Author Topic: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus  (Read 144482 times)

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus
« Reply #440 on: August 30, 2011, 02:35:59 AM »
Q124  Alright, tough one, but if you got any ideas, plese let me know.  There's a spell in a Wotc Splatbook that allows someone to make a kind of attack using a moving action.  I believe this is a personal spell and is from 3rd-7th level.  Any ideas?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #441 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:46 AM »
Q124  Alright, tough one, but if you got any ideas, plese let me know.  There's a spell in a Wotc Splatbook that allows someone to make a kind of attack using a moving action.  I believe this is a personal spell and is from 3rd-7th level.  Any ideas?

I can think of 5 spells that do that: defenestrating sphere (Spell Compendium), flaming sphere, numbing sphere (Frostburn), sphere of ultimate destruction (Spell Compendium), and stone sphere (Underdark). 

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: August 30, 2011, 03:01:58 AM »
Q 123 May not be a simple question, but PC will be taking Enlarge Person soon, I need a large size mini for a female warrior type. Any suggestions?

Depending on what scale the models you are using at the moment are there are a lot of mini wargames out there with a variety of scales.
We're mostly using D&D minis, and a few from Heroscape that I was able to grab.

well those are 30mm so 54mm would be a good size for a large creature I think. For example:
http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/54mm-firstborn-miniatures.asp
or
http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/miniatures-detail.asp?ID=34956
or
http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/54mm-warlord-saga-miniatures.asp

Bear in mind however that most minis are supplied unassembled and unpainted.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:03:30 AM by Littha »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: August 30, 2011, 04:37:14 AM »
Q 123 May not be a simple question, but PC will be taking Enlarge Person soon, I need a large size mini for a female warrior type. Any suggestions?

Depending on what scale the models you are using at the moment are there are a lot of mini wargames out there with a variety of scales.
We're mostly using D&D minis, and a few from Heroscape that I was able to grab.

well those are 30mm so 54mm would be a good size for a large creature I think. For example:
http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/54mm-firstborn-miniatures.asp
or
http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/miniatures-detail.asp?ID=34956
or
http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/54mm-warlord-saga-miniatures.asp

Bear in mind however that most minis are supplied unassembled and unpainted.
So they're unpainted, unassembled, and they're at least $30 a shot. Yikes.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19:48 AM »
Q 122 Is there a metamagic feat that lets you use a target more than one person with a "one creature" spell? If not, just a regular feat?

A 122 Chain Spell is a +3 level metamagic feat that gives one secondary target per caster level for a single target ranged spell. The effect is easier to resist on the secondary targets (either 1/2 damage and an extra reflex save, or -4 to the save DC), but it doesn't matter for most buff spells. The feat is from Complete Arcane.
It's going to be used by a halfling sorcerer who, when he thinks the party might not actually be able to defeat the pride of creatures, will freeze as many as possible in place so that the creatures will attack the easy prey and he can escape. The spell itself is "one creature". A metamagic rod of that might just work.
Metamagic Rod (Chaining), Magic Item Compendium p.165.
I don't see it, but is there any particular reason why that rod's half the cost of the one in Complete Arcane?

Probably cause it's MIC, they reduced the cost of several items after they figured, "this stuff is far too expensive".  That be one of 'em apparently.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: August 30, 2011, 05:22:23 AM »
Q 122 Is there a metamagic feat that lets you use a target more than one person with a "one creature" spell? If not, just a regular feat?

A 122 Chain Spell is a +3 level metamagic feat that gives one secondary target per caster level for a single target ranged spell. The effect is easier to resist on the secondary targets (either 1/2 damage and an extra reflex save, or -4 to the save DC), but it doesn't matter for most buff spells. The feat is from Complete Arcane.
It's going to be used by a halfling sorcerer who, when he thinks the party might not actually be able to defeat the pride of creatures, will freeze as many as possible in place so that the creatures will attack the easy prey and he can escape. The spell itself is "one creature". A metamagic rod of that might just work.
I don't see it, but is there any particular reason why that rod's half the cost of the one in Complete Arcane?

Probably cause it's MIC, they reduced the cost of several items after they figured, "this stuff is far too expensive".  That be one of 'em apparently.
That's quite possible. It's just that a lot of the items seem to have some kind of catch now. Like the vampire hide is silver OR magic instead of silver AND magic. The relics are now +1 instead of +3 and has lesser versions of the abilities they had in C. Divine. There's lots of tweaks. Just don't want to get my hopes up and find out I missed a subtle clue that I'm getting bent over.

