Author Topic: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus  (Read 144067 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Simple Q&A 28: Revenge of the Monktopus
« Reply #540 on: September 04, 2011, 12:13:31 AM »
Multiplying Damage

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception:

Q153:  What is an "extra" damage die, exactly?  Would your natural weapon damage from beast strike count and not be multiplied?
I believe anything that adds a given number of dwhatevers.  Like sneak attack or iaijutsu focus or arcane channeling, or frost weapons.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Slz the Resolute

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #541 on: September 04, 2011, 02:49:30 AM »
Q154:Does anyone know of a build that focuses on debuff a target's saves?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #542 on: September 04, 2011, 04:12:17 AM »

There have been some builds that utilize the dark companion alternative class feature for hexblade (Player's Handbook II) and the aura of despair of the paladin of tyranny variant class. 

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #543 on: September 04, 2011, 05:10:52 AM »
Q155: Anything amiss rule wise here?

1: If I used Awesome Smite (CC) to ignore all miss chances and Smote a Mirror Image while the original it out of melee range, it still hits.
2: Extra Smiting (CW) grants +2 uses per day to anything with a name that includes "Smite". If you are an Ordained Champion, this feat should give you +2 Turns per day.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #544 on: September 04, 2011, 05:36:47 AM »
Extra Smiting (CW) grants +2 uses per day to anything with a name that includes "Smite". If you are an Ordained Champion, this feat should give you +2 Turns per day.

Why wouldn't you take extra turning

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #545 on: September 04, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »
Q155: Anything amiss rule wise here?

1: If I used Awesome Smite (CC) to ignore all miss chances and Smote a Mirror Image while the original it out of melee range, it still hits.
2: Extra Smiting (CW) grants +2 uses per day to anything with a name that includes "Smite". If you are an Ordained Champion, this feat should give you +2 Turns per day.

Well mirror image doesn't provide a miss chance as such, so the seeking smite maneuver doesn't work against it in the first place.  The actual target being in or out of range is irrelevant.

No idea about #2.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #546 on: September 04, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
Q 145: What happens if a ghost uses Malevolence to possess someone then de-manifests?

That depends on whether Malevolence would require the ghost to manifest in the first place. Worst case scenario, the possession ceases (as it's dependent on the manifestation itself), best case scenario, it goes on.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #547 on: September 04, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »

There have been some builds that utilize the dark companion alternative class feature for hexblade (Player's Handbook II) and the aura of despair of the paladin of tyranny variant class. 
[nitpick]Hexblade itself is in Complete Warrior, which may not have been clear in the above quoted response. [/nitpick] The Dread Necromancer, the Binder, and the Warlock also have methods of debuffing saves to varying degrees of efficiency.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

TheMasaoL

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: September 04, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
Q156. If Im reading Polymorph Any Object correctly one could increase up to four size categories. My reason for thinking this is that the examples given show a pebble being turned human. Pebbles typically are rocks that are less than 6 inches making them Fine size category and humans are, of course, medium.  So in practice I could turn a human into a colossal size category bolder, right?

Q157 Again with Polymorph Any Object. Since I can turn one creature into another creature could i do the following?
     ~turn into myself or an opposite genderd version of myself
     ~turn a creature into an outsider type creature.
     ~turn a creature into a creature who is an outsider.
      ~Turn a creature into one with a subtype.
     ~turn a creature into a templated creature

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #549 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
Q158: If you use Polymorph Any Object or Shapechange to become undead, how does that interact with the Corpsecrafter feats?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #550 on: September 04, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
A158: It doesn't.  The entire corpsecrafter line of feats demands necromancy spells.  PAO and Shapechange are transmutation.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

CustosTheFluffy

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something witty will one day go here....
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: September 04, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
Q159: What is the longest reach melee weapon available? Looking for the spiked chain on crack and the GM says I can't make a custom chain with 100ft of chain, slight exaggeration. That it must be stated in a book.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #552 on: September 04, 2011, 11:03:46 PM »
I think a meteor hammer has longer reach, but I can't recall where it's from.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CustosTheFluffy

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something witty will one day go here....
    • Email
« Reply #553 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
Still just 10' though. I want to keep enemies far far away. Good other option, though.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #554 on: September 05, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
Strictly speaking, reach weapons only double your natural reach.  For small and medium creatures, that means it's doubled to 10 feet.  The size of the weapon doesn't matter, only the size of the creature wielding it.

If you're medium and want a weapon with longer reach, your only options are the whip and its cousins that can strike at 15 feet.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #555 on: September 05, 2011, 03:09:57 AM »
Strictly speaking, reach weapons only double your natural reach.  For small and medium creatures, that means it's doubled to 10 feet.  The size of the weapon doesn't matter, only the size of the creature wielding it.

If you're medium and want a weapon with longer reach, your only options are the whip and its cousins that can strike at 15 feet.

Might I suggest combining the daggerwhip that gives lethal damage with a whip, with the water whip I seem to remember in MIC.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

hakinaro

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:34 AM »
Q 160
Are undead immune to dazing i wanted to see if my undead sorcerer could spam born of the three thunders without becoming dazed?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: September 05, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »
Q 160
Are undead immune to dazing i wanted to see if my undead sorcerer could spam born of the three thunders without becoming dazed?

I suggest you do some rather trivial research and look up the undead type in either a monster manual or the SRD. However for reference undead have:
# Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
# Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
# Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.

along with:
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

So no, undead are not immune to daze unless it gives a fort save.

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »
Q161: What are the limitations (and where) what creature qualifies as a mount and what does not? I heard it has to be one size greater and CR 3 under your ECL, but couldn't find it in the rules.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #559 on: September 05, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »
Why would something's CR have to be 3 under your ECL to use it as a mount?  I'm sure that it's possible, for example, to get a T-Rex as a mount when you're ECL 8.

Or are you talking the Special Mount class feature?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.