Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161610 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #920 on: January 18, 2011, 06:54:41 AM »
Q248 Has a formula ever been made for WBL, including arbitrarily high levels (triple-digit+)? Nevermind.

Q248 Would it be possible to use, say, an Incantatrix's Metamagic Effect on an IotSV's Warding? The ability is (Su), but the veils themselves are equivalent to spells of a certain level. If this works, I can imagine some naughty-bad things to be done with this, like an invisible spell indigo veil wall.
A248
No.  on several levels:
- the Icanatrix's ability applies only to metamagic feats
- metamagic feats only apply to spells (there are feats for metamagic-type effects for SLA's, but those are separate from the metamagic feats themselves)
- Su abilities are completely different things than spells or SLA's -- just because it produces a magic-type effect (and thus, goes away in an AMF) does not make it a spell (and therefor, not subject to being effected by a metamagic feat)
 -- nor are they subject to meta-SLA feats.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #921 on: January 18, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »
Q 250 Other than Dragon 360, Fiendish Codex 1, and Book of Vile Darkness 3.0), are there any other 3.5 stats for Graz'zt? It seems he's taken a few jumps in his CR, and I was hoping for something in the middle.

So what cr are you looking for?
If you are looking for stronger than the one in fiendish codex(22) then you can use the rules in the same book to improve grazzt to whatever cr you want.....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:06:00 AM by betrayor »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #922 on: January 18, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »
A 250

The Miniatures Handbook has Aspects of various gods and archfiends at relatively low CRs (around 10), so maybe look there. I'm AFB right now, so I can't check if Graz'zt is in there.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #923 on: January 18, 2011, 07:13:26 AM »
A 250

The Miniatures Handbook has Aspects of various gods and archfiends at relatively low CRs (around 10), so maybe look there. I'm AFB right now, so I can't check if Graz'zt is in there.

There was also a web enchament for fiendish codex 1 which updates and adds aspects for the demonlords but unfortunately every demon lord is there except for graazt....

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #924 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:25 AM »
Q228[/u]: How can you get the Planar Ally line on a Wizard's list? I know of Arcane Disciple (Summoner), but the wisdom requirement is annoying.
* liberal interpretation of extra spell
* wyrm wizard from Dragon Magic
* recaster from Races of Eberron
Edit: Also, http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777.0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:30:20 AM by cru »

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #925 on: January 18, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »
Q228[/u]: How can you get the Planar Ally line on a Wizard's list? I know of Arcane Disciple (Summoner), but the wisdom requirement is annoying.
* liberal interpretation of extra spell
* wyrm wizard from Dragon Magic
* recaster from Races of Eberron
Edit: Also, http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777.0

Niice. Thanks alot. ;)
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #926 on: January 18, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
Q251 Could you get a DarkLight (secrets of sarlonna) 1 Manifester Arrow and 1 1pp Cognizance Crystal and combine them to power the darklight for control over light around you for a cost of 4300(500 Darklight+ 2800 1 Manifester arrow +1 + 1000 Cog Crystal 1).

Q252 With bracers of blast barrier if you used Power word: Pain to create the spell would the damage all go off at once IE instead of over rounds would it work out how many rounds it lasts then do 1d4-4d4 depending on HP rounds at 1d6 each and apply immediately?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:50:05 AM by stranglebat »

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #927 on: January 18, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
A252 Power word pain would deal 1d6/2 damage over 1d4 to 4d4 rounds; in addition, entanglement would deal 1 damage for 1d3 rounds

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #928 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »
Q 242 Would you trade a feat for 20 skill points? Limit 1 such feat.
Amy time I would take nymph's kiss but wouldn't be exalted.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #929 on: January 18, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Q 250 Other than Dragon 360, Fiendish Codex 1, and Book of Vile Darkness 3.0), are there any other 3.5 stats for Graz'zt? It seems he's taken a few jumps in his CR, and I was hoping for something in the middle.
Graz'zt is an archfiend.  He's an inappropriate encounter for a 4-man party of level 20 adventurers.  Just HOW inappropriate really doesn't matter at all.
Well considering at the end of Savage Tides you have to fight [spoiler]Demogorgon at CR 33[/spoiler]... :rollseyes

If you are looking for stronger than the one in fiendish codex(22) then you can use the rules in the same book to improve grazzt to whatever cr you want.....
Just something in the middle. Maybe 25-27. Don't want it in the 30s.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #930 on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
Graz'zt is an archfiend.  He's an inappropriate encounter for a 4-man party of level 20 adventurers.  Just HOW inappropriate really doesn't matter at all.
Well considering at the end of Savage Tides you have to fight [spoiler]Demogorgon at CR 33[/spoiler]... :rollseyes

I think then that your best option is Book of Vile Darkness Grazzt.....
He is cr 24 but you have to give him three extra feats because of the change of the edition....
With these 3 extra feats he should be in the range you want him......

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #931 on: January 18, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »

He is cr 24 but you have to give him three extra feats because of the change of the edition....
Didn't the change over from 3 to 3.5 make outsiders weaker though? Meaning that the Fiendish Codex 1 version is probably the same thing?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #932 on: January 18, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »

Didn't the change over from 3 to 3.5 make outsiders weaker though? Meaning that the Fiendish Codex 1 version is probably the same thing?
What changed aside from Damage Reduction?
If nothing else, you could always advance either by a few HD, maybe give him a template and handwave it.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #933 on: January 18, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »

No the opposite....
In 3.0 monsters(including outsiders) gained on feat per 4 hd,that changed in 3.5 and they gained feats like everyone else(1 feat per 3 hd)......
Even in fiendish codex it stated that the demonlords on it are slightly weaker than the same ones in Vile darkness.....
I think that if you take Grazzt from Vile darkness and give him the three feats that he needs(they could even be epic) then you would be set....

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #934 on: January 18, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »
No the opposite....
In 3.0 monsters(including outsiders) gained on feat per 4 hd,that changed in 3.5 and they gained feats like everyone else(1 feat per 3 hd)......
Even in fiendish codex it stated that the demonlords on it are slightly weaker than the same ones in Vile darkness.....
I think that if you take Grazzt from Vile darkness and give him the three feats that he needs(they could even be epic) then you would be set....
Alright. There's an unofficial 3.5 update for the book that I've got. They took a few of the feats from his CR 32 version on put it on here for the additional feats.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #935 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
Q253
if I use the Cloudy Conjuration feat when casting a summoning spell, can the cloud appear on/around the summoned creature, or does it end up having to appear around me (since there isn't an actual "target")?

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #936 on: January 18, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
What a sad sickened summon.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #937 on: January 18, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »
What a sad sickened summon.
Summon undead or constructs?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #938 on: January 18, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
" Any creature you call or summon with the spell is immune to the sickening effect of the cloud", so I'd say yes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #939 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
It specifically mentions summons are unaffected by it when they appear.

Ultraninja'd
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:45:15 PM by McPoyo »
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]