Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 161908 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #700 on: January 12, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »
Can't say I know of an official way to do it, but that seems the most plausible. Adjudicating associated or not might be difficult, though - maybe treat it as associated if the NPC in question uses character level abuse? :P
Meaning like he's got like 5 levels of associated, and 26 levels of non-assocated for a total of a CR 19? Then with the major bloodline he's a CR 22?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #701 on: January 12, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
Q195: Anyone know any feats for a Gish using throwing weapons?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #702 on: January 12, 2011, 05:42:48 PM »
Q196So I was looking through the Draconomicon and something struck me as very odd.....
The Ethereal's dragon fly speed is very low especially in later stages of its evolution.....
It has only a 30 ft flying speed in great wyrm stage whlie most of the others have at least 150 ft.....
Do you think that it was a mistake or is it one of the qualities that make Ethereal Dragon the Weakest True Dragon by cr(Steel Dragon not withstanding)....

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »
Q196So I was looking through the Draconomicon and something struck me as very odd.....
The Ethereal's dragon fly speed is very low especially in later stages of its evolution.....
It has only a 30 ft flying speed in great wyrm stage whlie most of the others have at least 150 ft.....
Do you think that it was a mistake or is it one of the qualities that make Ethereal Dragon the Weakest True Dragon by cr(Steel Dragon not withstanding)....

This is because it lives on the ethereal plane where this is less of an issue.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #704 on: January 12, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
Q 197: How does positive and negative energy affect objects? Does negative energy damage get reduced like certain other energy types, or does it not apply at all?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #705 on: January 12, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Q195: Anyone know any feats for a Gish using throwing weapons?
A195:

Exotic Weapon(Talenta Boomerang)
Quickdraw
Boomerang Ricochet
Boomerang Daze
Hurling Charge

charge .... throw Boomerang ... daze Charge Target and additional target ... attack Charge Target with big two handed weapon with Trip Attack

:D

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #706 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:12 PM »
Q196: There a way to legally give an undead the Create Spawn ability? More specifically, is there a way to do so without raising the ECL? If there is a way that involves raising the ECL, than that would be OK too.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #707 on: January 12, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Q197 Does a familiar get any skill points as its master levels up? If not, how can it get some? Can you teach a snake familiar to track by scent?

Q198 How do dragons get spells/feats? Do they take class levels or just learn spells to the level allowed by their mental stats?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #708 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
Q197 Does a familiar get any skill points as its master levels up? If not, how can it get some? Can you teach a snake familiar to track by scent?
Familiars have the skill ranks of their masters, plus skill ranks based on racial hit dice.

If you retrain a familiar's feats, there's always the Open Minded feat, which grants +5 skill points.

Q198 How do dragons get spells/feats? Do they take class levels or just learn spells to the level allowed by their mental stats?
Dragons gain them based on racial hit dice. Most dragons have racial spellcasting arbitrarily assigned (they can cast from both the sorcerer and the cleric list).

Psionic dragons manifest, of course.

And if a dragon has class levels, it can cast using those, too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:37:56 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

braininthejar

« Reply #709 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »
Familiars have the skill ranks of their masters, plus skill ranks based on racial hit dice.

If you retrain a familiar's feats, there's always the Open Minded feat, which grants +5 skill points.

So this is as far as we can go with separate skills? there are many skills that would be very useful for the familiar but rather useless for the master. Oh well.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #710 on: January 12, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
Q 199: When reading through threads I found on the search feature, I found mention, but no elaboration, on trickery to get 9th level discipline powers/arcane spells on a spell-to-power erudite pre-epic. How exactly would this be done?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #711 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:12 PM »

So this is as far as we can go with separate skills? there are many skills that would be very useful for the familiar but rather useless for the master. Oh well.
Well, note that your familiar can aid another to give a +2 bonus on everything.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

braininthejar

« Reply #712 on: January 12, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »
Q200 Where can I find a list of status effects and what they do? most of my splatbooks is in English but the cores are in Polish and I have problems finding which are which.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #713 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
Q200 Where can I find a list of status effects and what they do? most of my splatbooks is in English but the cores are in Polish and I have problems finding which are which.
http://www.d20srd.org/ should cover it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #714 on: January 13, 2011, 02:08:33 AM »
Q 201 I don't have any large ape minis, but I did have a girallon one to represent a fellow player's ape form for his Totem Druid. He likes the look of it, and was wondering if there was some way to wildshape into the large ape form, with four arms?

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #715 on: January 13, 2011, 02:30:45 AM »
A201 You could always homebrew him one. E.g.,

Four-Armed Dire Ape
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 7d8+13 (35 hp) [Multi-Headed increases HD by 2, so adding two arms likely does the same]
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 15 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14 [+1 NA for being a slightly tougher AKA higher-HD'd ape; plain animal racial HD doesn't give much so you might as well throw them a bone or two]
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
Attack: Claw +10 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 4 claws +10 melee (1d6+6) and bite +4 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rend 2d6+9
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7 [animals and other unintelligent beasts should get about 1 bonus ability score per HD as well as the normal ability score bonuses every 4 HD. If you disagree, lower this guy's Str and Dex by 1 each.]
Skills: Climb +14, Listen +6, Move Silently +5, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness, Toughness, Weapon Focus (claw) [For fun, change two of his feats to Power Attack and Leap Attack, but that'd definitely be worth an extra CR or 2]
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary or company (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 4 [CR +1 from normal, an extra 19 damage on a full attack but he's still a plain old brute so making him CR 5 or 6 is just asking to be the wizard's bitch even moreso than normal, plus he's not as dangerous as a manticore or a troll, but he could be about as scary as fighting a minotaur or owlbear]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:34:13 AM by BrokeAndDrive »
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #716 on: January 13, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
Sorry, no homebrewing allowed. It's either in the book mechanics, or not. The DM is against homebrewing completely.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #717 on: January 13, 2011, 02:37:39 AM »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #718 on: January 13, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »
Material Plane so we'll have to look into that when he gets high enough to try it.
But that's a nice find, spell wise. I'll forward that information to him. Thanks.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #719 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:19 AM »
Q202

Is there a way to change a spiked chain's damage type to bludgeoning?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress