Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138241 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #380 on: November 06, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
Can you splice a rope in half to double its length?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: November 06, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Yes, but it won't be very strong, and it is very hard and timeconsuming to do. probably not wort it in most situations.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: November 06, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »
Rules Wise? I dont see why not. Common Sense Wise? You'd be compromising the integrity of the weave of the rope and it would soon fall apart. Applying weight to it would hasten the degradation. I dont think it would work out for you very well if you tried to use such a rope.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #383 on: November 06, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Q118: Is there any reliable means of extraplanar communication? I'm interested in spells or items. Sending has a 5% fail rate. Basically I have a homunculus in a modified bag of holding and I want to be able to tell him what item to hand me but technically he's in another dimension.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: November 06, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
Bump

Q 114 When using the Gate spell, does it work the same as a Summon Monster or Nature's Ally when determining XP afterwards (ie no extra because it's what the caster's capable of)?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »
Q118: Is there any reliable means of extraplanar communication? I'm interested in spells or items. Sending has a 5% fail rate. Basically I have a homunculus in a modified bag of holding and I want to be able to tell him what item to hand me but technically he's in another dimension.

I was going to suggest the power mindlink, but that's specifically broken by planar differences. The Psion/Wilder 4 power, however, Correspond does exactly what you're looking for.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2010, 05:57:28 PM »

I was going to suggest the power mindlink, but that's specifically broken by planar differences. The Psion/Wilder 4 power, however, Correspond does exactly what you're looking for.

Sorry, but I'm sadly in a no-psionics campaign. My DM doesn't understand them so we're limited to magic.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Bump

Q 114 When using the Gate spell, does it work the same as a Summon Monster or Nature's Ally when determining XP afterwards (ie no extra because it's what the caster's capable of)?

I would say yes....
Since the calling is a spell effect then the encounter should only account for the caster that used Gate....

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »

Sorry, but I'm sadly in a no-psionics campaign. My DM doesn't understand them so we're limited to magic.

Unfortunate. Sending is the only spell I can think of that lets you pull something like this off. Possibly stick it in a wand and just keep popping standard actions, because the 5% chance of failure is quite low. It's the best idea I can give you at the moment.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »

There is a spell that does exactly what you want......
Rary's interplanar telepathetic Bond from Planar Handbook....
It works like the regular bond only it can work interplanar too.....

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »
Q119: Are there any threads out there about specializing in slingshots? Bows are relatively simple, but nothing beats "I just killed you with a Vorpal Rock".
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #391 on: November 07, 2010, 01:25:40 AM »
Q120: Whats the easiest way for a wizard to become immune the stuff Soulfire Armor protects from without Soulfire (Im strapped for cash and need an alternative). I'd prefer some way a wizard could do it without help from another character.
Favorite Songs
~\-----------------/~

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2010, 01:31:45 AM »
Q120: Whats the easiest way for a wizard to become immune the stuff Soulfire Armor protects from without Soulfire (Im strapped for cash and need an alternative). I'd prefer some way a wizard could do it without help from another character.
-Arcane Disciple feat for the Undeath Domain.  Grants Death Ward as a 4th level spell.
-Play an undead character.
-Acquire Turn Undead somehow(Sacred Exorcist), and get the Sacred Vitality feat(LM) to gain immunity to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain for 1 minute. (but not death effects)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:38:06 AM by bananaphone »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #393 on: November 07, 2010, 01:33:11 AM »
-Arcane Disciple feat for the Undeath Domain.  Grants Death Ward as a 4th level spell.
Too bad you can only do that once a day.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »
Q120: Whats the easiest way for a wizard to become immune the stuff Soulfire Armor protects from without Soulfire (Im strapped for cash and need an alternative).

A talisman of undying fortitude (Magic Item Compendium 188) costs 8,000 gp and lets you spend a swift action twice per day to gain undead immunities for three rounds. 

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2010, 02:26:09 AM »
Excellent option! Thanks Very Much!
Favorite Songs
~\-----------------/~

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #396 on: November 07, 2010, 02:35:06 AM »
Q119: Are there any threads out there about specializing in slingshots? Bows are relatively simple, but nothing beats "I just killed you with a Vorpal Rock".

I don't know if there are any threads, but you may want to check out the Stonestorm Striker adaptation of the Bloodstorm Blade in ToB. It gives free action loading of slings (instead of the usual move) plus all the BB thrown weapon goodies applied to slings. Magical ammunition will be a bit more worthwhile, too, as the 4th level ability should immediately return it to you if it doesn't break (50% chance of breaking on a miss, 100% on a hit). The only additional caveat is that you have to be a halfling.

The War Sling and the Skiprock from RotW are also worth looking at. With EWP in both, you do 1d8/x4 damage and get a free attack at -2 to an opponent adjacent to any creature that you hit. It's a bit expensive feat-wise, though.

Edit: Found something (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-132330.html)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:38:37 AM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #397 on: November 07, 2010, 03:56:08 AM »
Q120: Is there anything stopping me from using a Sculpted Lightning Leap to hit somebody with the effect of lightning leap more than once?

Basically the spell turns you into a bolt of lightning that shoots forward up to 60 feet in a line effect, and you end up at the endpoint of the bolt.

Sculpt lets you turn any spell into 4 10 foot cube effects. So can you go 10 feet forward, 10 feet back, 10 feet forward and then 10 feet back, hitting your enemy four times with the spells effect?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:01:21 AM by Ramaloke »
Favorite Songs
~\-----------------/~

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #398 on: November 07, 2010, 04:31:05 AM »
I don't think you can stack the cubes on top of each other when using sculpt spell (or, if you could, the damage wouldn't stack).

That said, sculpting lightning leap is an excellent way to either deal surgical AoE damage while teleporting, or double your teleport range.  It's still blasting, but at least it's blasting with a decent secondary effect.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #399 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:17 AM »
Q121
Would Extend Spell function normally on a spell with the Elemalefic spell template (described below)?  For example, if used on a 9th-level spell, would this damage happen for 18 rounds?
Quote from: Dragon Magazine #311
Elemalefic
You have learned how to capture minor elemental spirits and trap them in your spells. A spell amplified by the elemalefic template seems to form frowning skulls, grasping claws, or screaming faces of the appropriate energy type within its area.
       This template can be added to any spell that deals energy damage (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic). After the spell's normal duration expires, or after its damage is dealt, elemental spirits plague all creatures damaged by the spell for a number of additional rounds equal to the spell's level. This residual energy deals 1d4 points of damage per round of the same energy type as the spell itself dealt. For instance, a creature damaged by an elemalefic ice storm takes 1d4 points of residual cold damage per round for 4 rounds after the spell's duration expires. The spell is still considered to be in effect for the purpose of dispel magic.
       A spell with this template gains the appropriate energy descriptor (the acid descriptor for an elemalefic acid spell for example).
       Cost: Material component (worth at least 50 gp) that is specific to the energy type, as follows: a few drops of black dragon drool (acid), diamond dust (cold), a star made of woven copper wire (electricity), ruby dust (fire), or a gold tuning fork (sonic).
       Prerequisite: Elemalefic Spellcaster.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.