Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162132 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #540 on: January 07, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »
Q 156  I'm playing in a level 15 gestalt game where we're all members of the Watch.  Yes, it's a town where the Watch needs that kind of power.  I want to do Cloistered Cleric/Inquisitor on one side, probably mingled with Ordained Champion on the other side so that I wind up with full casting.  What should I use to fill up the other 13 levels on the second track?  I've never used something from Tome of Battle, so perhaps something from there?

Crusader is my personal favorite ToB class but most here like the others more.

Besides that, thats a forgotten realms game set in waterdeep isn't it?

Zebu

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #541 on: January 07, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »
Q 156  I'm playing in a level 15 gestalt game where we're all members of the Watch.  Yes, it's a town where the Watch needs that kind of power.  I want to do Cloistered Cleric/Inquisitor on one side, probably mingled with Ordained Champion on the other side so that I wind up with full casting.  What should I use to fill up the other 13 levels on the second track?  I've never used something from Tome of Battle, so perhaps something from there?

Yes, why?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: January 07, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »

Yes, why?

No reason, I can just tell.

Yes, I am that good.
 :evillaugh

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #543 on: January 07, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
Well, yeah.  There aren't that many high level town guards, and sigil only takes epic characters.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #544 on: January 07, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »
It could have been eberron: Io'Lokar, City of Knowledge

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: January 07, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »
Q157: A pair of questions.
A)B)domino rush maneuver?

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #546 on: January 07, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
A157a:  Yes, so long as you are power attacking.
A157b:  Should work for Knock Down, though arguing you still get the follow up attack might make your DM a little grump.  Domino Rush is a little harder to visualize, but RAW I suppose it works.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #547 on: January 07, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »
A157a:  Yes, so long as you are power attacking.
A157b:  Should work for Knock Down, though arguing you still get the follow up attack might make your DM a little grump.  Domino Rush is a little harder to visualize, but RAW I suppose it works.

Eh, if you're talking Improved Trip, that's fine. It's perfectly reasonable to envision the weapon slicing at the legs then slashing at the shoulder/torso/head/etc. on the return path.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #548 on: January 07, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Q157: A pair of questions.
A)B)domino rush maneuver?
Sounds like you're going for a build that I'm playing with my tabletop group.  It's a ton of fun to play (now I just wish my DM had a better idea of what "wealth by level" meant).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #549 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
Q 158 What and where is the feat that enables you to make a coup-de-grace as a standard action?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:19 PM »
Q 158 What and where is the feat that enables you to make a coup-de-grace as a standard action?

Deathblow, Complete Adventurer.

Took 5 seconds to google.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: January 07, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »

Deathblow, Complete Adventurer.

Took 5 seconds to google.
Also available as materia.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #552 on: January 07, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
Has there been any information compiled anywhere about the optimization of the Sling?
Bump.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #553 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »
Q 159: Does the Sickening Grasp reserve feat apply to any touch attack? Suppose, for example, that a Dread Necromancer has cast Chill Touch and is holding the charge, then uses his Charnel Touch on an enemy. Does the target take 1d8+1d6 negative energy damage, make a fortitude save against 1 strength damage and become sickened for a round (or more, depending on another fortitude save and spells available)?

On that note, any handbooks or resources that go into detail about stacking or otherwise optimising touch attacks?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #554 on: January 08, 2011, 12:30:31 AM »
Sickening Grasp is a ride-along effect, so yes, it works.  You could even just touch the guy w/o any other effects and he'd be sickened.

That said, this requires melee, and DNs don't like melee.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #555 on: January 08, 2011, 12:54:41 AM »
Sickening Grasp is a ride-along effect, so yes, it works.  You could even just touch the guy w/o any other effects and he'd be sickened.

That said, this requires melee, and DNs don't like melee.

I actually find DNs to be about as tough as the BSF most of the time... DR helps a lot at lower levels.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #556 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »
 Dragonblood spell-pact (dragons of faerun 115, sorc only 5th level transmutation) seems really great.  It lets you switch spells of the same level between dragonblood or dragon casters for some xp.

Does the following work?

Step 1) Trade dragonblood spell-pact to a factotum15 from your sorcerer (to avoid xp costs).
Step 2) Shuffle around your spell lists like mad!  Give a dread necromancer a healer's cure spells!  Give the healer polymorph!  Give the archivist list envy!  The sky's the limit!
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: January 08, 2011, 05:10:04 AM »
I'll bump as well..

Q135: Can you use the feat Arcane Strike inside an anti-magic field?

I ask because while it uses spell slots and says "channel arcane energy" it is not specifically defined as a "magical effect" and feats are extraordinary abilities. Also the damage is untyped, so it isn't necessarily a magic different from that which animates golems and such.

I suspect the answer is "no" and would be comfortable with that answer, but I have been surprised by official rulings before. Sadly my google search yielded no official rulings, and I was hoping that if there was one someone here might remember it.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: January 08, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
Q160: If i take the feat [Shape Soulmeld] from [Magic of Incarnum, page 40], can i choose any soulmeld from that book? And if say i took the soulmeld [Blink Shirt, page 60], what would i get from it? Would i be able to use the abilities noted under {Heart}, or would i need a class to bind it to a chakra?
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #559 on: January 08, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »
Q160: If i take the feat [Shape Soulmeld] from [Magic of Incarnum, page 40], can i choose any soulmeld from that book? And if say i took the soulmeld [Blink Shirt, page 60], what would i get from it? Would i be able to use the abilities noted under {Heart}, or would i need a class to bind it to a chakra?
You can pick any souldmeld (wether it's from that book or not, just beware that those in Dragon Magic have additional prerequisites).  With just this, you only get the base ability of the soulmeld (so for Blink Shirt, it would be standard action teleportation).  If you can bind soulmelds to chakras (you have the appropriate class levels, took the appropriate Open Chakra feat, or are an Incarnum Dragon (only race I can think of with meldshaping ability)), then you can bind the soulmeld to the proper chakra and get those extra benefits.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.