Author Topic: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus  (Read 144078 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha
Don't worry about it. Nothing's going to work apparently.

Wanted to use a medium size weapon but gain large size damage.
Sizing property maybe?
Might have to go that route. Was hoping not to. PC just wants to hit things harder and do more damage.

Is it a bludgeoning weapon?  There's the Mighty Wallop and Greater Mighty Wallop spells in Races of the Dragon.  The former increases the damage dice of a weapon as if it were one category larger; and the latter effectively increases the size by 1/four caster levels (max Colossal).
Ooh. Why yes it is a bludgeoning weapon.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2011, 10:01:35 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Sizing property maybe?

Q104: Can I take two (or more) Totem Barbarian variants that are in the SRD?
What's this, no takers?
And BTW. It would be grand if you would give a very good explanation with the enswer. ;)

A104: Even if you could get the dual-totem idea past your DM, you would have to adjust the granted abilities because you give up mostly the same abilities in the process.  In most cases, you give up Fast Movement, Trap Sense, Uncanny Dodge, and Improved Uncanny Dodge.  Eagle, Horse, and Lion each give up one or two fewer abilities, but none of them line up to allow you to take two at once.

The description leaves it open to create your own totem animal, so maybe go that route and combine two of the abilities.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:04:05 PM by Gnomeo »
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Sizing property maybe?

Q104: Can I take two (or more) Totem Barbarian variants that are in the SRD?
What's this, no takers?
And BTW. It would be grand if you would give a very good explanation with the enswer. ;)

A104: Even if you could get the dual-totem idea past your DM, you would have to adjust the granted abilities because you give up mostly the same abilities in the process.  In most cases, you give up Fast Movement, Trap Sense, Uncanny Dodge, and Improved Uncanny Dodge.  Eagle, Horse, and Lion each give up one or two fewer abilities, but none of them line up to allow you to take two at once.

The description leaves it open to create your own totem animal, so maybe go that route and combine two of the abilities.
Note that there are also Totem variants in Complete Champion; they're marginally less restrictive in which things you give up, so it's possible, with planning, to combine them a bit easier with the SRD/UA Totem variants.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Just use the large weapon and fluff it as hitting harder rather than a bigger weapon?
Can't. Weapon isn't large-size unless sizing is put on it because it's a legendary weapon. Which is basically like getting a minor artifact, and putting the weapon property on that.
Can you use the Heavy Metal weapon rules from Magic of Faerun?  Make it out of gold, and spend an exotic weapon feat.  Done.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2011, 11:25:05 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Just use the large weapon and fluff it as hitting harder rather than a bigger weapon?
Can't. Weapon isn't large-size unless sizing is put on it because it's a legendary weapon. Which is basically like getting a minor artifact, and putting the weapon property on that.
Can you use the Heavy Metal weapon rules from Magic of Faerun?  Make it out of gold, and spend an exotic weapon feat.  Done.
Unfortunately the weapon is already made and giving legendary abilities, but what about plating it? Like a gold plating, or platinum plating? Are there rules for that?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #385 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:03 PM »
Q 108: Several of the abilities gained by the half-fiend template are based on Hit Dice (SR, SLA's, Smite Good).  These abilities improve as you gain class levels (and thus HD), right?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #386 on: August 27, 2011, 11:39:25 PM »
Q 108: Several of the abilities gained by the half-fiend template are based on Hit Dice (SR, SLA's, Smite Good).  These abilities improve as you gain class levels (and thus HD), right?
Correct. The Savage Species version explains it a little better. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »

If you are going to use a half fiend don't forget to read the web enhancement:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: August 27, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
Q 109 Hypothetically speaking, and I'm hoping to eventually make this possible at 20th level, what's the next dice progression after 12d6?

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #389 on: August 28, 2011, 12:24:49 AM »
Q 109 Hypothetically speaking, and I'm hoping to eventually make this possible at 20th level, what's the next dice progression after 12d6?

