Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138071 times)

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #340 on: November 05, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »
Oh, but why not just take lots of ability burn and then polymorph (psions get something like that maybe?) into something with far better stats? I always thought that shape changing also gave you some sort of healing as if you'd rested overnight, which might take care of some of the ability burn?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #341 on: November 05, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
Still magical healing.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #342 on: November 05, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
How about the other way  around?  When you polymorph, you get the physical stats of the new form.  Would burning THOSE stats and then returning to your normal form work?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #343 on: November 05, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
I don't think there would be an issue in reducing the ability damage (for example, using Strongheart Vest to reduce the damage to 1 point to three scores when you regain 4pp is definitely legal.).  Just reducing it to 0 is questionable.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #344 on: November 05, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
Oh, but why not just take lots of ability burn and then polymorph (psions get something like that maybe?) into something with far better stats? I always thought that shape changing also gave you some sort of healing as if you'd rested overnight, which might take care of some of the ability burn?

That's generally Wild Shape. There is a SpC spell, and a CWar feat for improving natural healing. Though how useful...

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
105: Ok, so I'm playing a totally broken item crafter (wizard) with near limitless wealth (my DM likes broken things). But, like all item crafters, I'm screwed if I'm in an antimagic field. Is there any kind of creative way to set up a defense for such a situation? I don't really know where to start, but I was thinking along the lines of having magic keeping some powerful entity at bay, and when the magic is nullified in the field, the said entity is released to devour my enemies. Of course, there is the problem of why the entity would kill my enemies and not me, but maybe if it were a construct? Anyways, all help is appreciated!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #346 on: November 05, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
105: Ok, so I'm playing a totally broken item crafter (wizard) with near limitless wealth (my DM likes broken things). But, like all item crafters, I'm screwed if I'm in an antimagic field. Is there any kind of creative way to set up a defense for such a situation? I don't really know where to start, but I was thinking along the lines of having magic keeping some powerful entity at bay, and when the magic is nullified in the field, the said entity is released to devour my enemies. Of course, there is the problem of why the entity would kill my enemies and not me, but maybe if it were a construct? Anyways, all help is appreciated!
Step 1: Make a large adamatine cone that you can stand inside
Step 2: Cast Shrink Item on it, turning into a clothlike substance
Step 3: Enjoy your new pointy wizard hat.

If you enter an AMF, your hat will enlarge, turn into adamantine, and protect you from the line of effect.
Planetouched Handbook

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #347 on: November 05, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »
Q 106 Is there a spell or other ability that lets you convert damage taken to increases to Attributes (Str, Con, Int, etc.), and if so, what is it called/what book is it in?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:51 PM »
Q 106 Is there a spell or other ability that lets you convert damage taken to increases to Attributes (Str, Con, Int, etc.), and if so, what is it called/what book is it in?

A106: The shambling mound has this Immunity to Electricity (Ex): Shamblers take no damage from electricity. Instead, any electricity attack used against a shambler temporarily grants it 1d4 points of Constitution. The shambler loses these points at the rate of 1 per hour.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
Step 1: Make a large adamatine cone that you can stand inside
Step 2: Cast Shrink Item on it, turning into a clothlike substance
Step 3: Enjoy your new pointy wizard hat.

If you enter an AMF, your hat will enlarge, turn into adamantine, and protect you from the line of effect.

Mad Linguist, you are a genius. I take off my cone shaped hat to you.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Tethlis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Q 107 Can scrolls be scribed with metamagic on them? For instance, can a wizard create a twinned fireball scroll at spell level 7? I ask because i am thinking of playing a red wizard and have it in my head if its possible to scribe metamagiced spells into your spellbook, they can be cast by heightening a spell to what ever spell level is needed and using Rary's Arcane Conversion to swap the heightened spell out for the metamagiced spell.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
Q103:  When UMD'ing a runestaff, what CL is the spell cast at?  The CL of the runestaff?  Your own arcane CL?  Your divine CL (if you have one)?
Are you talking like a rogue UMDing it or what?
A rogue, sure.  Or a cleric UMD'ing a runestaff with only Bard spells, or a Bard UMD'ing a runestaff with only wizard spells.  Since you can't UMD a CL (per the FAQ), which CL do you actually use?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #352 on: November 05, 2010, 08:22:44 PM »
Q103:  When UMD'ing a runestaff, what CL is the spell cast at?  The CL of the runestaff?  Your own arcane CL?  Your divine CL (if you have one)?
A rogue, sure.  Or a cleric UMD'ing a runestaff with only Bard spells, or a Bard UMD'ing a runestaff with only wizard spells.  Since you can't UMD a CL (per the FAQ), which CL do you actually use?
I'd say the CL of the staff just for a consistent, difficult-to-break ruling.
Planetouched Handbook

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #353 on: November 05, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards.  Now the tricky part.  In pricing / creating runestaffs, there is no price component for CL!  In looking through MIC, the CL range from 12 to 18.  So would you think 18 should be the cap?  Can someone craft a runestaff with an arbitrarily high CL?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #354 on: November 05, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards.  Now the tricky part.  In pricing / creating runestaffs, there is no price component for CL!  In looking through MIC, the CL range from 12 to 18.  So would you think 18 should be the cap?  Can someone craft a runestaff with an arbitrarily high CL?
I'd assume it's the minimum required to cast a spell of that level from your class.
Planetouched Handbook

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
Q 108 How do you exorcise a soul possessing someone. The person is performing this possession using a sort of permanent Magic Jar. It may not be simply dispellable.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »
Q 108 How do you exorcise a soul possessing someone. The person is performing this possession using a sort of permanent Magic Jar. It may not be simply dispellable.
Smash the focus, if there is one.  If not, use Lesser Planar Binding/Ally to summon a Lantern Archon and have him hover within 20' of the victim until the possessor gets bored.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #357 on: November 05, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
Hire a ghost.
Planetouched Handbook

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: November 05, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »
Q 98: what happens when a PC gains bonus HD trough mount or animal companion shehanigans?

A.99: They would give feats and skill levels, increase BAB and Saves, and possibly ability bonuses though, I'm not sure on that.

my concern was more if the player would be counted as having leveled up... or if bonus hd are some kind of strange virtual HD that don't count towards exp needed for next level. Though the ability bonus thing is a good catch, it's not spelled out..
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »
It's a Stranger with the Burning Eyes. Find and take his token!

Or hire a Sacred Exorcist.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"