Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344206 times)

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1860 on: February 05, 2009, 02:32:24 PM »
You take none of the aging penalties and gain all of the benefits o_O? Great, thanks.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1861 on: February 05, 2009, 02:40:49 PM »
Do note that after reaching Venerable, a Kobold without a Cha mod will have about one year to live.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #1862 on: February 05, 2009, 02:47:05 PM »
Q659:

How much does a Cleric (that starts) with no domains but full BAB suck compared to a regular Cleric? Specifically at low levels (1-6) before they can really start multiclassing for domains or whatnot. A little (Tier 2), moderately (Tier 3), utterly (Tier 4+). I think they may dip only a little, maybe bottom Tier 1, top Tier 2. Is not using DMM a bigger nerf?

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1863 on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
A: If you want full BAB then take DMM with Divine Power for Full BAB 24hrs a day, +6 enhancement to strength and +1xHD temporary HP.

Answering the question directly, you would be nerfing yourself quite harshly without good reason, but you would still be able to do a lot of things other classes could not.

Q: 660, what are some easy/cheap ways to get immortality in DnD? Not to die for a long time from natural aging... so a venerable kobold lives for a long time >_> Immortality, or a greatly expanded lifespan required.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:55:09 PM by Takanaki »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1864 on: February 05, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Yeah, it'd be a pretty harsh change. I love Domains, they're awesome. Also remember that you're robbing the Cleric of one spell per level. That alone would be enough to justify full BAB. But then losing the access to some Arcane spells, combined with the loss of granted powers, really hurts.

A660: Unfortunately, immunity to old age death is quite difficult to find. But don't worry too much. If you have a Metallic dragon as your Dragonwrought choice, that'll add ten years per point of Cha mod. It's five years for Chromatic dragons.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1865 on: February 05, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
Q: 660, what are some easy/cheap ways to get immortality in DnD? Not to die for a long time from natural aging... so a venerable kobold lives for a long time >_> Immortality, or a greatly expanded lifespan required.
A 660

The cheapest that comes to mind right off the top of my head would be turning yourself into a necropolitan... which, incidentally, I just realized doesn't work. Darn.

If you're a caster, perhaps take Ruathar, which slaps another 50% onto your max age, and get as much Charisma as feasible within your build. If you're a Cha-based caster, you should face no problems since Cha will be maxed anyway, though Ruathar is still a nice dip. Has awkward fluff reqs for a Kobold, though.

Dread Necro 20 will turn you into an undead, this works even on non-humanoids. For a Dragon option, there's Death Master, which turns you into a Lich. Green Star Adept 10 turns you into a Construct, but loses you 5 levels of casting progression.

Also, there's a magical location, a pool or well or something ("Spring of Youth", perhaps), which, if drunk from regularly, will make every year you age count as a day - effectively multiplying your life span by 365.25, assuming normal earth years.
EDIT: Found it. It's the Timeless Fountain, from Secrets of Xen'drik page 143. You can drink from it 1/year, and whenever you do so, you only age one day in the following year.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:35:22 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1866 on: February 05, 2009, 03:08:12 PM »
If you're evil, you could consider becoming a Dracolich.

Futher, you'll need your DM to judge the age thing. It just says +Cha years to the age of Dragonwrought Kobolds. It doesn't say if it means modifier or score. Most assume mod, but you might be able to convince your DM that it means score.

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #1867 on: February 05, 2009, 03:10:18 PM »
Q661:  Where is Knowledge Devotion at?  I know what it is and what it does, but I've never actually seen it in a book.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1868 on: February 05, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »
Q661:  Where is Knowledge Devotion at?  I know what it is and what it does, but I've never actually seen it in a book.

