Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138598 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #600 on: November 12, 2010, 01:23:16 PM »
Q185:  I'm reading "Hammer", the psion power.  What is the action needed to make the touch attacks with it?  Is it a standard?  I can't find rules that say that a "melee touch attack" is always a standard action.
It's not always a standard action. It's an attack action, unless the specific ability says otherwise. So it works like arcangel.arcanis said. So you could make full attack with this, just as you can make full attacks with spells like Chill Touch.
They dropped attack action some where between D20M and 3.5. I kinda liked that your number of actions could be dictated by BaB, but that is another discussion.
Uhh... it's still in the SRD.
D20M basically redefined Standard actions as Attack actions. What you linked to said that with a standard action you can make an attack. There isn't a whole lot of difference until you get into the horrible interpretation a player with one of my old groups forced on us. They saw it as essentially every iterative attack giving you another standard action. I never got to play in a game they ran with that rule otherwise I would have made a gish tossing 4 spells a round 5 with quicken.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #601 on: November 12, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »
q186 Gaze attacks are still confusing the heck out of me.  Are they a passive ability that affects everyone, including my allies, within range?  Why then does fearsome mask (MOI) not specify a range?
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #602 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
q186 Gaze attacks are still confusing the heck out of me.  Are they a passive ability that affects everyone, including my allies, within range?  Why then does fearsome mask (MOI) not specify a range?

The typical range is 30 feetEach opponent within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw each round at the beginning of his or her turn in the initiative order. Only looking directly at a creature with a gaze attack leaves an opponent vulnerable. Opponents can avoid the need to make the saving throw by not looking at the creature, in one of two ways.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #603 on: November 12, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
Q187: I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but search failed me.  What do you do with an Achorn of Far Travel?

So far I have Sanctum Spell, Rangers vanishing as if they were under trees, Hallow.

I guess I'm looking for more things like Sanctum Spell and Hallow if such things exist.  The Hathran thing is another good one I know about.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #604 on: November 12, 2010, 06:20:02 PM »
Q187: I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but search failed me.  What do you do with an Achorn of Far Travel?

So far I have Sanctum Spell, Rangers vanishing as if they were under trees, Hallow.

I guess I'm looking for more things like Sanctum Spell and Hallow if such things exist.  The Hathran thing is another good one I know about.
Earth nodes are a big one.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #605 on: November 12, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
Q187: I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but search failed me.  What do you do with an Achorn of Far Travel?

I guess I'm looking for more things like Sanctum Spell and Hallow if such things exist.  The Hathran thing is another good one I know about.
Earth nodes are a big one.

Not familiar?  What be those?  Edit: Found them.  Bingo.

Q188: It says you count as being under that oak tree.  Assuming that oak tree is on natural soil, does that mean you get your Earth Spell benefit?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:52:45 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #606 on: November 12, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »

The only other thing I have ever seen it used for was to benefit from climate extremes. This takes some trickery (normally some leniency from the DM) to get the tree to grow somewhere it shouldn't extreme cold or desert without changing the area's climate. This allows stuff from frostburn and sandstorm to be more useful in a game that isn't in just those extreme climates.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #607 on: November 12, 2010, 06:37:23 PM »
Edit: Time to condense my related questions in to one post.

So far I have Hathran, Earth Nodes (Node Spellcasting, Metanode being the key ones it seems), Sanctum Spell, Hallow and the very mundane use of making Rangers able to hide.

Q188: It says you count as being under that oak tree.  Assuming that oak tree is on natural soil, does that mean you get your Earth Spell benefit?
         A188: Right now I assume that this answer is yes, which adds Earth Spell to the above.

Q189: My dedicated spellcaster is always under a spell effect per the effect of Hallow (the hallow follows me around in a magic achorn).  What spell should it be?
Q190: How do I grow an Oak Tree in the underdark?  Or maybe find an earth node on the surface?  Perhaps a big one just extends to the surface?  The fluff seems to imply that they are all underground nowhere near oak trees.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:58:24 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #608 on: November 12, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
Build it inside an earth node.  They're huge.

And growing a tree in an impossible location isn't that difficult with enough continual flame spells.  Stick on some permanent walls to protect it.

...Which actually would be a cool location for a campaign.  The party goes through the underdark, and finds themselves in a large cavern, humming with mystical power, with an oak tree, continual flames sprouting on its branches, in the center. 

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #609 on: November 12, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Q 190 I know this has been asked before, and it was only a guess, but what would the LA be for a Monster of Legend if you let a PC have it?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #610 on: November 12, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Q 190 I know this has been asked before, and it was only a guess, but what would the LA be for a Monster of Legend if you let a PC have it?

A 190 Monster of Legend got assigned LA +7 in it's 3.5 update.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #611 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »

So it did. Seems it was skipped over in the CrystalKeep template. That seems a tad high for a LA though. Especially with only a +2 CR. It's almost as high as the vampire template.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #612 on: November 12, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »

So it did. Seems it was skipped over in the CrystalKeep template. That seems a tad high for a LA though. Especially with only a +2 CR. It's almost as high as the vampire template.
The template can give 5th level Cleric spellcasting, permanent spellturning(!), permanent Haste all at once. +7 LA seems about right if the player is making the best possible decisions and has a synergizing plan for the rest of its build (like going combat cleric).

Remember. +5 AC and +5 accuracy are in this thing.

The +2 CR thing was a retarded decision. It should have been +4 CR or more.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #613 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »
Don't forget that it gives you +3 to all base saves.  That mostly leaves hit points as what fall behind, until you get enough hit dice that the +10 con cancels out the loss.  Also, you could choose +4 to spell save DCs instead of continuous haste, depending on your focus. 

Zebu

« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
Q 191 Are there any spells or magic items that allow you to act while at negative HP?  I know there's the Diehard feat and the Bone Knight PrC, but I'm looking for a magical solution.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #615 on: November 12, 2010, 11:54:20 PM »
A 191:
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #616 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »
A 191:
Combined with Beastland Ferocity, also from Spell Compendium.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #617 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:24 AM »
Q 192:

A warforged under a dragon shaman's vigor aura:
a) Heals 1 hp a round. (Since fast healing is not of the healing subschool).
b) Heals 1/2 hp a round (Since supernatural abilites that restore hp damage do so at half normal rate)
c) does not heal at all (since fast healing is like natural healing and warfoged do not naturally heal)

Ed-Zero

« Reply #618 on: November 13, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »
Q 136: With the Enhance Wild Shape spell from Spell Compendium, is it even worth it to do a 3 level dip into Master of Many Forms or just stick to straight Druid? The spell doesn't seem to completely over-shadow the class as it gives all the extraordinary abilities but not the stats..
This is my mistake, I was thinking of Master Transmogrifist when I wrote this, sorry all. I even got my own hopes up to have a druid go into that class.

Edit: LOL, my mistake yet again.. I was apparently looking at it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:35:56 AM by Ed-Zero »

Hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #619 on: November 13, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »
Q 193
I've seen in a lot of optimized builds people taking Obtain Familiar as one of their feats.  What's the reasoning behind this?