Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161611 times)

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #360 on: January 03, 2011, 11:33:34 AM »
Q107a: How does the Scarlet Corsairs Scourge of the Seas ability work with Imperious Command?

Q107b: Does it make the Cowering effect Cha Mod rounds?

A107: The answer looks to be yes. Scourge Of The Seas extends the effect of using Intimidate to demoralize without specifying a particular effect that it extends, and Imperious Command explicitly adds its effect to the demoralize action rather than adding a new action to the Intimidate skill. Bizarrely, it seems like it would affect both effects (the initial cowering and the next round's shaken) individually, so that your target is cowering but not shaken the round you intimidate him, cowering and shaken a number of rounds after that until he has been cowering for your Cha bonus in rounds, and then shaken but not cowering the round after that.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2011, 11:49:33 AM »
Q107a: How does the Scarlet Corsairs Scourge of the Seas ability work with Imperious Command?

Q107b: Does it make the Cowering effect Cha Mod rounds?

A107: The answer looks to be yes. Scourge Of The Seas extends the effect of using Intimidate to demoralize without specifying a particular effect that it extends, and Imperious Command explicitly adds its effect to the demoralize action rather than adding a new action to the Intimidate skill. Bizarrely, it seems like it would affect both effects (the initial cowering and the next round's shaken) individually, so that your target is cowering but not shaken the round you intimidate him, cowering and shaken a number of rounds after that until he has been cowering for your Cha bonus in rounds, and then shaken but not cowering the round after that.

A target that is cowering is ALSO considered to be shaken and panicked. The effects are not cumulative, but the conditions themselves are.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
A target that is cowering is ALSO considered to be shaken and panicked. The effects are not cumulative, but the conditions themselves are.

That is not true. You're thinking of shaken/frightened/panicked. Cowering is a separate condition entirely, although it is often associated with them.

The entire text of Cowering, from the SRD:
"The character is frozen in fear and can take no actions. A cowering character takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class and loses her Dexterity bonus (if any). "

This is in contrast to Shaken, Frightened, and Panicked, all of which have text referring to the other two as increasingly or decreasingly severe states of fear. The panicked state will inflict cowering if the creature is unable to flee, but cowering does not automatically imply any of the three fear states, much as (for example) the dying condition causes a creature to become unconscious but being unconscious does not automatically imply that you are dying.

This is a common misconception and leads to a lot of confused assumptions about how these states interact.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: January 03, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
I am totally pro and hit quote instead of modify.

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #364 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
Q105: What effect does the kraken mantle soulmeld have on creatures with a natural swim speed?
bump
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #365 on: January 03, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
Q111: What exactly is the fluff on Dark Knowledge?  (For example Dark Knowledge: Foe) Is it spell like? Is it supernatural? Is it extraordinary?  If it's extraordinary do I have to somehow communicate this knowledge to my allies?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #366 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »

That is not true. You're thinking of shaken/frightened/panicked. Cowering is a separate condition entirely, although it is often associated with them.

The entire text of Cowering, from the SRD:
"The character is frozen in fear and can take no actions. A cowering character takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class and loses her Dexterity bonus (if any). "

This is in contrast to Shaken, Frightened, and Panicked, all of which have text referring to the other two as increasingly or decreasingly severe states of fear. The panicked state will inflict cowering if the creature is unable to flee, but cowering does not automatically imply any of the three fear states, much as (for example) the dying condition causes a creature to become unconscious but being unconscious does not automatically imply that you are dying.

This is a common misconception and leads to a lot of confused assumptions about how these states interact.

So let me see if I get this straight. I have trouble breathing. Lung cancer makes you have trouble breathing. What you're saying is that you can have lung cancer and breathe just fine.

Notice that there is nothing in the description of panicked stating that you lose the panicked condition if you're unable to flee (thus going into the cowering condition). Nor does it say in the cowering condition that you're not panicked.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: January 03, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
So let me see if I get this straight. I have trouble breathing. Lung cancer makes you have trouble breathing. What you're saying is that you can have lung cancer and breathe just fine.

