Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138601 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #540 on: November 10, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »
These are both decent.  A greater crystal requires +3 armor, right?

Or a +3 Shield
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #541 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »

Or a +3 Shield
If you want to cheap out, I think the Lesser crystal has the same +5 bonus, but no reroll effect.  It costs about half as much and can go on a +1 Armor/Shield.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #542 on: November 10, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »

Or a +3 Shield
If you want to cheap out, I think the Lesser crystal has the same +5 bonus, but no reroll effect.  It costs about half as much and can go on a +1 Armor/Shield.
It's a +3 bonus, but it's 4,000 gp instead of 10,000.  I already have a +1 suit of armor, so that might be a good investment in the mean time.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #543 on: November 10, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »
Q167 Looking for awesome abilities which happen on a critical hit. Any ideas?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #544 on: November 10, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
A167Exemplars of Evil:
TWIST THE KNIFE
You can make a vicious attack that leaves your victim gasping in pain.
Prerequisites: Sneak attack +2d6, Improved Critical (melee weapon).
Benefit:
EDIT: while not the best ability EVAR, it gives a crit-focused character - to whom the pre-reqs are less onerous - a good (if not great) debuff effect that lasts for a few rounds.  A scythe or kaorti-resin scimitar has a reasonable chance of de-buffing for an entire combat, for instance.  Without more specific info you the build in mind, specific advice is more difficult.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:03:02 PM by InnaBinder »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #545 on: November 10, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
A167Exemplars of Evil:
TWIST THE KNIFE
Benefit:

Seems bad.  -3 is not a huge penalty (although lowering saves is always good).  Requires a crappy prerequisite. 
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #546 on: November 10, 2010, 08:44:01 PM »
Q 166: Are there any items out there at level 8 WBL (ideally under 13,500 gp) that either grant immunity or a solid resistance to [Mind Affecting] abilities?
Greater crystal of mind cloaking: This augment crystal grants you a +5 competence bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and abilities.  In addition, if you fail a save against a mind-affecting spell or ability, you can choose to reroll the save as an immediate (mental) action. This ability functions once per day.  (10,000 gp, Magic Item Compendium.) 

Crystal mask of mindarmor: A crystal mask of mindarmor grants the wearer a +4 insight bonus on all Will saving throws.  (10,667 gp, Expanded Psionics Handbook.) 
These are both decent.

Mindarmor (Magic Item Compendium 13) is a +3,000 gp armor special ability that gives you a +5 untyped bonus to saves against mind-affecting effects as an immediate action 3 times per day. 

Commander (Magic Item Compendium 9) is a +2,000 gp armor special ability that gives allies of the wearer within 30 feet (but not the wearer) a +1 morale bonus on will saves.  You could put the ability on +1 armor or barding for a skeleton or pet. 

A banner of law (Heroes of Battle 133) costs 8,000 gp and provides all non-chaotic allies within 30 feet with a continuous protection from chaos effect.  It has to be held in two hands, but maybe you can get a skeleton or trained monkey to carry it.  Possession and mental control aren't the entirety of mind-affecting effects, but they're a fair chunk. 

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #547 on: November 10, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »
Q 168
does an Ocular Magic Missile do damage = ALL missiles, or just one?

(yeah, I know -- stupid question .... it was just a random thought)

Q168b
also, am I reading this right .... can Chain Spell also be used on magic missile?

Yes, I'm cooking-up something ridiculous for my MM OP thread.   :bounce
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:55:59 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #548 on: November 10, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
A167Exemplars of Evil:
TWIST THE KNIFE
Benefit:

Seems bad.  -3 is not a huge penalty (although lowering saves is always good).  Requires a crappy prerequisite. 
Improved Critical is a lousy feat, but when a feat does something interesting on a critical then Improved Critical is usually a pre-requisite.  It's kinda like PBS/Weapon Focus/etc. in that way.  Besides, being able to have a keen Falchion regardless of whether or not you have a scabbard can be useful.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #549 on: November 10, 2010, 11:07:12 PM »
Q169:  Am I misreading Armor of God (Complete Champion Fighter ACF) or does it really let you lower your base will save (2 at level 8) to get +2 AC for the low low price of a feat?  Worth it?!
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #550 on: November 10, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
Q169:  Am I misreading Armor of God (Complete Champion Fighter ACF) or does it really let you lower your base will save (2 at level 8) to get +2 AC for the low low price of a feat?  Worth it?!
Hardly.  If there were a feat that just gave +3 AC, and stacked with itself, it still wouldn't be very worthwhile.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #551 on: November 10, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Mindarmor (Magic Item Compendium 13) is a +3,000 gp armor special ability that gives you a +5 untyped bonus to saves against mind-affecting effects as an immediate action 3 times per day. 
I like this one.  3/day is probably plenty for what I need.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: November 11, 2010, 02:01:36 AM »
Q 170 After being shown the drider template http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20011118a I have to ask how you'd put this on a large creature, which should become a huge-sized creature?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #553 on: November 11, 2010, 02:11:09 AM »
Q170. Q171. Is there any creature with super-hearing qualities (not the skill, like an Extraordinary Quality, for example)?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:50:52 AM by Hitoshura »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #554 on: November 11, 2010, 02:20:16 AM »
Q 170 After being shown the drider template http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20011118a I have to ask how you'd put this on a large creature, which should become a huge-sized creature?
Are you still on this?  You're the DM, just make Driders huge.

There are no large "Humanoids."  They're all either Monstrous Humanoids or Giants.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #555 on: November 11, 2010, 02:23:43 AM »

There are no large "Humanoids."  They're all either Monstrous Humanoids or Giants.
Will you go away? I'm not "still on this". I'm not trying to make a drider huge. It's a template that I've been told can be added to outsiders as well, and some of those are large size already.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #556 on: November 11, 2010, 02:25:20 AM »

Will you go away? I'm not "still on this". I'm not trying to make a drider huge. It's a template that I've been told can be added to outsiders as well, and some of those are large size already.
Well, the template says humanoid only, but whatever.

Anything that scales 3-4-6 I'd bump to 8, and I'd bump the bite to a d6.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: November 11, 2010, 02:29:02 AM »

Well, the template says humanoid only, but whatever.

Anything that scales 3-4-6 I'd bump to 8, and I'd bump the bite to a d6.
It does, but that's also 2001. awaken DM golem was the one who told me that it works on outsiders and just to ignore it.

Thanks for the help.

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #558 on: November 11, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
Q159 bump

When you use a knowstone spell that is attuned to you do you need the material components or focus's ? The creation costs include them but it doesn't state anymore if you need additional ones per casting. I know it uses a spell slot? What about xp costs?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #559 on: November 11, 2010, 08:33:57 AM »

Perhaps, if said encounter has no need of will saves. Plus, you can always multiclass (say, 2 lvs of monk?) to further improve your base will save. Highly situational, though I would take it only if I have no better feats to take.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.