Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138072 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
Q16:  If a psicrystal takes the Wild or Hidden Talent feat, it can hold a focus.  Can you use your psicrystal's focus for metapsionics without Psicrystal Containment?
No.  Psycrystal Containment is a specific exception to using another creatures focus.
Q16b:If the psicrystal takes the Wild/Hidden Talent feat anyway, can the owner use the psionic focus even if the psicrystal focused itself, rather than having the owner spend a full-round action focusing it? I assume the focus it gains via Psicrystal Containment is functionally the same, preventing it from being double-focused or something.
Only if you house rule you can use a cohort or other person's psionic focus.
Isn't that what Psicrystal Containment does?  ???
Psicrystal containment allows you to store your own psionic focus in a psicrystal as a spare, it doesn't allow you to use it's psionic focus.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
Q16:  If a psicrystal takes the Wild or Hidden Talent feat, it can hold a focus.  Can you use your psicrystal's focus for metapsionics without Psicrystal Containment?
No.  Psycrystal Containment is a specific exception to using another creatures focus.
Q16b:If the psicrystal takes the Wild/Hidden Talent feat anyway, can the owner use the psionic focus even if the psicrystal focused itself, rather than having the owner spend a full-round action focusing it? I assume the focus it gains via Psicrystal Containment is functionally the same, preventing it from being double-focused or something.
Psicrystal containment allows you to store your own psionic focus in a psicrystal as a spare, it doesn't allow you to use it's psionic focus.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:53:13 PM by Emo_Duck »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »
Yup, spend and action and make the check yourself.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »
Yup, spend and action and make the check yourself.
Yes, you can focus your psicrystal yourself. But what's to stop you from using the focus that the psicrystal gained on its own?

Addendum: Maybe I should just make a thread about this.  :blush
Further addendum: And I guess this is where the last clause of the feat comes in. What a blunder I've gone and made (though it's interesting that the psicrystal could focus itself before the owner took Psicrystal Containment). :V
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:00:47 PM by Emo_Duck »

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »
Q18:  2 part question all revolving around the same topic. 

18a.What is the purpose of taking "Spontaneous Domain Casting: Time" as part of the Cleric dip in the Hood builds?  Is being able to cast Truestrike spontaneously really that important? 

18b.Is there any way to gain access to the Wrath domain instead for Rhino's Rush without changing gods and losing access to the Travel domain for the Travel Devotion feat?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »
A18
a:
gets you Improved Initiative ... always important.  also, almost all of the spells on that list seem like they'd be nice to have spontaneous access to.  (never mind that getting a +20 to your attacks pretty-much whenever you want is pretty awesome ... especially if you're using stuff like Power Attack, etc., that lower your to-hit)

b:
do you mean like taking the "follow an ideal" (as opposed to a specific deity) option for clerics?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:33:33 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »
A18
a:
gets you Improved Initiative ... always important.  also, almost all of the spells on that list seem like they'd be nice to have spontaneous access to.  (never mind that getting a +20 to your attacks pretty-much whenever you want is pretty awesome)

b:
do you mean like taking the "follow an ideal" (as opposed to a specific deity) option for clerics?

I'm not talking about taking Time as one of your domains.  I understand why that's good.  I'm talking specifically about the "Spontaneous Domain Casting" variant.  What I don't get is why it's more important to be able to spontaneously cast Truestrike than it is to cast a cure spell, especially since it's a standard action.  The build only takes 1 level of cleric, so the only spell that matters is the first one.

Is there a way to gain access to a third domain that your god doesn't normally grant?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2010, 04:36:58 PM »
A18
a:
gets you Improved Initiative ... always important.  also, almost all of the spells on that list seem like they'd be nice to have spontaneous access to.  (never mind that getting a +20 to your attacks pretty-much whenever you want is pretty awesome)

b:

I'm not talking about taking Time as one of your domains.  I understand why that's good.  I'm talking specifically about the "Spontaneous Domain Casting" variant.  What I don't get is why it's more important to be able to spontaneously cast Truestrike than it is to cast a cure spell, especially since it's a standard action.  The build only takes 1 level of cleric, so the only spell that matters is the first one.

Is there a way to gain access to a third domain that your god doesn't normally grant?
You can only cast a domain spell 1/day otherwise. Spontaneous Domain Casting allows you to do it for every spell you can cast.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2010, 04:41:15 PM »
A18
a:

b:

You can only cast a domain spell 1/day otherwise. Spontaneous Domain Casting allows you to do it for every spell you can cast.

Right, I understand that.  I'm just wondering why Truestrike is so important that you'd get rid of your ability to spontaneously heal yourself. 

Also, what about the accessing a third domain that's outside of your deity's list?  Is that possible?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
A18
a:

b:

Right, I understand that.  I'm just wondering why Truestrike is so important that you'd get rid of your ability to spontaneously heal yourself. 

Also, what about the accessing a third domain that's outside of your deity's list?  Is that possible?
Spontaneously healing yourself is more efficiently done via items. +20 to hit vs 1d8+1-5 hp? Yeah. Not even a question.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »
Q19: What LA +0 races are there that give a bonus to Cha (aside from lesser Aasimar)?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
Q19: What LA +0 races are there that give a bonus to Cha (aside from lesser Aasimar)?
See my lesser planetouched guide.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 06:02:44 PM »

Hellbred (fiendish Codex II 78), spellscale (Races of the Dragon 21), and star elf (Unapproachable East 10). 

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »

OK so there's a detail here, that might not have come up before (idk / iirc).

The psicrystal could use the Focus, that the Psion placed into it.
The psicrystal (normally) can't Focus itself.
The psicrystal (normally) hasn't any way to use the Focus itself, after the Psion puts the Focus into the Psicrystal.

but IF ...
The psicrystal has Wild Talent for the psionic subtype and [Host] feat for a power and an ML
or Hidden Talent and something else to get the ML,
it would be able to use the Psion's Focus, that the psion put into the psicrystal,
on whatever power the Psicrystal has itself , on it's own.

The psicrystal could get Psi Focus on it's own,
if it could get a Constitution score. That takes time.

Undead get to use Charisma to get psi-focus (iirc).
Undead + Psicrystal = I have no idea.
The dreamscarred guys may have used a houserule like this.

ImmortalSoul

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »
Q20
I'm looking for ways to improve my Spellcraft check to abuse Incantatrix and persist as many spells as possible. How do I get my Spellcraft check high enough? (For a level 10 Kobold Loredrake White Dragonspawn Sorcerer).

Very related Q21:
Is there a good way to get Guidance of the Avatar for a Sorcerer?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:20:29 PM by ImmortalSoul »

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »
(Bump again...)

Q 8 If one got the MIC item for Countersong that lets you use it as an immediate action (400 gp), is it now worthwhile to keep? Also, what useful language-dependent/sonic things (that allow saves) can it 'counter'? Suggestion and Geass are some... but it doesn't seem to work against Blasphemy or Power Word: X as the latter two don't give saves

(new question)

Q 22 Where does it say Psicrystals get feats? Does this mean familiars get feats too? Animal companions get them because of their HD changes, I think, but where does it mention that Psicrystals get feats?

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »

Hellbred (fiendish Codex II 78), spellscale (Races of the Dragon 21), and star elf (Unapproachable East 10). 

Hellbred (Spirit), specifically. Also, any LA+0 race of Middle age or older, and any LA+0 Race with Magic-Blooded (Dragon 306) template stacked onto it.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »
any LA+0 Race with Magic-Blooded (Dragon 306) template stacked onto it.

Technically false.  Anything with a racial -2 CHA (or a bigger penalty) will not have a net +2 CHA with Magic-Blooded.  :P

There are a couple of Elves with Cha bonuses.  Star Elves or something?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »
Q20  If Monk gots Deflect Arrows, can deflect Net's entangle effect, correct?  Where are some rules text to support that (Sage advice, FAQ, Rules comp., anything?)?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2010, 08:01:52 PM »
Q24: Assume the following houserule is in effect-

Skill Focus and the "+2 to two skills" feats give class skills now in addition to their normal benefits.

What would be a good feat for a Wizard/Warmage/UM to take, given this houserule?  Magical Aptitude might be nice for early ranks in UMD, but I think with my Int I'll have more than enough to max that after I get into UM levels.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:15:41 PM by X-Codes »