Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138068 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
Q71 Say I wanted to play something with racial hit dice, but didn't want those RHD, because RHD are worse than fighter levels. Could I get rid of all but one by failing Fort saves vs. negative levels, then take class levels and be on my merry, RHD-less way?
yes, though there is also a ritual to swap RHD for class levels in the Savage Species book, iirc.
Page 13 of Savage Species says that creatures with 1HD may trade it for their first class level. Browsing shortly through the same chapter in the book shows no such option for creatures with more Hit Dice. I'd like to know the page number if you have it.

As for Q71, I know of nothing in any book to give a definite yes or no, but I would assume that you could do such a thing, but would be behind the rest of the party by that much XP.

Pages 147-151 of Savage Species describe Rituals, and the Ritual of Unlearning seems as if it could get rid of RHD.
Another alternative would be embarking on a rebuilding quest (PHB2)to exchange RHD for Class levels. Possibly doing multiple quests if need be, depending on your level and how many RHD you want to lose.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »
Q75 When is the soonest levelwise that an artificer can scribe a scroll of a 9th level spell (like shapechange)?

Q76 When using the polymorph spell to become a shaedling (MM5), do you gain the shadow gossamer ability?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
A76: Only extraordinary special attacks are gained from the Shaedling form. Shadow gossamer does not seem to be that kind of ability so it is not gained.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
Q 77: Were any of the [Saridor] powers updated?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #264 on: November 03, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
Q 78
if I apply a MM feat such as Lingering Spell or Entangling Spell (both from Champions of Ruin) to a spell with an "instantaneous" duration, is that spell now considered to be of longer duration for the purpose of Extend Spell?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:13:16 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Q73 How do auto-resetting traps of stuff like create food work?
You touch it, or get into the alarmed area, and it creates food.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »
Q79
What 10 spells of 5th level or lower would you keep tattooed on yourself in situations in which you lose your spellbook and are in a dire situation (captured/lost/etc)?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
A79

Are we talking specifically Wizard spells?  Because I can think of a bunch of different classes' spell that I would want.

Teleport
Xorn Movement
Invisibility
Overland Flight
Persistent Image (or a lower level one)
Dominate Person
Celerity
Solid Fog
Summon Monster V
Heart of Water
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »
Yeah Wizard Spells.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Drull

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
Q80 Whats the point of the RotW Elf Paladin Unicorn mount substitution level when DMG allows you to get a proper unicorn at lv6 thats strictly superior to this one?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:42 PM »
Q80 Whats the point of the RotW Elf Paladin Unicorn mount substitution level when DMG allows you to get a proper unicorn at lv6 thats strictly superior to this one?
To make Elves look better than they really are.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2010, 10:32:09 PM »
Q81: what effect, if any would a bloodline have on someone that took 3 levels of hellfire warlock? i really dont get bloodlines at all, and it seems that there are many different explanations on what they actually do in the CO community.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #272 on: November 03, 2010, 11:20:12 PM »
Q81: what effect, if any would a bloodline have on someone that took 3 levels of hellfire warlock? i really dont get bloodlines at all, and it seems that there are many different explanations on what they actually do in the CO community.
Any class features that use the Hellfire Warlock level in the caculation (such as the Hellfire Blast damage) would also count all the Bloodline levels.  So, a Minor Bloodline would add a total of 8d6 damage to the Hellfire Blast, since you count as a 4th level Hellfire Warlock for the ability.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #273 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:33 PM »
Q.82

Special Ability (Ex): A worldmeet glade grants a qualified spellcaster the ability to summon an enhanced version of any creature he could normally call with a given summon monster spell. The creature gains +2 hit points per Hit Die and a +2 bonus on all saving throws, checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls.

So, does damage rolls include things like Amnizu Stupefying Touch? Where does it says this benefit is 1/day (saw it in some handbook, maybe Malconvoker...)?

