Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344210 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2008, 05:53:41 AM »
A116: Yes. Since it does not state that they must be different, you could choose the same one 3 times. For example, choosing flurry of blows three times would allow you to spend 4 inspiration points to get flurry of blows for 1 minute. You could do so three times that day.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2008, 07:25:54 AM »
... That is sick. So, then you could choose Inspiration three times (while it is not explicitly an (Ex) ability, it was said somewhere that for abilities that are not clearly labeled, they are (Ex) if there is not any clearly supernatural aspect of effect of the ability, and inspiration is simply "seemingly random body of knowledge" from which he or she "manages to pull out something useful when the situation is desperate enough."), giving yourself four times the inspiration you would normally have. This, combined with Font of Inspiration and the Pact Insidious and Pact Certain could mean a lot of Cunning Surges. :)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #322 on: July 02, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »
Q 120: Why can the Improved Cold Endurance feat (Frostburn) be taken up to 3 times, but the Improved Heat Endurance feat (Sandstorm) be taken only once?  Just because the writers didn't feel like being consistent?

Q 121: What other ways are there to increase Fire resistance via a permanent ability (feat preferred, but low-level class ability may be ok)? 

There is the Forgeheart feat from PGtF, but it's dwarf only, and there is the [Improved] Fire Heritage line in the Planar Handbook, but that's all I could find.

The goal is to apply said abilities to Goliath to make them Half-fire giants for a norse campaign homebrew setting.  I could just rule that Improved Heat Endurance can be taken 3 times, but if there is a simple way to just take one other feat, I'd prefer to use that instead.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: July 02, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
A120: While we can only guess at the intent of the designers, my guess would be that because fire damage is more widespread and thus defense against it - more valuable.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: July 02, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »
Q122: Are there any efficient low-level (talking 5 and below here) tactics/feats against Tripping beyond maxing Str/Dex for melee characters?

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #325 on: July 02, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »
A122: Off the top off my head, Steadfast Boots cost 1400g and give you pluses against tripping, bull rush, etc... And there's a maneuver in the ToB, Roots of the Mountain I think, that'll give you a +10 vs. tripping and the like.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2008, 06:15:12 AM »
Q123: I've seen this many times; "Use shrink item, then permanency it, then use shrink item again." Is there some clause about spell overlap (you only get the best effect of the same spell multiple times) that I'm unaware of?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: July 03, 2008, 06:46:02 AM »
This isn't really an answer to your question as you phrased it, so I won't label this as Q123, but with Shrink Item and Flesh to Stone/Stone to Flesh, the argument that supports stacking it is that any changes made when the subject is stone are retained when the subject becomes flesh once more. Incidentally, this just made me realize that you don't even need permanency because the changes are retained as per the clause in Stone to Flesh... and even if Shrink Item could expire (which the clause suggests would not have any effect as the changes are already made), then it could be argued that it is not reversed because you are no longer an object when it expires.

As for using it on actual items (things you don't use flesh to stone/stone to flesh on), I have no idea about the rules for stacking such effects.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: July 03, 2008, 07:33:50 AM »
A123:
You are able to shrink one nonmagical item (if it is within the size limit) to 1/16 of its normal size [..]
The second spell would not shrink the item further because it checks the item's normal size instead of it's current size which is no longer normal.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:36:06 AM by CannibalSmith »

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: July 03, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
A123:
You are able to shrink one nonmagical item (if it is within the size limit) to 1/16 of its normal size [..]
The second spell would not shrink the item further because it checks the item's normal size instead of it's current size which is no longer normal.

This does seem logical in the normal case (simply casting it multiple times on an object). As for the Flesh to Stone/Stone to Flesh combination, however, I would argue that the "normal" size of the resulting statue (to be shrunk) is the size of the creature turned into stone. Thus, if you shrink the statue and turn it back into a creature (retaining changes) and then turn it into a statue again, the "normal" size of the new statue would be the reduced size. That's my perspective, at least.

As far as just repeated casting on an object, however, I do agree with your conclusion.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »
But there is no "new" statue - it's the same object/creature with the first Shrink Item still running on it.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
But there is no "new" statue - it's the same object/creature with the first Shrink Item still running on it.

No, the first shrink item can expire and it shouldn't matter. When you transform flesh to stone, any physical changes suffered while it is stone are retained in the physical form when it is transformed back. So if you shrink the stone, the creature would be tiny (they were really intending that if you break its nose off, it would lack a nose, for instance, but the wording is not so narrow). Then you transform your now tiny creature to stone, resulting in a new, small statue.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #332 on: July 03, 2008, 12:02:29 PM »
Q 124: I'm away from my books at the moment, and can't recall the 3 gods worshiped in FR's Rasheman.  I beleive Chauntea is one of them, and Mystra another, but who is the third?  And what are their portfolios? (Chauntea is agriculture, growth, etc; Mystra is magic)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #333 on: July 03, 2008, 12:28:42 PM »
A124: The last favored deity is Mielikki.

Chauntea: Agriculture, farmers, gardeners, summer, plants cultivated by humans.
Mielikki: Forests, forest creatures, rangers, dryads, autumn.
Mystra: Magic, spells, the Weave.

Think that about covers it.  ;)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #334 on: July 03, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »
Thanks much. +1 fu for you!

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #335 on: July 03, 2008, 02:45:51 PM »
Q125 I have to ask if shrinking counts as being broken or damaged, from this clause:
Quote from: SRD
"...If the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities..."

I'm NOT trying to argue a case, but have often wondered if the system presented to become any very very tiny size was valid.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: July 03, 2008, 02:54:53 PM »
A125: No hit point damage takes place, so no.

bayar

• Email
« Reply #337 on: July 03, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
Q 126: Is Soothing voice from the Half-elf Bard substitution level from Races of Destiny a standard action to activate according to the general bardic music description or 1 minute according to the diplomancy skill rules ?

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: July 03, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
A122: Off the top off my head, Steadfast Boots cost 1400g and give you pluses against tripping, bull rush, etc... And there's a maneuver in the ToB, Roots of the Mountain I think, that'll give you a +10 vs. tripping and the like.

Thanks a bunch. Any low-level spells, (psionic) powers, feats or such you could think of?

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #339 on: July 03, 2008, 10:28:26 PM »
A122b: There's a feat called Combat Stability in the PHBII that gives you a +4 and eventually a +8 against disarms, trips, etc... But it's only really worth it if you take Combat Focus and Combat Vigor along with it.

As for spells, the lvl 2 spell Mountain Stance in the Spell Compendium gives you a bonus equal to caster level. And I'm not sure, AFB, but I think the spell Resinous Tar makes the floor sticky and makes you hard to move, Complete Mage perhaps? Psionics I can't help you with, never used them before. Hope this helps.