Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138067 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #840 on: November 17, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »
...should be ignored. 
Q 257: The Sugliin weapon from Frostburn states "this weapon is so unwieldy and heavy that making a single attack with it is a full-round action."

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.

Can someone without the Sugliin Mastery feat charge with a Sugliin, or does the extended attack time prevent this?
Bumpity
I would say the latter.
... common sense

I agree with you, I'm just trying to find an actual rules mechanic way of proving it (your example about over-runs works nicely).  My DM had us in a gladiatorial tournament last night, with exotic weapons hidden in the ring.  He was allowing people (both PC's and NPC's) to charge and attack with the Sugliin.  I didn't argue, but I wanted rules to back me up when it comes up in my game (we alternate campaigns each week).
It actually seems to me that, if we work from specific-overrules-general, you can not only Charge with a sugliin, but you can actually full-attack with one as well, since the sugliin only changes the action needed to make a single attack.

Still a pretty crappy weapon, though...

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #841 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »

It actually seems to me that, if we work from specific-overrules-general, you can not only Charge with a sugliin, but you can actually full-attack with one as well, since the sugliin only changes the action needed to make a single attack.

Still a pretty crappy weapon, though...
That's debatable within the text, and also quite obviously against what the writers were intending.

"The Sugliin Mastery feat (see page 50) allows a character to make attacks with this massive weapon normally."

That's from the weapon description.  It doesn't say that the feat allows you to make an attack (singular) normally (ie - as a standard action), it says attacks.  Thus, it indicates you cannot make multiple attacks with it (within one round, presumably) without said feat.  The text of the Sugliin Mastery feat expounds on this, explaining that attacking "normally" means single attack as a standard, or full attack as a full-round action.

I agree that the sugliin itself is generally an awkward and poor weapon, but it will be an interesting encounter for my PC's, as they face a half-stone giant (a mountain-raging goliath) who wields a nithing pole as a weapon (a pole with an elk head on it, ie - the sugliin), thus inciting vikings to attack him due to the insult.  A raging goliath with 26 strength dealing 3d8+12 damage will be... interesting.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #842 on: November 17, 2010, 06:34:22 PM »
Q263: Is it possible to elect not to apply the Shadowcraft Mage's silent illusion ability, or are you forced to apply it unless it directly conflicts with another class feature (as in the noted case with Bards)?
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #843 on: November 17, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
Q263: Is it possible to elect not to apply the Shadowcraft Mage's silent illusion ability, or are you forced to apply it unless it directly conflicts with another class feature (as in the noted case with Bards)?
I would say no, you are not forced to. 
It says that spells you cast "no longer require" a verbal component.  I take that as meaning you have a choice.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:43:28 PM by bananaphone »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #844 on: November 17, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
Q 264:  Can a rogue using the ACF where he gains fighter bonus feats instead of sneak attack dice regain his sneak attack progression by way of Daring Outlaw and another sneak attack source?

Rogue 3/swashbuckler 2/assassin 1/unseen seer 1/rogue +X grabbing Daring Outlaw at 9th level, for example.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:47:37 PM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

bananaphone

« Reply #845 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
Q 264:  Can a rogue using the ACF where he gains fighter bonus feats instead of sneak attack dice regain his sneak attack progression by way of Daring Outlaw and another sneak attack source?

Rogue 3/swashbuckler 2/assassin 1/unseen seer 1/rogue +X grabbing Daring Outlaw at 9th level, for example.
By RAW it appears you can.  Interesting.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #846 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »
Ignore people who are so ridiculously hung up over heavily-modded Mithral Chain Shirts.

• The mithral chain shirt has exactly one modification.  That makes it heavily modified?
  • I put the idea forward once with no real vehemence.  This makes me not only hung up, but ridiculously hung up?
  • You feel he should ignore me, not just my suggestion?  Should he only ignore things I say with regard to this question, or everything I say from this point on?  You were a bit vague.

Anyway, I'm not a sorcerer expert.  If you say learning mage armor is definitely worthwhile even when you only know two spells and it only last one hour, I won't argue. 

I would appreciate it if, in the future, you restricted your criticisms to my ideas instead of saying I am ridiculous and should be ignored. 
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but .....
[spoiler]
... to be fair, I don't think he intended to attack you, per sa.  What I feel like probably happened was he saw "mithral, feycraft *(a bunch of other words)*"; and at that point, his eyes glazed over.
And why do I make such assumptions?  Well, because I did the same thing (that, and I'm fairly familiar with x-codes' posting style); and I know that we're not the only 2.  I've lost count of how many times I've seen overly-complicated contrivances that necessitate a very specific set of in-game allowances -- not only is that not always practical; but in some games, it's not even an option.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying that what you presented was an overly-complicated contrivance.  I'm simply explaining the most likely thought process involved.  And when that thought process does get involved, it's a natural reaction to go "*sigh* not again; why does everybody always gotta .... ".  Hasty?  Yes.  Mean-spirited?  I doubt it.

