Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161638 times)

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #660 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:23 AM »
Q 176: the ruses seem simple but the examples provided in books confuse me - when can and when can't you use cleave? (charging, full attack etc.)
Q 177: if you level up and take ranks in skill that is a class skill to one of your other classes (not the one you are levelling up at the moment), do you pay normal or double?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #661 on: January 11, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
Q 176: the ruses seem simple but the examples provided in books confuse me - when can and when can't you use cleave? (charging, full attack etc.)
Q 177: if you level up and take ranks in skill that is a class skill to one of your other classes (not the one you are levelling up at the moment), do you pay normal or double?

A 176: You can use cleave whenever you drop an opponent and you have another opponent within your threat range, period. (So if you're using a polearm and you drop an opponent, you can attack another opponent within 10 feet of you, but not one at 5 feet; if you then drop THAT one and have Great Cleave, you can attack yet another opponent within 10 feet).

A 177: You pay double. However, any skill that has been a class skill at some point has its cap maxed (so a Wizard 1/Fighter 19 can have 23 ranks in Spellcraft, for example, but he has to pay double for each rank as long as he's using Fighter skill points to buy them).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:23:43 AM by Kuroimaken »
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #662 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
Q178: Say I start to manifest a power that takes 1 round to manifest. Before my next turn circumstances change which would make manifesting the power pointless or even harmful (e.g. the enemy teleports away). Can I elect to stop manifesting the power so that its effect never comes into being, and, if so, do I retain the power points I would have spent to manifest the power?

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #663 on: January 11, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

A 176: You can use cleave whenever you drop an opponent and you have another opponent within your threat range, period. (So if you're using a polearm and you drop an opponent, you can attack another opponent within 10 feet of you, but not one at 5 feet; if you then drop THAT one and have Great Cleave, you can attack yet another opponent within 10 feet).

A 177: You pay double. However, any skill that has been a class skill at some point has its cap maxed (so a Wizard 1/Fighter 19 can have 23 ranks in Spellcraft, for example, but he has to pay double for each rank as long as he's using Fighter skill points to buy them).

Able learner feat from Races of Destiny lets you use 1 skill point per rank even for cross class skills.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #664 on: January 11, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »
Q178: Say I start to manifest a power that takes 1 round to manifest. Before my next turn circumstances change which would make manifesting the power pointless or even harmful (e.g. the enemy teleports away). Can I elect to stop manifesting the power so that its effect never comes into being, and, if so, do I retain the power points I would have spent to manifest the power?
Yes to both. You may cease concentration as a free action and you only pay pp when you actually manifest a power.

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #665 on: January 11, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
q 183. where is the link to jaronK's cleric build that could shoot the arrows over a mile thru the ground and what not.
How the hell do you shoot through the ground?!?!!
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #666 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
q 183. where is the link to jaronK's cleric build that could shoot the arrows over a mile thru the ground and what not.
How the hell do you shoot through the ground?!?!!
Without looking, probably brilliant energy.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #667 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Yes to both. You may cease concentration as a free action and you only pay pp when you actually manifest a power.

Thanks!

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
Q174:How can I get martial weapon profficiency as a druid? (or at least proficient: Great club) Club must remain non-magical.

Feat?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #669 on: January 11, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
A174:  Be an [Outsider] for free martial weapon proficiency.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #670 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Neraphim are a 0 LA outsider out of the box.  Planar handbook.
Otherwise, use the lesser version of aasimar/tieflings obtained by using the savage progressions and never advancing your racial powers.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:57:38 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #671 on: January 11, 2011, 05:32:02 PM »
Q179:When is a monster able to take epic feats?
For a Player Character is pretty clear.....
But for a monster it is less clear....
I thought that you only had to have over 21 hit dice,but draconomicon states that a true dragon can take epic feats after he gets to the old category.....
Does this mean that a mature adult red dragon which haves more than 21 hit dice can not take epic feats?
What about other creatures(non-dragons),when do they became eligible to take epic feats?

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #672 on: January 11, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
Q185: Wasn't there a spell that increased the armor check penalty of an armor by 1 but also the ac bonus by 1?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #673 on: January 11, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »
Q179:When is a monster able to take epic feats?
For a Player Character is pretty clear.....
But for a monster it is less clear....
I thought that you only had to have over 21 hit dice,but draconomicon states that a true dragon can take epic feats after he gets to the old category.....
Does this mean that a mature adult red dragon which haves more than 21 hit dice can not take epic feats?
What about other creatures(non-dragons),when do they became eligible to take epic feats?
A179
@ 21 HD.

please don't go down the the road of that draconomicon paragraph here -- there's already 2 other threads that have argued that one to death.
just note the 21 HD, nod, and move on. ;)  (as this is the simple answer thread)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #674 on: January 11, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
Q185: Wasn't there a spell that increased the armor check penalty of an armor by 1 but also the ac bonus by 1?

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #675 on: January 11, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »

Much appreciated Maat_Mons
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #676 on: January 11, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »
Q186

Sjappo

• Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #677 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
Q187
Does a spontaneous divine caster cast of CHA or WIS? And where did you find that. I seem to remember reading somewhere that he casts of CHA but I cannot find it. UA does not mention if it's WIS or CHA. Unless I'm going blind.

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #678 on: January 11, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
A187
depends on your class

fav soul gets its DC from wis and spells/day from cha
spirit shaman gets its DC from cha and spells/day from wis

its all stated in the game rule information part and ofc in the spells section

Sjappo

• Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #679 on: January 11, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »
A187
depends on your class

fav soul gets its DC from wis and spells/day from cha
spirit shaman gets its DC from cha and spells/day from wis

its all stated in the game rule information part and ofc in the spells section
Thanx. Still not sure how the UA variant works btw. Since nothing is mentioned I figure WIS. But it states a definite amount of spells known and spells per day. So WIS only defines DC, which is less important for a DMM-persist melee cleric. And Fav Soul loses turning. Anyway, thanx.