Author Topic: High Damage Charge build that comes online at level 6?  (Read 3569 times)

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
High Damage Charge build that comes online at level 6?
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:48:04 AM »
Dear all,

Does anyone have an idea to make a charging build that does lots of damage that works well at level 6?  I've seen http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2462.20 for a list of hood builds, but a lot of those seem to come online at around level 8 or so.  I'm also not seeing any synergy with shock trooper either.  Ideas?

--Bill

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: High Damage Charge build that comes online at level 6?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:24:04 AM »
Human Lion Totem Barbarian 1 / Paladin 5
Feats: Mounted CombatH, Power AttackF, Improved BullrushF, Ride-By Attack1st, Spirited Charge3rd, Shock Trooper6th.
Items (wbl 13k): +1 Valorous Lance (8,310gp).
Spells: Rhino's Charge.
Quintuple damage during a charge with a 1:2 PA rate and you attack twice.

P.S. Optionally you can also use Charging Smite for +15 (+75 after multipliers) damage too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:29:02 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
That's a really great suggestion thanks!  I'm wondering how much a permanent reduce person would cost, it would be nice to be small and ride on a medium mount in case the DM is mean about taking your horse into dungeons.  Seems like it needs to be human to fit in all the required feats.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:25:50 AM »
That's a really great suggestion thanks!  I'm wondering how much a permanent reduce person would cost, it would be nice to be small and ride on a medium mount in case the DM is mean about taking your horse into dungeons.  Seems like it needs to be human to fit in all the required feats.
Or Stronghearted Halfing, which gives an extra feat and it is also small so it can ride a Dire Bat. :)

As for later on, pick up some Riding Boots (DMGII, 12k) for another multiplier and if your DM allows you to rip the special double change while charging trait out of Knight's Sword (A&E) you can snag yet another (x7 damage!). Your weapon will be something like a +2 Gloryborn Berserker Valorous Wrathful Healing Collision Katori Resin Lance of Fearun which gives a lot of stuff. Like Spirited Charge allowing you to retrain all three mount related feats out for something else, it upgrades your Barb's Rage to Greater Rage, you heal half the damage you deal, and umm it's a +4 lance that deals 1d10+10+(everything else) damage with an x4 critical multiplier while raging/charging I think.

I had a recent deathball like Barb in some thread, dealt over 6k per charge in a 20ft area of death. And I didn't even use the TO Ubercharger's method of trying to apply mounted related effects with jumping effects. Sadly, I could do better (for instance it only used an x5 mod), charging is so broken. >.>
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:28:40 AM by SorO_Lost »
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Gribel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:03 AM »
That's a really great suggestion thanks!  I'm wondering how much a permanent reduce person would cost, it would be nice to be small and ride on a medium mount in case the DM is mean about taking your horse into dungeons.  Seems like it needs to be human to fit in all the required feats.
Or Stronghearted Halfing, which gives an extra feat and it is also small so it can ride a Dire Bat. :)

As for later on, pick up some Riding Boots (DMGII, 12k) for another multiplier and if your DM allows you to rip the special double change while charging trait out of Knight's Sword (A&E) you can snag yet another (x7 damage!). Your weapon will be something like a +2 Gloryborn Berserker Valorous Wrathful Healing Collision Katori Resin Lance of Fearun which gives a lot of stuff. Like Spirited Charge allowing you to retrain all three mount related feats out for something else, it upgrades your Barb's Rage to Greater Rage, you heal half the damage you deal, and umm it's a +4 lance that deals 1d10+10+(everything else) damage with an x4 critical multiplier while raging/charging I think.

I had a recent deathball like Barb in some thread, dealt over 6k per charge in a 20ft area of death. And I didn't even use the TO Ubercharger's method of trying to apply mounted related effects with jumping effects. Sadly, I could do better (for instance it only used an x5 mod), charging is so broken. >.>
Minor thing: can't rage if Lawful and Paladins are Lawful. Still, great damage, which got me thinking: in a real game, and it seems to me that is supposed to be a played character, is all that damage necessary to 1-shot the enemies?

Even though you specifically asked for a charging build, I'll sugest you something somewhat different. Only one flaw.

Human Whirling Frenzy Wolf Totem Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 2 / Fighter 4

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain), Jotunbrud, Battle Jump, Improved Trip(Wolf Totem), Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Improved Bullrush, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper.

+1 Valorous Spiked Chain.

A charging build which can also do BFC.

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »
Doesn't Dungeoncrasher ACF comes online at level 6?

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »

Just for my own morbid curiousity.... how do you do area damage on a charge? (?!)
Yes, I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition bards.  Keep this in mind if I mention something bard-centric in response to posts.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
Just for my own morbid curiousity.... how do you do area damage on a charge? (?!)

War Mind lets you attack two adjacent squares...

Greyfell

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »
silly me, I've actually built warmind's too!

wow.. that is sort of amusing and really scary :)
Yes, I'm a huge fan of 3rd edition bards.  Keep this in mind if I mention something bard-centric in response to posts.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »

War Mind lets you attack two adjacent squares...
And War Hulk would do you one better, but it screws over your BaB pretty badly.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
Really it's a large number of attacks with reach. The Last Barb I think had 7 attacks and each one dealt over 800 damage. so functionally it kills 7 people inside a 20ft area each round. Also 10ft reach to either side really comes out to a 25ft wide counting the area you're in so I was kinda off.

Now with that said, Lance of the Unending Charge(A&E) removes the limitations of movement though (Might) Cleave allowing you to move up to your move speed (ie 5ft step becomes finish moving). If you get a mount capable of turning during a chargeyou can become a bendable line of death killing EVERYONE within your charge movement. Can you say fighterdoken?

As for Lawful vs not, Barbarian requires none-lawful but it's not a PrC so you change to Lawful. I'm not aware of Rage it's self makes you none-lawful, even a Wolverine's alignment is TN.
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
Half Orc Paragon gets Rage 1/day at level one, but can be lawful. Barbarians who stop being non-lawful do lose their rage iirc.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Mooncrow

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
Barbarians who stop being non-lawful do lose their rage iirc.

Yes, they do, though they keep the rest of their class abilities.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
Pretty sure he's in it for the pounce, not the rage.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 04:13:06 PM »

Dire Bats are Large sized, as are dire eagles; medium-sized flying mounts are surprisingly evasive. Advanced Eagle or Desmodu Hunting Bat are possible I suppose. Burrowing mounts, now, there's a selection there, thanks to gnomes and Races of Stone.

(Fleshrakers of course do the most impressive number of rolls and varied things on a charge but aren't available outside of animal companion situations.)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »
Neraph psychic warrior 6 would do it. Just go mounted with a lance. Use the Wild Cohort feat and pay for both retraining of feats and for the war beast template.

The higher level you get the better this one becomes, especially if you grab Psionic Open Chakra and Shape Soulmeld (Phase Cloak) (the latter of which you should give to your dire bat animal companion as well).

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11801.msg417846#msg417846
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
Half Orc Paragon gets Rage 1/day at level one, but can be lawful. Barbarians who stop being non-lawful do lose their rage iirc.

The Paladin of Freedom or Slaughter gets around this just fine.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »
"Hood" or "Dragoon" is a flexible concept.  For your purposes, it probably starts with WhirlPounce Barbarian1.  Just fit in Battle Jump and Cleave for superb damage and Up the Walls (like from a PsyWar level) for spiffy mobility.

You can take Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, and whatever other feats you want.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"