Author Topic: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus  (Read 144743 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus
« Reply #600 on: September 08, 2011, 02:46:41 AM »
Q174: What would it cost to make a 1/day item of a 4th level spell? (Open Least Chakra)

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #601 on: September 08, 2011, 03:01:10 AM »
Q174: What would it cost to make a 1/day item of a 4th level spell? (Open Least Chakra)
Depends on the CL it's at and the duration of the spell.
Assuming minimum CL, 4*7*1800*0.2*0.5.
That's 5040 gp.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Shinji

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #602 on: September 08, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
Can Slippers of Battledancing, which say that they work with any melee or ranged attack made with a light or one handed weapon, provide thier bonus to bows?

rot42

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #603 on: September 08, 2011, 04:24:01 PM »
That's 5040 gp.

Open Chakra lasts 24 hours right out of the box, so that gets halved that again. The 0.2 term accounts for being 1/day; double it if you have two chakras that need to be pried open. Caster level is irrelevant for that spell (unless you are worried about dispels). The suggestions for custom crafting items are near the back  of the DMG.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #604 on: September 08, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
Open Chakra lasts 24 hours right out of the box, so that gets halved that again.

Cost adjustments for the duration of the spell only apply to continuous items, which is mutually exclusive with both command word and charges per day. 

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #605 on: September 08, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
That's 5040 gp.

That said, those guidelines also say that you should refer to similar items first. Look at Minor Schema (MoE pg 122).
That's 11,200 GP for a 4th level spell, 1/day.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #606 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:58 AM »
Schism can be targeted by spells and things.  Rage specifies 'you'.

EDIT:  Schema are overpriced.  Look at what the spell does.  Find other items that do that (bracers of armour for mage armour etc), cost it from that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:42:02 AM by Rejakor »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #607 on: September 09, 2011, 08:47:22 AM »
Schism can be targeted by spells and things.  Rage specifies 'you'.

EDIT:  Schema are overpriced.  Look at what the spell does.  Find other items that do that (bracers of armour for mage armour etc), cost it from that.

Why is it that people ignore rules they don't like? The rules just are, like it or not.
You can get a Wand, for 50 uses, but that's gonna cost you WAY more.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #608 on: September 09, 2011, 01:42:44 PM »
Q175:  Arcane Archer's Imbue Arrow ability lets me cast any area spell as a Standard action per RAW.  So, theoretically, I could use this to cast (Greater) Glyph of Warding, despite its casting time of 10 minutes.  If I do it this way, can I still store other spells in it, or could I only use the damage version of the Glyph?

Q176:  Lets say I use the above ability to cast Guards and Wards as a Standard action.  Would this effect enemies currently in whatever structure I cast it on?  I'm wondering if this could be used offensively, putting up things like multiple Gusts of Wind, Stinking Clouds, Webs/Fog Clouds, etc.  I'm especially curious about passive abilities like the Suggestion effect.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #609 on: September 09, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »
Q 177: Repost from old thread : What ways are there with spells to add to skirmish?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Bard

« Reply #610 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
Q178: Are there any rules/faq/errata/articles/sage stuff about the order of bonus and penalty stacking? (For example a more powerful animal companion + nature bond + beastmaster)
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #611 on: September 09, 2011, 11:10:42 PM »
Q 179 If you normally do 5d6 with an attack, and you go one size smaller, what's your new damage?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #612 on: September 09, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »
What normally does 5d6 with an attack?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #613 on: September 10, 2011, 01:47:25 AM »
Q 177: Repost from old thread : What ways are there with spells to add to skirmish?
A 177: Shapechange into a hound of the hunt (Wild Hunt, MM5 [or 4?]) - they get 5d6 skirmish as an Ex attack.

Q 180: I'm a druid with a Con score of 14.  While in my natural humanoid form I get slammed by a wraith twice for a total of 12 points of Con drain; I now have a Con of 2 (and a max of 12 hp's).  I then wildshape into a Wolverine (Con 19).  I know my HP's don't change, but is my Constitution score now 19 or 7?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #614 on: September 10, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »
A mob. I'm making it one size smaller.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #615 on: September 10, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »
Q181)  what ways besides the Torc of Heroic Sacrifice (MIC) are there to take hits for an ally?  In particular, I'm interested in spells, if they exist.  I know there's Friend Shield, but that requires you to cast it ahead of time.  Something that I can use more "on the fly" would be preferable.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #616 on: September 10, 2011, 03:35:09 AM »

Presumably, it works the same as a swarm, where damage is based on hit dice, not size. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #617 on: September 10, 2011, 03:50:32 AM »

Presumably, it works the same as a swarm, where damage is based on hit dice, not size. 
Okay, different question then.

Q 182 The CR for a mob is currently too high (CR 8) for the party to face off against right now. A swarm doesn't work either though. What ways are there to reduce the CR to make it more viable for a 3rd-5th level party to face off against? Add negative levels?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #618 on: September 10, 2011, 05:02:20 AM »
Q 182 The CR for a mob is currently too high (CR 8) for the party to face off against right now. A swarm doesn't work either though. What ways are there to reduce the CR to make it more viable for a 3rd-5th level party to face off against? Add negative levels?

You could reverse the +1 CR per 4 HD guide for humanoids as an ad hoc adjustment.  If you aim for CR 4, take off 16 HD.  That should reduce the damage to 3d6, among other changes. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #619 on: September 10, 2011, 05:04:50 AM »

You could reverse the +1 CR per 4 HD guide for humanoids as an ad hoc adjustment.  If you aim for CR 4, take off 16 HD.  That should reduce the damage to 3d6, among other changes. 
Would that keep it as gargantuan size as well, maybe possibly huge? Guess it wouldn't really matter since Str, Dex, and Con stay the same anyways.