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

rot42

« Reply #447 on: August 30, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »

A124: Evard's Menacing Tentacles (PHB II, 113)? It gives you two attacks per round as a free action for a third level Druid or Sorcerer/Wizard spell.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #448 on: August 30, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »

That's quite possible. It's just that a lot of the items seem to have some kind of catch now. Like the vampire hide is silver OR magic instead of silver AND magic. The relics are now +1 instead of +3 and has lesser versions of the abilities they had in C. Divine. There's lots of tweaks. Just don't want to get my hopes up and find out I missed a subtle clue that I'm getting bent over.
Function-wise, the Metamagic rods remain identical to their original printings.  They actually cost too much in those locations (compare a CArc Rod of Chaining to a Rod of Quicken.  Although Quicken spell has a higher slot adjustment, the Chaining Rod from CArc costs significantly more)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #449 on: August 30, 2011, 04:47:22 PM »
Q125:  Is there an easy way to get Combat Expertise without meeting the Intelligence requirement?  I want to put Karmic Strike on something really stupid, at a low level (why Karmic Strike and not Robilar's Gambit).
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kremti

• Email
« Reply #450 on: August 30, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

Function-wise, the Metamagic rods remain identical to their original printings.  They actually cost too much in those locations (compare a CArc Rod of Chaining to a Rod of Quicken.  Although Quicken spell has a higher slot adjustment, the Chaining Rod from CArc costs significantly more)

Or, look at the price of the Maximize Rod on SRD...the new Chain Rods are the same price, and they are both +3 adjustment.  Looks like CArc versions were simply overpriced...

-K

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #451 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »

Or, look at the price of the Maximize Rod on SRD...the new Chain Rods are the same price, and they are both +3 adjustment.  Looks like CArc versions were simply overpriced...

-K
I'm cool with that.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #452 on: August 30, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
Q125:  Is there an easy way to get Combat Expertise without meeting the Intelligence requirement?  I want to put Karmic Strike on something really stupid, at a low level (why Karmic Strike and not Robilar's Gambit).

Passive way monk 1. 

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

« Reply #453 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »

A124: Evard's Menacing Tentacles (PHB II, 113)? It gives you two attacks per round as a free action for a third level Druid or Sorcerer/Wizard spell.

Thanks for the try guys, but I don't think it's in the Completes or PHB2, it's definitely a move action to do something.  Darn, I am really kicking myself now for not writing it down properly.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #454 on: August 30, 2011, 10:12:10 PM »
Q124  Alright, tough one, but if you got any ideas, plese let me know.  There's a spell in a Wotc Splatbook that allows someone to make a kind of attack using a moving action.  I believe this is a personal spell and is from 3rd-7th level.  Any ideas?
Thanks for the try guys, but I don't think it's in the Completes or PHB2, it's definitely a move action to do something.  Darn, I am really kicking myself now for not writing it down properly.

Harmonize and greater harmonize (Races of Stone) do this for bardic music.  Insightful feint (Spell Compendium) does this for feinting.  Greater dimension door (Spell Compendium) gives move-action teleportation.  

Q 126:is eligible for persistent spell.) 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:57:48 PM by Maat_Mons »

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #455 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
Q 127: In the description for the Devotion feats in CC, it doesn't state when you have to trade in the Domain for the Devotion feat.... If you were a human and took Able Learner and grabbed a rank in each of the Knowledges, could you then swap out the Domain for the Devotion feat, and be able to max out all of them?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #457 on: August 30, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
Q 127: In the description for the Devotion feats in CC, it doesn't state when you have to trade in the Domain for the Devotion feat.... If you were a human and took Able Learner and grabbed a rank in each of the Knowledges, could you then swap out the Domain for the Devotion feat, and be able to max out all of them?

If you take the feat you dont have to trade a domain. Clerics (and clerics only) have a special option to do that but can take the feats too.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #458 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:18 AM »
Quote from: Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf
A: 127 They would still be cross-class skills for you so max rank = (level+3)/2

I remember reading somewhere that if you have a rank in a skill that your max ranks in that skill are not considered cross class, but if the class you're leveling up in doesn't have that skill you'd obviously have to pay double (2 points per rank).

But Able Learner would alleviate that problem.

Quote from: Littha
If you take the feat you dont have to trade a domain. Clerics (and clerics only) have a special option to do that but can take the feats too.

I realize that, but feats are precious and the build is rather starved, so if there's an easy way around it, I'll take it.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #459 on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:50 AM »
Q 128: Any inexpensive items out there that provide immunity to fatigue for the wearer/carrier?  Loosely-worded ability to ignore the detrimental effects of sunlight will work too, if it's available and cheaper.  Or possibly magical darkness and the ability to s

Q 128: Is there an inexpensive item to get around the daylight downside of Troll Blooded?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:48:21 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."