3 PCs by the way) to not use it to it's full potential unless we really are severely fucked (hasn't happened so far).
It's basically the party's insurance, I don't even think the other players  even know what it can do :P

~Bowen

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1377 on: December 27, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
Quote from: From the Lycanthrope Template
Check (Involuntary Change): An afflicted character must make a check at moonrise each night of the full moon to resist involuntarily assuming animal form. An injured character must also check for an involuntary change after accumulating enough damage to reduce his hit points by one-quarter and again after each additional one-quarter lost.

Involuntary Change Control
Shape DC
Resist involuntary change 25

On a failed check, the character must remain in animal form until the next dawn, when he automatically returns to his base form. A character aware of his condition may make one attempt to return to humanoid form (see below), but if he fails, he remains in animal form until the next dawn.

Q 503: So, am I correct in my understanding that a lycanthrope cannot assume hybrid form until he is aware he is afflicted with lycanthropy?  And it is also impossible to assume hybrid form without assuming the alignment of the lycanthrope strain in question (as it appears there is no way to involuntarily assume hybrid form)?

Q 504: Suppose an afflicted lycanthrope took 1/4 hp damage, thus triggering a control shape check to resist changing shape into a wolf.  The DC is 20.  The DC to assume hybrid form is 15.  If he gets a 17 on his control shape check, could he then choose to assume hybrid form rather than animal form, or does that take a seperate check?  Basically, can he do well enough on the check to "partially stop" the transformation into full animal form?  Would this be a legitimate way for someone to achieve hybrid form without assuming an alignment change?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1378 on: December 27, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »
Q's 503 & 504 (Partial answer) to avoid assuming the alignment, they can be (AFB, so bear w/ me) a PrC Cleric or Druid of Selune (Forgotten Realms) which gives that as a special ability.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1379 on: December 27, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
Q505: Aside from Wall of Ice, are there any wall spells that can fill a horizontal (not vertical!) space atop other wall spells?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]