Complete Champion.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1869 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
a660

Expanded Psionic race Elan. You age for or 3 catagories but you have no max age and it states they will live indefinitely. Plus your not undead so no special vulnerabilities, but no immunities either. It is in srd but doesn't have any of the age stuff in there.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1870 on: February 05, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
a660

Expanded Psionic race Elan. You age for or 3 catagories but you have no max age and it states they will live indefinitely. Plus your not undead so no special vulnerabilities, but no immunities either. It is in srd but doesn't have any of the age stuff in there.
Yes, it does. Right here. Also, while the question itself wasn't explicitly about kobolds, the context implies that he's looking for ways to make a kobold immortal.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1871 on: February 05, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »
If you're evil, you could consider becoming a Dracolich.

Futher, you'll need your DM to judge the age thing. It just says +Cha years to the age of Dragonwrought Kobolds. It doesn't say if it means modifier or score. Most assume mod, but you might be able to convince your DM that it means score.

I'd say it's "per point of charisma score" rather than by charisma modifier, simply because this is how I remember Dragon life spans being calculated in Draconomicon.

IIRC, a dragon lives for 1200 years, plus 50*charisma score (chromatic), or plus 100*charisma score (metallic)... so it would be most fitting that a dragonwrought kobold lives for 120 years plus 5*charisma or 10*charisma.

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #1872 on: February 05, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »

Complete Champion.

Of course it's complete champion, because that's the one complete book I don't have. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1873 on: February 05, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
There are ways to acquire it ;)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1874 on: February 05, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »
A:660
When you have a year left before you die of old age, commit suicide in the MOST AWESOME MANNER POSSIBLE.  Attack a T-REX by jumping onto it out of an airship with a surfboard that's MADE OF POISON KNIVES and ON FIRE.  While holding onto a mithril kite IN A THUNDERSTORM.  Oh, and the T-rex belongs to the party druid, and is covered in spikes, and BURNING WITH FIRE.  THE FLAMES ARE MADE OF ELECTRICITY.  

The electricity is also on fire.

Then, have the party druid cast reincarnate on you.  Given that you explicitly retain your feats and class abilities, you'll now be a venerable dragonwrought random race, in a young adult body.  Keep your age bonuses, lose your age penalties, have a 96 (+1*dm discretion)% chance of getting better physical scores, and extend the rest of your life.  

You'll no longer qualify for epic feats, but honestly A) they aren't very good, and B) nobody really allows it anyway.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:32:16 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1875 on: February 05, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
TML, that was equal parts win and awesome :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1876 on: February 05, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
BEST SUICIDE EVAR!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1877 on: February 05, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »
A:660
When you have a year left before you die of old age, commit suicide in the MOST AWESOME MANNER POSSIBLE.  Attack a T-REX by jumping onto it out of an airship with a surfboard that's MADE OF POISON KNIVES and ON FIRE.  While holding onto a mithril kite IN A THUNDERSTORM.  Oh, and the T-rex belongs to the party druid, and is covered in spikes, and BURNING WITH FIRE.  THE FLAMES ARE MADE OF ELECTRICITY.  

The electricity is also on fire.

Then, have the party druid cast reincarnate on you.  Given that you explicitly retain your feats and class abilities, you'll now be a venerable dragonwrought random race, in a young adult body.  Keep your age bonuses, lose your age penalties, have a 96 (+1*dm discretion)% chance of getting better physical scores, and extend the rest of your life.  

You'll no longer qualify for epic feats, but honestly A) they aren't very good, and B) nobody really allows it anyway.

Oh reincarnate cheese, what won't you fix? It's also possible you'll live to venerable once more, accumulating more bonuses. Then you do it again.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1878 on: February 05, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
Wait a second.  Don't use reincarnate.  Use that other spell that's exactly like reincarnate, but only works the round after you die, and doesn't result in level loss.  Last breath, or something like that.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1879 on: February 05, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
Wait a second.  Don't use reincarnate.  Use that other spell that's exactly like reincarnate, but only works the round after you die, and doesn't result in level loss.  Last breath, or something like that.

yup SC p130 and it is cheaper than reincarnate as well. 500gp of stuff vs 1000
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren