Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138248 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2010, 04:25:18 AM »
Q 37 Swift Concentration Skill Trick. Is it limited to 1/encounter?
Not necessarily. Depends on how long the encounter lasts. Essentially you're allowed to use it once every 10 rounds.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2010, 04:27:13 AM »
Q 37 Swift Concentration Skill Trick. Is it limited to 1/encounter?
Of course.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2010, 04:30:53 AM »
I'd leave it up to the DM in the end. They decide in the end. If your DM's nice, he'll read it and allow the 1/encounter or minute ruling. This of course doesn't include whether or not the skill trick itself can be used more often.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2010, 04:35:14 AM »
I'd leave it up to the DM in the end. They decide in the end. If your DM's nice, he'll read it and allow the 1/encounter or minute ruling. This of course doesn't include whether or not the skill trick itself can be used more often.

Unless otherwise noted, a skill trick can be performed only once per encounter
If you're in an encounter, then RAW it's once during that encounter.  Period.  It's pretty damn clear on that point.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2010, 04:37:17 AM »

Unless otherwise noted, a skill trick can be performed only once per encounter
If you're in an encounter, then RAW it's once during that encounter.  Period.  It's pretty damn clear on that point.
Or, you could have a nice DM who looks into the "or" part. Like mine did. BTW, this is also pretty damn clean on the point. Unless otherwise noted. Be sure to watch out for that part too.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2010, 04:48:19 AM »
Or, you could have a nice DM who looks into the "or" part. Like mine did. BTW, this is also pretty damn clean on the point. Unless otherwise noted. Be sure to watch out for that part too.
The fact that you whine to your DM for houserules doesn't change the RAW, and just FYI, it's not otherwise noted that Swift Concentration is usable any more often than once per encounter.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2010, 05:00:13 AM »
The fact that you whine to your DM for houserules doesn't change the RAW, and just FYI, it's not otherwise noted that Swift Concentration is usable any more often than once per encounter.
Yes, I whine to my DM for houserules. That must be it. It's like he makes them up as he goes along. Are you trying to start a spamming flame war? Because you will lose.

Regardless, this particular skill trick does not have multiple uses.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:21 AM »
Yes, I whine to my DM for houserules. That must be it. It's like he makes them up as he goes along.
I know, right?  Truth is, the entire d20 system is DM fiat.  The only reason WotC prints books is to shamelessly milk money from the people too inane to realize that there are no rules, and that D&D is basically one big, nerdy circle jerk, and the DM is a totally un-hot stripper.  Luckily, they're roleplaying, so they don't give a damn, anyway.  Take it off, Gordo, take it all off.

That said, not all DMs are willing to put in the effort it takes to do a proper show.  Therefore, they make their players read badly written, speciously edited, and woefully overpriced fantasy novels with the hope that audience participation makes his job easier.  As previously mentioned, however, these fantasy novels suck, so sometimes the players need our help interpreting what they say.  That's what we do.  We don't tell them to make Gordo take his panties off, we tell them what the books say.

Are you trying to start a spamming flame war? Because you will lose.
Nah, I'm done.  This comment has successfully entertained me.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2010, 06:39:26 AM »
Q38. How exactly does a Swarm range of attack works? Can it affect multiple Targets? In my case it's a Deathraven Swarm, Crows, so i can't imagine them being THAT small...
A Swarm has no attack range or reach. It must move into an enemy's space, and then deals its listed damage automatically every round. If the swarm covers more than one square, thenit can affect multiple targets by covering their spaces, similarly to an area effect.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2010, 07:06:27 AM »
The only reason WotC prints books is to shamelessly milk money from the people
I won't deny this whatsoever. I mean, just look at D&D Essentials. It's 4.5, and all it is, is AD&D and 3.5 mixed with some of the 4th rules. I mean, a mage getting a spellbook instead of having encounter powers? That's just so crazy it might actually work.

That being said, anyone read the Essentials line yet?  You've got your "I hit good" fighter, thief, a mage with spellbooks, and one other. Oh, and the core races again. No ranger or any of the other core classes yet, and it's unknown as to whether or not the other classes will get revised, not to mention the new races, but one thing is definitely certain. It's not compatible with 4th anymore. At least not that anyone's seen yet.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2010, 07:17:42 AM »
That being said, anyone read the Essentials line yet?
I haven't. I'm waiting for 5th edition and will only pick up the books if 5th edition is popular.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »
Q38: Is there a PrC that advances rogue and monk levels or is more beneficial to a Monk 7 rogue 3 than an other level in rogue?

Please don't discuss how this combo sucks, as this is the PC of a fellow player. He has played this PC for some years and is loath to ditch it. I already pointed him to the Unarmed Swordsage to advance in instead of Monk. But he's dead set on going rogue 4 to keep his skills and sneak attack up.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2010, 07:40:46 AM »
Q38: Is there a PrC that advances rogue and monk levels or is more beneficial to a Monk 7 rogue 3 than an other level in rogue?

Please don't discuss how this combo sucks, as this is the PC of a fellow player. He has played this PC for some years and is loath to ditch it. I already pointed him to the Unarmed Swordsage to advance in instead of Monk. But he's dead set on going rogue 4 to keep his skills and sneak attack up.
Not that I'm aware of, but I'd really try to convince him to take Ascetic Rogue from CAdv if he hasn't already. At least that way his Unarmed Damage would continue progression.

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2010, 07:50:59 AM »

Not that I'm aware of, but I'd really try to convince him to take Ascetic Rogue from CAdv if he hasn't already. At least that way his Unarmed Damage would continue progression.
Not that I know. Good point. That'll have to wait till lvl 12, or a retrain opportunity. Thanx.

Treemma

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2010, 11:22:46 AM »
Q39

Is there any way to get intelligence to attack bonus, instead of STR, DEX, WIS and/or CHA?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:29:36 AM by Treemma »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
Q40 With High Arcana Arcane Reach, I can make touch spells into rays. Can I enhance these spells with things like split ray?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »
Q40 With High Arcana Arcane Reach, I can make touch spells into rays. Can I enhance these spells with things like split ray?

It doesn't actually change the spell into a ray; it changes a touch spell into a ranged touch spell. Most ranged touch spells are rays, but not all; see Orb of X line. It requires the Effect: Ray line to be considered a ray (such as enervation and the rays described in Spell Compendium).
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

It doesn't actually change the spell into a ray; it changes a touch spell into a ranged touch spell. Most ranged touch spells are rays, but not all; see Orb of X line. It requires the Effect: Ray line to be considered a ray (such as enervation and the rays described in Spell Compendium).

Spellwarp Sniper would do the trick, though.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
Q41: Except for the select few in the Netheril: Empire of Magic from 1996, are there any published spells in 3.0 or 3.5 (yeah, I know Netheril: Empire of Magic isn't either one) that are beyond level 9 for epic levels?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]