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: November 03, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »
Q.82

Special Ability (Ex): A worldmeet glade grants a qualified spellcaster the ability to summon an enhanced version of any creature he could normally call with a given summon monster spell. The creature gains +2 hit points per Hit Die and a +2 bonus on all saving throws, checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls.

So, does damage rolls include things like Amnizu Stupefying Touch? Where does it says this benefit is 1/day (saw it in some handbook, maybe Malconvoker...)?

A82 Unless specifically mentioned, damage refers to hitpoint damage. Ability damage is called out every time.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #275 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:43 PM »
Q79 What 10 spells of 5th level or lower would you keep tattooed on yourself in situations in which you lose your spellbook and are in a dire situation (captured/lost/etc)?

• A tattoo artist can tattoo spells onto your body based on a carefully prepared diagram.  There is no reason you have to prepare this diagram.
  • You can prepare a spell written by another wizard with a successful spellcraft check.  You can master another wizard's notation system with a spellcraft check (DC 25 + spell level) and never need to make spellcraft checks to prepare those spells again.
  • Geometers can write a spell of any level on a single page.  Non-geometers can prepare these spells, but the spellcraft DC is 5 higher.
  • You can pay a geometer to prepare a diagram for a tattoo artist to use to tattoo a spell onto you, and it will only take up space equivalent to a page.  Alternately, you could find a geometer who is a tattoo artist.
  • You can master the geometer's notation system using whatever skill-boosting items and spells you like, if you need them, and gain the ability to freely prepare the tattooed spells.

So, why not 50 spells? 

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #276 on: November 04, 2010, 12:57:28 AM »
Q83: Core-only cleric. Level 1. Human (not set in stone). Weak stats. What are some decent feats for level 1? Only other party member I know of so far is a ranger. Might be able to swing something non-core by the DM if it seems balanced.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: November 04, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »
Q83: Core-only cleric. Level 1. Human (not set in stone). Weak stats. What are some decent feats for level 1? Only other party member I know of so far is a ranger. Might be able to swing something non-core by the DM if it seems balanced.
What domains do you have?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #278 on: November 04, 2010, 01:47:55 AM »
That's not set in stone yet either, but at the moment I'm thinking Plant and Sun (worshipper of Ehlonna -- again, subject to change).

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: November 04, 2010, 02:08:38 AM »
That's not set in stone yet either, but at the moment I'm thinking Plant and Sun (worshipper of Ehlonna -- again, subject to change).
Since you don't have the War Domain, having a weapon focus isn't terrible, but it's not always necessary. My suggestion was this simply because you said the stats aren't that great. Believe me, I ran into the same problem with my level 1 cleric, and crappy physical stats. A problem we'll have is suggestion feats without knowing what stats you have as those determine the requirements being met or not.
For feats, I'd suggest...
- Improved Turning, if you know this is going to be an undead heavy campaign. More so than that, I'd ask the DM to allow the variant turning for destroying, from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.
- Extra Turning because the above applies. Seriously, unless you have an insane Cha, you can't take on that many undead if it's an undead heavy campaign.
- Point Blank Shot if you've got a decent Dex (want to be able to shoot that bow, whether two-handed or a crossbow).
- Precise Shot, if you take PBS and are human.
- Weapon Focus. Seriously, consider it. If you've got the STR behind it, it's worth it for now. You can always retrain it later if it becomes absolutely worthless to you in the end.
- Negotiator if it's a more role play emphasized type of RP. Clerics make good diplomacers.
- Lightning Reflexes because if your Dex sucks, your Reflex is going to suck too.
- Alertness isn't great, but Spot and Listen aren't class skills for a cleric, even if they have a decent Wis to help boost those checks.
- Combat Reflexes if your physical stats are decent, especially Dex.
- Blind-Fight. You never know when that invisible rogue will sneak up behind you and stab you in the kidneys. Or pixies. God I hate that little bastards.

Overall, at level 1, cleric feats aren't that easy to come by when all you're expected to use are core. Don't get me wrong, these are fine feats to be taking, but unless you know what you're in for, a majority of them aren't going to be that much help to you.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.