Or maybe I'm just talking out my ass, and none of that is relevant.  :shrug
[/spoiler]
TL;DR ..... don't take it so seriously.  It's bad for you.  :D

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #847 on: November 17, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »

RAW you don't have a sneak attack progression as a rogue at that point. At best, you could conceivably gain sneak attack based off your swashbuckler levels alone (0 + X = X), but stacking rogue and swashbuckler levels for the purposes of sneak attack is useless when your rogue levels don't give you sneak attack to begin with.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #848 on: November 17, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »

RAW you don't have a sneak attack progression as a rogue at that point. At best, you could conceivably gain sneak attack based off your swashbuckler levels alone (0 + X = X), but stacking rogue and swashbuckler levels for the purposes of sneak attack is useless when your rogue levels don't give you sneak attack to begin with.
So, would you gain the bonus feats instead?  :plot

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

bananaphone

« Reply #849 on: November 17, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »

By RAW it appears you can.  Interesting.

So, would you gain the bonus feats instead?  :plot
Or... what if you were had the 7th level rogue/4th level swashbuckler levels as listed in the example?  Would you gain +6d6 sneak attack damage as an 11th level rogue as per RAW?   :p
(assuming you had the Assassin1/Unseen Seer 1 levels for the prereq,  or had +2d6 sneak attack through Assassin's Stance)
Relevant text:
[spoiler]Your rogue and swashbuckler levels also stack for the purpose of determining your sneak attack bonus damage.
For example, a 7th-level rogue/4th-level swashbuckler would deal an extra 6d6 points of damage with her sneak attack, as if she were an 11th-level rogue.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:44:52 PM by bananaphone »

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #850 on: November 17, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
Q265:  If a Duskblade takes Precocious Apprentice, does the 2nd level spell they choose have to be from the Duskblade spell list?  The feat states:
Quote from: Comp Arc, pg 181
Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to.
Duskblades have access to most schools of magic.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #851 on: November 17, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
Q265:  If a Duskblade takes Precocious Apprentice, does the 2nd level spell they choose have to be from the Duskblade spell list?  The feat states:
Quote from: Comp Arc, pg 181
Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to.
Duskblades have access to most schools of magic.
As a general rule, you can't cast spells not on your spell list.  Precocious Apprentice doesn't overrule that.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #852 on: November 17, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
Q256: How does the Blood Magus' ability to create potions in his blood and an Alchemical Savant's Brew Spellvial abilities interact?

Bump. Please answer, I need to know for a build.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #853 on: November 17, 2010, 08:37:27 PM »
Q256: How does the Blood Magus' ability to create potions in his blood and an Alchemical Savant's Brew Spellvial abilities interact?

Hmm... Impractical.  I think you could, in theory, "brew" a Spellvial in your own blood, but you would need to bottle and throw it in the same round.  Since that's considered to be part of the same action for using a potion, then you could probably do this as part of the same action for using a spellvial.

So by RAW, it looks a little iffy, but I think it would actually work.  Definitely something to clear with your DM first.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #854 on: November 17, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »

Hmm... Impractical.  I think you could, in theory, "brew" a Spellvial in your own blood, but you would need to bottle and throw it in the same round.  Since that's considered to be part of the same action for using a potion, then you could probably do this as part of the same action for using a spellvial.

So by RAW, it looks a little iffy, but I think it would actually work.  Definitely something to clear with your DM first.

Well, I'm partially thinking of combining this with the "bind an alchemical item to a spellvial" ability the Alchemical Savant gets. More specifically, Trollbane as part of your blood; take that, Trolls! I'm gonna kill you with my blood.

Thanks.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #855 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
Q 266: If I alter self into myself after casting both draconic polymorph and giant size, do I return to normal size as well?  If so, by RAW of alter self, I'd keep the massive Str boosts from both spells, which is the aim here.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #856 on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
Q 266: If I alter self into myself after casting both draconic polymorph and giant size, do I return to normal size as well?  If so, by RAW of alter self, I'd keep the massive Str boosts from both spells, which is the aim here.
If you can alter self back into yourself after casting Giant Size, then I'd say yes.  You might be too big to alter self back into yourself, depending on how you interpret alter self's wording on size changes.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #857 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »
Q 267 Anyone know where I can find a Savage Species progression for a nymph?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: November 17, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »
Q 266: If I alter self into myself after casting both draconic polymorph and giant size, do I return to normal size as well?  If so, by RAW of alter self, I'd keep the massive Str boosts from both spells, which is the aim here.

You can't. You're not within one size category of your normal size.

Ignore this, I had a brain fart.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #859 on: November 17, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
Q 267 Anyone know where I can find a Savage Species progression for a nymph?
A267
Littha did one a while back -- check my sig for the link.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt