Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138078 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2010, 01:18:07 AM »
Q 34 Does regeneration and fast healing stack? I see a lot of abominations have them both.
You get both.
AFAIK Regeneration only heals nonlethal damage, while Fast Healing can heal both that and the lethal damage.  As such, if something has Regen 5 and Fast Healing 5, then they heal 5 lethal damage and 5 nonlethal each round.  If they have taken less than 5 lethal damage, then the remaining fast healing heals any nonlethal damage taken.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2010, 01:21:40 AM »
Regeneration also turns lethal damage into nonlethal, except for certain kinds (normally acid, fire or cold).

Which makes a creature with Fast Healing, Regeneration and DR a REAL beast to kill.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
Regeneration also turns lethal damage into nonlethal, except for certain kinds (normally acid, fire or cold).

Which makes a creature with Fast Healing, Regeneration and DR a REAL beast to kill.
Not really... a hood just needs to set it on fire after it deals 2k nonlethal damage it.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2010, 01:32:16 AM »
So if you took 1 point of nonlethal and 6 points of lethal, and have Regen 5/Fast Healing 5, you're going to first heal the 1 point of nonlethal, then the 5 points of lethal, and then the final point of lethal gets turned into nonlethal? Am I reading that right? Now, what if you never take nonlethal? Most games I've been in, regardless of DM, rarely ever do nonlethal damage.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2010, 01:34:04 AM »
So if you took 1 point of nonlethal and 6 points of lethal, and have Regen 5/Fast Healing 5, you're going to first heal the 1 point of nonlethal, then the 5 points of lethal, and then the final point of lethal gets turned into nonlethal? Am I reading that right? Now, what if you never take nonlethal? Most games I've been in, regardless of DM, rarely ever do nonlethal damage.
No, they have absolutely nothing to do with reducing damage taken.

If you have taken (past tense) 1 point of nonlethal damage and 6 points of lethal damage and you have regen 5 and FH 5, then next round you'll have recovered all but 1 point of lethal damage (which stays lethal).

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2010, 01:37:10 AM »

If you have taken (past tense) 1 point of nonlethal damage and 6 points of lethal damage and you have regen 5 and FH 5, then next round you'll have recovered all but 1 point of lethal damage (which stays lethal).
I didn't mean for it to sound like DR. I know it doesn't reduce damage taken.

So then what was that part about Regen turns lethal into nonlethal that Kuroimaken was talking about?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2010, 01:37:14 AM »
Let's say you have Regen 5/ fire or acid, and Fast healing 5.

Someone hits you with an attack that deals 5 electricity damage and 1 nonlethal damage.  Regeneration converts this into 6 nonlethal damage

On your turn, you heal up to 5 nonlethal damage from your regeneration, and 5 damage from your fast healing.

Now, let's say they hit you with an attack that deals 11 points of fire damage and 16 points of electricity damage.

The electricity damage is converted to nonlethal, so the attack deals 11 lethal and 16 nonlethal.

Your regeneration heals up 5 nonlethal.  Your fast healing prioritizes nonlethal damage, so it heals up 5 nonlethal as well.

Next round, you have 11 lethal and 6 nonlethal.  You heal up 5 nonlethal from regeneration, and then 1 point of nonlethal and 4 pounds of lethal from fast healing.

Basically: if something overcomes your regeneration, it deals lethal damage.  Otherwise, the attack deals nonlethal damage.  Each turn, regeneration heals some number of nonlethal damage.
Fast healing heals nonlethal and lethal damage, but prioritizes nonlethal.

Clear?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:38:45 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2010, 01:41:09 AM »
Clear?
Not really, no. Mostly because of the Regen 5/acid or fire = turning 16 lethal damage into nonlethal. That, and FH prioritizing nonlethal over lethal first.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2010, 01:43:03 AM »

So then what was that part about Regen turns lethal into nonlethal that Kuroimaken was talking about?
Regeneration does not work like the ring of regeneration.  Look at the regeneration ability in the SRD.

That said, I didn't know that Fast Healing prioritized nonlethal damage.  Meh... fast healing itself so rarely comes into play, nevermind fast healing + regen.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2010, 01:44:45 AM »

Regeneration does not work like the ring of regeneration.  Look at the regeneration ability in the SRD.

That said, I didn't know that Fast Healing prioritized nonlethal damage.  Meh... fast healing itself so rarely comes into play, nevermind fast healing + regen.
Unless you're a saint, have Corellon's Millenial Chainmail from MIC, or get it from other instances. It really depends on the game. I'm exposed to it fairly regularly. Unless you're facing a deity, then they tend to have both.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2010, 01:46:16 AM »
Let's say I'm a troll.  Trolls have regeneration 5/ acid or fire.

That means that only acid or fire will deal lethal damage to me.  Any other kind of damage, be it slashing, piercing, sacred, dessication, city, et cetera, is instantly converted to nonlethal damage.  You could drop the moon on me and I'd be still alive.  Unconscious, but alive.

In addition to that really cool ability granted by my regeneration, I have a secondary one.  On each and every one of my turns, I heal 5 points of nonlethal damage.

Now, let's say instead I'm a hydra instead.  Hydras have fast healing 15.  That means on my turn, every round, I heal up 15 points of damage.  That's pretty cool.  
If I have both lethal and nonlethal damage, my fast healing is a lazy bastard and cures nonlethal damage first.  So if I have 13 points of nonlethal damage, and some amount of lethal damage, on my next turn fast healing will cure up all my nonlethal, and only 2 points of my lethal.

Oddly enough, if someone casts a healing spell like cure minor wounds on me when I have both lethal and nonlethal damage, it'll cure the full amount of both (so 1 lethal and 1 nonlethal for cure minor)
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2010, 02:15:59 AM »

Unless you're a saint, have Corellon's Millenial Chainmail from MIC, or get it from other instances. It really depends on the game. I'm exposed to it fairly regularly. Unless you're facing a deity, then they tend to have both.
This is what's called "missing the point."  In a game of rocket tag, healing 2 points of damage each round does jack squat.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2010, 02:19:10 AM »

This is what's called "missing the point."  In a game of rocket tag, healing 2 points of damage each round does jack squat.
True, but you only heal that many points if you're a 4 HD saint, and that's not possible. If, however, you're 20 HD, then FH 10 isn't terrible. Makes you almost on par with the epic level bastard who's got regen 15 each round.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:24 AM »
Oddly enough, if someone casts a healing spell like cure minor wounds on me when I have both lethal and nonlethal damage, it'll cure the full amount of both (so 1 lethal and 1 nonlethal for cure minor)
So a cure light wounds could heal 1d8+5 lethal and nonlethal in the same round? That's good. I've only known DMs to play it as one or the other.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2010, 02:27:48 AM »
So a cure light wounds could heal 1d8+5 lethal and nonlethal in the same round? That's good. I've only known DMs to play it as one or the other.

Yep
Healing Nonlethal Damage

You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level.

When a spell or a magical power cures hit point damage, it also removes an equal amount of nonlethal damage.
Planetouched Handbook

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:16 AM »
That was an interesting discussion...

Q 35Is it possible to get Regen/- and Immunity to Nonlethal damage?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2010, 03:01:03 AM »

Yes. 
Planetouched Handbook

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2010, 03:13:54 AM »
Q 36: How does Bloodstorm Blade's ability to initiate a maneuver on a thrown attack interact with the Master Throwers trick shots? Specifically the one that lets you trip with a thrown weapon in the context of initiating a Setting Sun throw maneuver.

Pre-Edit: Scratch that. This wouldn't work even if it works. Bloodstorm Blade only lets you initiate Iron Heart strikes, not just any ones. Oh well. Assuming that it allowed you to initiate strikes from other schools, how would it still work?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2010, 03:32:17 AM »

Yes. 
Typically requires Master Transmogrifist, although it's possible with template shenanigans and feats from questionable sources.  Yes, Master Transmog is a 5/10 class.  Yes, it's worth it.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2010, 04:24:05 AM »
Q 37 Swift Concentration Skill Trick. Is it limited to 1/encounter?