Author Topic: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus  (Read 144466 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus
« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »
Q104: Can I take two (or more) Totem Barbarian variants that are in the SRD?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:08:14 PM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2011, 02:29:30 PM »
Q 105 Is there a way to add a half-giant's Powerful Build to another race, such as a human? Even as a feat?
the closest thing I know of is jotunbrud :shrug
Dang, that is so close. I was really hoping more so for the damage bonus.

There is always monkey grip.
That just lets you hold onto a bigger weapon. I'm talking about wielding a weapon as if you're one size larger for the bonus damage.
3.0 Monkey Grip = Wield a human greatsword in one hand. Take a -2 penalty to attacks.
3.5 Monkey Grip = Wield an Ogre-sized Longsword in one hand, or an ogre-sized greataxe in two hands. Take a -2 penalty to attacks.

3.5 Monkey Grip, combined with Jotunbrud, is exactly like Powerful Build, except you have a -2 to attack with Large-sized weapons.

Unless the bolded part has some strange meaning I'm not understanding, the bonus damage you're talking about is merely the weapon's damage dice going up. IE - Large Longsword dealing 2d6 damage.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

rot42

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Q102 Are there any spells other than mage armor and luminous armor (and their greater cousins) that give an armor bonus to AC?

Lost Empires of Faerun pg33  Mailed Might of the Magelords - lvl5
(force spell)

Gives you +8 Armor bonus
immunity to 2nd lvl and lower Force Spells
AND DR 5/magic

Component = a miniature admantine shield worth 250gps

:D

There are also some spells in... Champions of Valor? that give you actual armor (a mithril breastplate, golden full plate) that might have reduced ASF or something like that.

Yeah, Champions of Valor is right. They grant proficiency but no reduced ASF, though. Might work on a Runesmith (Races of Stone 118) or something.

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
Q. 107:

Where can I find the feats Gunslinger and Improved Gunslinger and what do they do?

A nice Gunmage build would also have both Gunslinger and Improved Gunslinger.

Gunmage with Arcane Disciple (War) would grab Divine Power. +20 to Initiative, anyone?

We could have a build in that, you know.
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
Q 105 Is there a way to add a half-giant's Powerful Build to another race, such as a human? Even as a feat?
the closest thing I know of is jotunbrud :shrug
Dang, that is so close. I was really hoping more so for the damage bonus.

There is always monkey grip.
That just lets you hold onto a bigger weapon. I'm talking about wielding a weapon as if you're one size larger for the bonus damage.

Half Giant:
. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size.

Monkey Grip:

I fail to see what you mean, sure there is a -2 involved but they are basically the same thing...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: August 27, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha
Don't worry about it. Nothing's going to work apparently.

Wanted to use a medium size weapon but gain large size damage.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #366 on: August 27, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Sizing property maybe?

What's this, no takers?
And BTW. It would be grand if you would give a very good explanation with the enswer. ;)

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: August 27, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Sizing property maybe?
Might have to go that route. Was hoping not to. PC just wants to hit things harder and do more damage.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #368 on: August 27, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »
Q 106:  Can an evil character make a UMD check to fake a good alignment to cast a sanctified spell from a scroll?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: August 27, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Just use the large weapon and fluff it as hitting harder rather than a bigger weapon?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: August 27, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Just use the large weapon and fluff it as hitting harder rather than a bigger weapon?
Can't. Weapon isn't large-size unless sizing is put on it because it's a legendary weapon. Which is basically like getting a minor artifact, and putting the weapon property on that.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: August 27, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
Q 106:  Can an evil character make a UMD check to fake a good alignment to cast a sanctified spell from a scroll?
Yes.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #372 on: August 27, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »
Q107: Where can I find the passage that says that you can use multiple variants on the same class, provided that you meet all the mechanical requirements?

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #373 on: August 27, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
Q107: Where can I find the passage that says that you can use multiple variants on the same class, provided that you meet all the mechanical requirements?

In a sidebar on page 48 of Unearthed Arcana, multiclassing and variant classes are addressed.  (It's also in the SRD.)  It doesn't actually give a definite answer. 

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #374 on: August 27, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »

In a sidebar on page 48 of Unearthed Arcana, multiclassing and variant classes are addressed.  (It's also in the SRD.)  It doesn't actually give a definite answer.  
Yeah, I found that in the SRD.
The issue is that I need to know if you can have two (or more) Totem Barbarian variants (and one of the two I want isn't even in the SRD, but in CCh) and have an articulate explanation why it is so. :|
Note that I'm not talking about multiclassing, but having a (for example) 10th level Barbarian that has both the Lion Totem and Wolf Totem variants.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:45:13 PM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Can't. Weapon isn't large-size unless sizing is put on it because it's a legendary weapon. Which is basically like getting a minor artifact, and putting the weapon property on that.

If it is any consolation its would only be a max of about 3 points of damage anyway.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

If it is any consolation its would only be a max of about 3 points of damage anyway.
Yeah, that's true. Just trying to make the other melee fighters on par with the half-giant with strongarm bracers and expansion.

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »

In a sidebar on page 48 of Unearthed Arcana, multiclassing and variant classes are addressed.  (It's also in the SRD.)  It doesn't actually give a definite answer.  

You can take different alternate class features provided that you have the requisite feature to swap still.  AFB but I think Wolf from the SRD and Lion from CC are compatible.  Lion swaps Fast Movement for pounce and wolf is one of the few SRD totems that doesn't require swapping fast movement.
Yeah, I found that in the SRD.
The issue is that I need to know if you can have two (or more) Totem Barbarian variants (and one of the two I want isn't even in the SRD, but in CCh) and have an articulate explanation why it is so. :|
Note that I'm not talking about multiclassing, but having a (for example) 10th level Barbarian that has both the Lion Totem and Wolf Totem variants.
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #378 on: August 27, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »

Well, that's not combining variant classes, that's combining a variant class with an alternative class feature.  I don't believe any interaction between variant classes and alternative class features is described in the rules, but I would assume it's fine as long as the variant class has the same feature at the same level as the normal class. 

Gnomeo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #379 on: August 27, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »
@ ksbsnowowl and Littha

Sizing property maybe?
Might have to go that route. Was hoping not to. PC just wants to hit things harder and do more damage.

Is it a bludgeoning weapon?  There's the Mighty Wallop and Greater Mighty Wallop spells in Races of the Dragon.  The former increases the damage dice of a weapon as if it were one category larger; and the latter effectively increases the size by 1/four caster levels (max Colossal).
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.