Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138074 times)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Because the last one hit 50 pages.

Quote from: The Mad Linguist
1. Does it say anywhere that personal spells can't be used in a generic magical item?

I mean, yes, potions specifically can't accept personal spells, but potions suck.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
That was in response to kevin_video's question.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:04:01 PM »
I'll take the answer any which way I can get it.

Q 2 Is the Rapid Reload feat basically the same thing as the Quick Loading weapon ability for crossbows?

Q 3 How do you permanently make a drider large or huge size, when it only advances via class levels?

Q 4 Does anyone actually know if the rogue fighter variant where you trade out sneak attack for fighter feats actually gives you fighter feats as a fighter (1, 2, 4, 6, etc) or when you would gain sneak attack?

Q 5 If Oriental Adventures (Shiba Protector) and Unnaproachable East (Shou Disciple) are not allowed in the campaign (as well as any other FR books), what would be the best classes to trade them with?

Q 6 Is there any ToB disciplines that aid with ranged weapons (namely hand crossbows)?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »
A 4 The wording can be a bit confusing, but it does say you gain fighter feats "as a fighter" does, and a fighter gains them at 1, 2, and every even level. So unless someone interprets that differently, I'd say you're gaining them at the same levels a fighter does.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »
I do believe that that's irrelevant unless it states in the Rules Compendium somewhere "all spells, including Personal touch spells, can be used to make magic items."

There are items that have personal spells as spell prerequisites, for example, a monk's belt.  There are items that duplicate personal spells, for example, a wand of mirror image.  

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:16:56 PM »
A 4 So unless someone interprets that differently, I'd say you're gaining them at the same levels a fighter does.
My DM does, as does the rest of my group. Even I did. That's why I was hoping to actually find the official ruling on it. We interpreted it as gain fighter feats, and count as a fighter to gain fighter feats (ie can get Weapon Specialization).

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
A 4 So unless someone interprets that differently, I'd say you're gaining them at the same levels a fighter does.
My DM does, as does the rest of my group. Even I did. That's why I was hoping to actually find the official ruling on it. We interpreted it as gain fighter feats, and count as a fighter to gain fighter feats (ie can get Weapon Specialization).
There is no official ruling, that's just the way it was written. "As a X" generally means "exactly as a X, barring any excptions specifically called out".
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »
There is no official ruling, that's just the way it was written. "As a X" generally means "exactly as a X, barring any excptions specifically called out".
So in the case where the fighter rogue variant thug gain sneak attack as a rogue, and lose fighter feats, you get the +1d6 at 1st and every second level after that?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
The closest thing to a direct comment is this:

These variants simply swap one or more of that class's features for one or more class features of another class. A class feature gained works just as it did for its original class, including the level at which it is gained and any other effects, except as noted below.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
Q7: I can haz maid loli elves?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »
Q7: I can haz maid loli elves?
A 7

Ya u can
[spoiler][/spoiler]
That's the only worksafe one I found with little effort, though.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »
Q7B: Where is it from?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »
Q7B: Where is it from?
A 7b

Danbooru, natch. :p I don't think it's from a specific series, none are listed in its tags.
Not sure this should be here, though... :P

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
Q 8 If one got the MIC item for Countersong that lets you use it as an immediate action (400 gp), is it now worthwhile to keep? Also, what useful language-dependent/sonic things (that allow saves) can it 'counter'? Suggestion and Geass are some... but it doesn't seem to work against Blasphemy or Power Word: X as the latter two don't give saves?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
I'll take the answer any which way I can get it.
There are guidelines in the DMG for pricing magic items that emulate active spell effects.  That is the rule, there is no special exception called out for personal range spells.

Q 2 Is the Rapid Reload feat basically the same thing as the Quick Loading weapon ability for crossbows?
Yes.  By RAW, the effects probably wouldn't stack if you stuck them both on a heavy crossbow.

Q 6 Is there any ToB disciplines that aid with ranged weapons (namely hand crossbows)?
Probably not from official sources.  AFAIK there are very few martial maneuvers in Bo9S that work with ranged weapons, and most (if not all) of them are boosts.

Q 8 If one got the MIC item for Countersong that lets you use it as an immediate action (400 gp), is it now worthwhile to keep? Also, what useful language-dependent/sonic things (that allow saves) can it 'counter'? Suggestion and Geass are some... but it doesn't seem to work against Blasphemy or Power Word: X as the latter two don't give saves?
Suggestion is enough.  That spell is nasty.

MK

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »
Q9  Here we go again.
Is it possible to give bonuses that are typical for armor to normal clothes? For example to create Fearsome Robes, or a Spider Boon Dress? If so, where can I find some info to confirm this fact?  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:21:25 PM by MK »

lianightdemon

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
Q10

Is there anyway for an archer to overcome deflect arrows (and infinite deflection), and Wind walls, and heavy winds? So they are still able to use their archery during such combats.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:17:14 PM »
Q9 Is it possible to give bonuses that are typical for armor to normal clothes? For example to create Fearsome Robes, or a Spider Boon Dress? If so, where can I find some info to confirm this fact?  

As far as I know, no.  Some people house-rule bracers of armor to allow special abilities to be purchased.  Given the existence of bracers of striking (Magic of Faerun 155) and necklace of natural weapons (Savage Species 58), its surprising an armor equivalent doesn't exist. 

What do you need this for exactly?  If it's for an arcane caster, there are armors without arcane spells failure.  If it's for a druid, there are armors that change with you when you wild shape. 

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
Q10

Is there anyway for an archer to overcome deflect arrows (and infinite deflection), and Wind walls, and heavy winds? So they are still able to use their archery during such combats.
force arrows?

lianightdemon

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
they cut through wind walls and deflection as well? +2 enchancement in MIC = Awesome for archers