Based on the progression given for Improved Natural Attack, it should go 12d6 -> 16d6. Starting at 2d6, every two increases doubles the number of dice you're adding. So 2d6 -> 3d6 -> 4d6 = +1 die at each step. 4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6 is +2 dice, 8d6 -> 12d6 is +4 dice, so 16d6 is the next logical increase. Followed by 16d6 -> 24d6 -> 32d6, assuming you could pile on more modifiers (look at shillelagh and earth hammer, maybe).
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #390 on: August 28, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »
(look at shillelagh and earth hammer, maybe).
Where might I find that one?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #391 on: August 28, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
Q 110: What is the interaction between a Deeper Darkness spell-like ability, and an everburning torch/continual flame? (And is it different if it is the Wiz 2 version or Clr 3 version of continual flame?)

Q 111: The poison spell feat from Drow of the Underdark states "You can add a contact or injury poison as a material component to a melee touch spell you are casting. ... The target of the spell, in addition to being subject to the normal effects of the spell, is also exposed to the poison. (A melee touch spell must deal damage to deliver the effect of an injury poison.) ..."

Suppose you are a 5th level wizard, and you cast a poison spelled Chill touch.  Did you just get 5 uses out of one dose of poison?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:39:46 AM by ksbsnowowl »

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #392 on: August 28, 2011, 12:45:43 AM »
(look at shillelagh and earth hammer, maybe).
Where might I find that one?

Races of stone. Makes one bludgeoning weapon count as adamantine (overriding the base material) and increases damage by two size categories (with no size cap). Slap shillelagh, earth hammer, and greater mighty wallop on a weapon and it becomes an effective Colossal++++ as far as damage is concerned, assuming you start at Small or greater. That's nine increases for a Small weapon, or eight for a Medium one. A Medium club would do 1d6 -> 2d6 -> 3d6 -> 4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6 -> 12d6 -> 16d6 -> 24d6 base weapon damage. And be +1 and count as adamantine.

Interesting fact: a permanent shillelagh on your weapon costs 2,000 gp and makes it a +1 weapon and increases the base damage by two steps. That's better than a standard +1 weapon for the exact same price.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #393 on: August 28, 2011, 12:51:49 AM »
Only problem is that unless you're a wizard/cleric/druid, you couldn't do all three. A wizard/archivist might though. Now I just have to figure out how to give a fighter a cleric 5 spell.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #394 on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:30 AM »

If you are going to use a half fiend don't forget to read the web enhancement:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a
Well, that article states that the SR is based solely on Monster HD, and not any class HD...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: August 28, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »
Well, that article states that the SR is based solely on Monster HD, and not any class HD...
No, it says creature's HD. Doesn't specify as to what HD the creature has to have.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #396 on: August 28, 2011, 01:34:40 AM »
No, it says creature's HD. Doesn't specify as to what HD the creature has to have.
Ehem.
Remember that HD for determining spell resistance means racial HD, not those gained with class levels.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: August 28, 2011, 01:44:22 AM »
Ehem.
Remember that HD for determining spell resistance means racial HD, not those gained with class levels.
Ignore it. WotC did with every single build they've ever done with the half-fiend.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #398 on: August 28, 2011, 01:47:59 AM »
Q 110: What is the interaction between a Deeper Darkness spell-like ability, and an everburning torch/continual flame? (And is it different if it is the Wiz 2 version or Clr 3 version of continual flame?)

They would dispel each other if it was the Cleric version of continual flame. The Wizard version would get dispelled without affecting the deeper darkness.

Q 111: The poison spell feat from Drow of the Underdark states "You can add a contact or injury poison as a material component to a melee touch spell you are casting. ... The target of the spell, in addition to being subject to the normal effects of the spell, is also exposed to the poison. (A melee touch spell must deal damage to deliver the effect of an injury poison.) ..."

Suppose you are a 5th level wizard, and you cast a poison spelled Chill touch.  Did you just get 5 uses out of one dose of poison?

Yes.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #399 on: August 28, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »

They would dispel each other if it was the Cleric version of continual flame. The Wizard version would get dispelled without affecting the deeper darkness.
Does this section I just found change that?
Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell
To make sure, that line is only talking about direct attempts to prevent someone from casting a given spell?

Sorry, just having a brain fart right now.

Yes.
Sweet.

Q 112: Deeper Darkness seems to have a contradictory set of statements concerning negating and/or dispelling Daylight.
Daylight brought into an area of deeper darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect.

Deeper darkness counters and dispels any light spell of equal or lower level, including daylight
If DD dispells daylight, how can it also merely temporarily negate it?

Maybe I'm not understanding what "counters and dispels any [opposing light/dark] spell of equal or lower level" means.