No, I'm saying you can have trouble breathing without it being caused by lung cancer. Cowering is a distinct condition which can be imposed by panicked but can also be imposed by other sources. For example, rebuking an undead causes it to cower without inflicting any of the three fear conditions. If you want to get nitpicky, mandating that Cowering is part of the fear condition scale would actually render undead immune to rebuking as, per the SRD, fear attacks are mind-affecting.

Notice that there is nothing in the description of panicked stating that you lose the panicked condition if you're unable to flee (thus going into the cowering condition). Nor does it say in the cowering condition that you're not panicked.

This is true, and when you are panicked and unable to flee you are both panicked and cowering, just as if you go unconscious as a result of being in the dying condition you are both unconscious and dying. The two states are distinct even though one, under the correct conditions, can induce the other. You receive the penalties of both states: -2 to AC and loss of actions from Cowering, and -2 to skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws along with dropping held items from Panicked.

A_Shadow_of_Life

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #368 on: January 03, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
For the purpose of my PC.. if they're cowering, that's good. 6 rounds of -2 AC and losing their dex to AC is.. 6 rounds of 4 attacks with +3d6 sneak attack.
:lovefirefox

[spoiler][/spoiler]

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: January 03, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
Q112  Is there any way to get a viable Sacred Fist (using the full progression interpretation) build using Archivist as the base class?  There is a LA allowance of +2 to play with if any templates can ease the requirements.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: January 04, 2011, 02:48:05 AM »
Q 113 I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, and it was no, but to double check, is there a PrC for a ToB/psionic character?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: January 04, 2011, 02:57:14 AM »
Q114
simple yes/no question basicly:
monk says:
Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.
does this restriction apply to prestige classes too?

(im pretty sure the answer is yes, but i want to be sure)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #372 on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:20 AM »
Q114
monk says:
Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.

Nope.  IIRC, the muticlass rules only apply to base classes, and prestige classes are excluded from multiclassing restrictions
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #373 on: January 04, 2011, 03:06:09 AM »
Q 113 I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, and it was no, but to double check, is there a PrC for a ToB/psionic character?

A113: No, but Jade Phoenix Mage is a common adaptation, albeit not a WotC-suggested one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: January 04, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »

A113: No, but Jade Phoenix Mage is a common adaptation, albeit not a WotC-suggested one.
Of course not. Wouldn't want your character to be useful or anything. Then again, they already stopped caring about 3.5 at that point anyways since 4th was on its way.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #375 on: January 04, 2011, 03:31:14 AM »

Of course not. Wouldn't want your character to be useful or anything. Then again, they already stopped caring about 3.5 at that point anyways since 4th was on its way.

Heh...granted.

Anyway, making your own homebrew PrC for a psionic/martial adept character isn't too difficult, either. Give it, say, medium BAB, d6 hit die, good Fort and Will saves, 4+Int skill points, and have each level increase the effective level of the base psionic class for powers known, ML, and PP, as well as the effective level of the base martial adept class for maneuvers known, readied, and stances known. In other words, use the idea behind the various dual progression PrCs like Mystic Theurge as a template.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: January 04, 2011, 03:44:24 AM »
q 115. anyone have a link to a handcrossbow build?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #377 on: January 04, 2011, 03:45:41 AM »
Q114
monk says:

Nope.  IIRC, the muticlass rules only apply to base classes, and prestige classes are excluded from multiclassing restrictions
Actually, it is.  PrCs are only exempted from Favored Class rules and XP penalties regarding said rules.  You'll note a number of classes like Tattooed Monk that explicitly allow a monk entering said class to continue advancing as a monk at any time.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #378 on: January 04, 2011, 04:40:39 AM »
Q116: What are some things I can do with smite (evil) besides, well, smiting? Waging peace and all that.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: January 04, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
Q117If I am a VoP Monk can my buddy wizard still give inherent bonuses to my abilities by using wishes?