Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162143 times)

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #800 on: January 15, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
Q213:My DM keeps arguing that the Tarrasque can hit incorporeal due to its claws counting as epic for DR, can anyone cite a rule that disagrees.

A 213: Your DM has to provide a rule that states his point. Hitting incorporeal has nothing to with beating DR.
He continues said argument with the fact that hitting as epic counts as supernatural and thus hits(I have no idea where he gets that. I was just hoping someone could help me convince him

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #801 on: January 15, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
Q213:My DM keeps arguing that the Tarrasque can hit incorporeal due to its claws counting as epic for DR, can anyone cite a rule that disagrees.

A 213: Your DM has to provide a rule that states his point. Hitting incorporeal has nothing to with beating DR.
He continues said argument with the fact that hitting as epic counts as supernatural and thus hits(I have no idea where he gets that. I was just hoping someone could help me convince him

Your DM's on crack.

In order to hit incorporeal, a weapon must count as magic (or ghost touch, obviously). IF the Tarrasque's claws count as magic, then it CAN hit incorporeal (but it gets a 50% miss chance either way).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #802 on: January 15, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »

Your DM's on crack.

In order to hit incorporeal, a weapon must count as magic (or ghost touch, obviously). IF the Tarrasque's claws count as magic, then it CAN hit incorporeal (but it gets a 50% miss chance either way).

They would need to count as magic unqualified, IIRC.  Isn't one of the points against monk that ki strike counts as magic, qualified for purpose of overcoming damage reduction, which isn't the same thing as for purpose of hitting things that can only be hit with magic weapons?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #803 on: January 15, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »

Your DM's on crack.

They would need to count as magic unqualified, IIRC.  Isn't one of the points against monk that ki strike counts as magic, qualified for purpose of overcoming damage reduction, which isn't the same thing as for purpose of hitting things that can only be hit with magic weapons?

Right, good catch.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #804 on: January 15, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »
Yeah, "Epic for overcoming DR" is not "Epic".  The only corporeal monster in the MM that can hit an incorporeal foe with a natural attack is the Unicorn because its horn actually has an enhancement bonus.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #805 on: January 15, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
Q214

Anyone know where i can find a good monster(s) around CR6 to handle a group of 8-9 adventures?  I was thinking two hyrdras or something of that vein.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #806 on: January 15, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »
Q214

Anyone know where i can find a good monster(s) around CR6 to handle a group of 8-9 adventures?  I was thinking two hyrdras or something of that vein.
sharn?

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #807 on: January 15, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »

Your DM's on crack.

To convince him I can't use common sense, I have to find something relevant in the rules :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #808 on: January 15, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
Better way to put my question is:

Anyone know a monster or monsters around CR6 or higher to take on a group of 8-9 PC, most of whom are clerics?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #809 on: January 15, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
Better way to put my question is:

Anyone know a monster or monsters around CR6 or higher to take on a group of 8-9 PC, most of whom are clerics?
Adamantine horror? :smirk

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #810 on: January 15, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »

Your DM's on crack.

They would need to count as magic unqualified, IIRC.  Isn't one of the points against monk that ki strike counts as magic, qualified for purpose of overcoming damage reduction, which isn't the same thing as for purpose of hitting things that can only be hit with magic weapons?
To convince him I can't use common sense, I have to find something relevant in the rules :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
Don't try to convince him of anything, just ask for the page number with the rule he is using is on...you just wish to read it as you have never heard of it before.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #811 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »

Your DM's on crack.

Rules Compendium page 64 has all you need.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #812 on: January 15, 2011, 04:31:45 PM »

Rules Compendium page 64 has all you need.
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not seeing anything that could convince him

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #813 on: January 15, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
Show him this entry in the FAQ:

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #814 on: January 15, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
Thanks!

That is EXACTLY what I needed!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #815 on: January 15, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
Thanks!

Basically, this is yet another reason why monks and the tarrasque utterly fail.

Just one of many.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #816 on: January 15, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
Thanks!

Just one of many.
Just have to do what my DM did. Evolve it. Against incorporeal, just make it fiendish. That'll give it magic weapons.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #817 on: January 15, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
Thanks!

Just one of many.
Just have to do what my DM did. Evolve it. Against incorporeal, just make it fiendish. That'll give it magic weapons.
Ooh. A tarrasque that evolves every time it's 'killed' to be resistant to whatever killed it.

This could be...interesting.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #818 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »
Thanks!

Just one of many.
Ooh. A tarrasque that evolves every time it's 'killed' to be resistant to whatever killed it.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-682
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #819 on: January 15, 2011, 08:23:07 PM »
Thanks!

Just one of many.

Doomsday from Dc comics before they nerfbatted him into the oblivion......