Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161967 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #680 on: January 11, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
q188 Does a human with Otherwordly die of old age?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #681 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
q188 Does a human with Otherwordly die of old age?

The Outsider type never specifically calls out on the whole death by old age thing. It just so happens that most Outsiders don't.

There isn't a definitive answer on that. But if we extrapolate from Dragonwrought Kobolds, who not only die from old age, they do so only by a certain margin more than regular Kobolds, the answer is probably yes.

DWKs are Dragons, however, not Outsiders. So it's up in the air.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #682 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
Races of Destiny has aging charts for Aasimars & Tieflings, giving them a max age of 90+3d20.  Planar Handbook has a similar chart, including Neraphim and whatnot.  So if they can all die of old age, safe to assume Otherworldy will as well.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #683 on: January 11, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
Q190: Could I use sculpt spell to cast, say, a prismatic sphere (assume incantatrix shenanigans and/or venerable dragonwrought loredrake sorcerer with Improved Spell Capacity at level 15/16) as four 10' cubes and trap people? Or does the "An area of effect spell..." line under Sculpt Spell mean that it can only apply to spells with the Area: line?

Assuming the above is yes, the first two examples work, and the latter two can't be sculpted (even though it makes sense that they should be sculptable):

[spoiler]Lightning Bolt
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Mage's Disjunction
Abjuration
Level: Magic 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: All magical effects and magic items within a 40-ft.-radius burst
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No

Incendiary Cloud
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Fire 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Cloud spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text

Confusion
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4, Trickery 4
Components: V, S, M/DF
Targets: All creatures in a 15-ft. radius burst
Saving Throw: Will negates
[/spoiler]

If no, am I looking for anything that says something like burst, radius, spread, line, etc.?

E.g., each of these would work with Sculpt Spell, if the last line is true:

[spoiler]Lightning Bolt
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Saving Throw: Reflex half

Mage's Disjunction
Abjuration
Level: Magic 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: All magical effects and magic items within a 40-ft.-radius burst
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)

Incendiary Cloud
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Fire 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Effect: Cloud spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text

Confusion
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4, Trickery 4
Components: V, S, M/DF
Targets: All creatures in a 15-ft. radius burst
Saving Throw: Will negates
[/spoiler]

Sorry, this wasn't exactly a "quick question;" I just wanted to know if I could smack the BBEG (an immortal fey) with a targeted prismatic sphere, permanency that bitch, and laugh at the poor fairy prince until my character dies of old age. :evillaugh
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Clefable

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #684 on: January 11, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Q191:
The feat Driving attack from PHB2 says that I can do a special bullrush where: "This bull rush uses your total bonus on damage rolls
in place of your Strength modifier." Does this bonus include stuff like sneak attack, sneak attack bonus from craven, Int to damage bonus from insightful strike and other such bonuses from a variety of class abilities and non-fighter feats?

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #685 on: January 12, 2011, 12:05:43 AM »
A191:
RAW: Sneak attacks, probably not, since they aren't a flat bonus. But others (favored enemy) would, I believe.

RAI: Doubtful, but personally I'd allow it. If you can bull rush with a spear AND sneak attack with it simultaneously, your halfling deserves to knock that storm giant on his ass. :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:09:12 AM by BrokeAndDrive »
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #686 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10:32 AM »
RAW yes. Its unquestioningly bonus damage.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #687 on: January 12, 2011, 02:15:18 AM »
Q184:
Is there any way to overcome the -20 to hide checks when attacking someone? Assuming one has hide in plain sight or bluff, does this -20 end when your attack is over and you make a move?
I don't remember if it's a racial sub-level or the Whisperknife PrC, but there's something in Races of the Wild that cuts the penalty to 10.  As for the penalty, I believe Sniping actually works as a full-round action, so there is no means by which you can re-hide after a failed hide check that round.

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #688 on: January 12, 2011, 04:52:10 AM »
A190: no, yes. Prismatic Sphere is not an area spell, so you can't sculpt it. The area-line is needed for the sculpt spell to work.

Lightning Bolt, sculptable
Mage's Disjunction, sculptable

Incendiary Cloud, not sculptable
Confusion, not sculptable

Regarding those four 10-foot cubes, your DM may decide that those cubes must be adjacent to each other. And you are still limited byt the range-line.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #689 on: January 12, 2011, 05:48:14 AM »
Q 192 I lost the answer for a question I got a long while back. What's the dragon issue that had the half-drow/half-shadow dragon in it? The main difference was it could fly at Medium size, and its breath weapon was more powerful, dealing 1d2 negative levels, and the breath weapon is Reflex base.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #690 on: January 12, 2011, 05:52:16 AM »
Q 192 I lost the answer for a question I got a long while back. What's the dragon issue that had the half-drow/half-shadow dragon in it? The main difference was it could fly at Medium size, and its breath weapon was more powerful, dealing 1d2 negative levels, and the breath weapon is Reflex base.
There's one in dragons of Faerun, but that's exactly the same as a shadow dragon statwise (except for "polymorph into drow" a few times a day).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #691 on: January 12, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
Q193: I know that enhancement bonuses on chahar-aina, dastana, and foundation armor don't stack, but what about the reinforced armor modification from Dragon magazine 358, page 42? 

Armor with this item quality increases its armor bonus by +1, but weighs 10% more (minimum 2 pounds).

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #692 on: January 12, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
A192
#322, p.81 (p.60 of the pdf)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #693 on: January 12, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
BUMP
Q151 How does the Sha'ir's casting mechanic (Dragon Compendium, p55) interact with feats that add spells known to its list?

Also:
Q193: What are the lowest level spells to allow planar travel?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #694 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
Q194: I've noticed that a number of spells and powers (such as lightning bolt and energy bolt) have both ranges and areas, when they really shouldn't. A.) Can I assume that this means you have to both Widen and Enlarge such a spell to get any use out of either feat, and B.) Where did WotC have their heads when they were writing these abilities?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #695 on: January 12, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
Also:
Q193: What are the lowest level spells to allow planar travel?
Far as I know, THE lowest is astral caravan from the XPH. It's not a spell, though; it's a 3rd level power. Unless you're talking about instantaneous teleportation through the astral?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
Q 194 I can't seem to find it, but do Bloodlines have a CR increase? Like a major bloodline being +1 CR or something? I see it increases ECL, but that's about it. I'm guessing this is meant more for PCs than NPCs.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #697 on: January 12, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
Q 194 I can't seem to find it, but do Bloodlines have a CR increase? Like a major bloodline being +1 CR or something? I see it increases ECL, but that's about it. I'm guessing this is meant more for PCs than NPCs.
Treat it like a class level.  Just about everything does.  Associated = +1, Non-Associated = +1/2.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #698 on: January 12, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »
Treat it like a class level.  Just about everything does.  Associated = +1, Non-Associated = +1/2.
I can accept that.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #699 on: January 12, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
I can accept that.
Can't say I know of an official way to do it, but that seems the most plausible. Adjudicating associated or not might be difficult, though - maybe treat it as associated if the NPC in question uses character level abuse? :P
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation