Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162137 times)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #860 on: January 16, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »
Q 220: Can anyone name any other permanent (or accessable to a level 3 wizard) ways to increase the size of my familiar other than enlarge person(shared) 

I want to ride into battle on a Colossal hummingbird...
How big is a Hummingbird, Tiny? If it's Enlarged and your Reduced and your base size was small you should be able to ride it. Otherwise? Try to get an item of Expansion? That gives it two size categories. You should share Alter Self with it but that ruins the point I think.

Diminutive unfortunately... and I'm human. Maybe there arent as many size enhancers as I thought there were.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #861 on: January 16, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
Try AEG and Masters of the Wild.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #862 on: January 16, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »
Had a browse, masters of the wild has something on advancing your animal companions HD but that seems like it...

Wierd thing is even if i did manage to get the hummingbid to colossal it has no attack at all...

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #863 on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »
Had a browse, masters of the wild has something on advancing your animal companions HD but that seems like it...

Wierd thing is even if i did manage to get the hummingbid to colossal it has no attack at all...

Hippogriff + methamphetamine + lance + hot glue gun + half an hour of work.  Call it a hummingbird and let it impale anyone who argues.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #864 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
Q: The rules for turning say: If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn.

How to interpret it? I mean do I destroy any undead that is half my level or less or do I need to be twice the level of the whole group combined?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #865 on: January 16, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Q: The rules for turning say: If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn.

How to interpret it? I mean do I destroy any undead that is half my level or less or do I need to be twice the level of the whole group combined?

Your effective cleric level for purposes of turning (which will usually be your actual class level in cleric, but can be much different depending on which class(es) and other resources you actually use) must be at least 2x the effective HD (that is, actual HD plus Turn Resistance) of any individual undead to destroy that individual.

braininthejar

« Reply #866 on: January 16, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »
Thanks. Next question.

Can archmage high arcana be substituted for matching metamagic feats for the purpose of meeting feat requirements?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #867 on: January 16, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Thanks. Next question.

Can archmage high arcana be substituted for matching metamagic feats for the purpose of meeting feat requirements?

No.  Requirements are met by having whatever is required, having something that is treated as whatever is required, or having an explicit exception.  Merely having an ability that works identically or similarly to what you actually need isn't good enough.

braininthejar

« Reply #868 on: January 16, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
Next: Is there any way to get a Walker In The Waste on Toril? (besides shipping one from another world?)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #869 on: January 16, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »
Next: Is there any way to get a Walker In The Waste on Toril? (besides shipping one from another world?)

Walker in the Waste is not campaign specific....
there isn't any reason why you can not make one for a Realms game......

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #870 on: January 16, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
Q224
What happened to numbering the questions? ;)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #871 on: January 16, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »
Q221

A221:I think that an Epic spell was cast that made everyone forgot how to number the questions.....
Damn these High Elves Mages.....

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #872 on: January 16, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »
Q224

A224:I think that an Epic spell was cast that made everyone forgot how to number the questions.....
Damn these High Elves Mages.....
those sons-of-bitches. :shakefist

oh, and I re-numbered to account for all the un-numbered ones. :)

Thanks.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

braininthejar

« Reply #873 on: January 16, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »

Yes. but can you match the requirements on Toril (thirst domain? The question might be silly but its 3AM ...)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #874 on: January 16, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »

Yes. but can you match the requirements on Toril (thirst domain? The question might be silly but its 3AM ...)

Just port Azul to the Realms,really even in Sandstorm it is described that It can be a pat of Faerun......

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #875 on: January 17, 2011, 01:09:04 AM »
As I read it, you just need to be able to cast spells that are in those domains, not have access to the domains.  Any 5th level cleric can cast black sand, desiccate, and haboob, so you should be covered. 

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #876 on: January 17, 2011, 02:43:43 AM »
Q226

Accounting for an unnumbered question, is an ability that grants immunity to effects with an alignment descriptor significantly more powerful than an ability that grants immunity to fear (ignoring the fact that immunity to fear is stupidly easy to get; I'm looking at utility gain, not opportunity cost)? I suspect it is, but what if a houserule were introduced that stripped all effects of alignment descriptors if they don't actually interact with different alignments differently? I think there are a lot of spells that arbitrarily got the Evil descriptor because the designers thought symbol of pain was evulll but not that ripping your foe's soul out through his face with energy drain was (to clarify, I don't think either necessarily is).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #877 on: January 17, 2011, 03:47:24 AM »
People realized it was pointless because we quote the questions anyway?
Accounting for an unnumbered question, is an ability that grants immunity to effects with an alignment descriptor significantly more powerful than an ability that grants immunity to fear (ignoring the fact that immunity to fear is stupidly easy to get; I'm looking at utility gain, not opportunity cost)? I suspect it is, but what if a houserule were introduced that stripped all effects of alignment descriptors if they don't actually interact with different alignments differently? I think there are a lot of spells that arbitrarily got the Evil descriptor because the designers thought symbol of pain was evulll but not that ripping your foe's soul out through his face with energy drain was (to clarify, I don't think either necessarily is).
Well, you can ignore stuff like holy word.  I don't think there are any fear-based "no save, just die" spells.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #878 on: January 17, 2011, 05:52:32 AM »
Q227: What's a good heavy armor or armor material for a deflective armor character? Mithral disqualifies the feat and DR is way not worth it
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:27:51 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #879 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:02 AM »
Q227: What's a good heavy armor or armor material for a deflective armor character? Mithral disqualifies the feat and DR is way not worth it
Mithral Mountain Plate from Races of Stone.  On this kind of character it would be +11 AC and -5 ACP.  I'm sure there are other mods that reduce that ACP even further such that you can eat the non-proficiency penalties without problem.