Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162137 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #380 on: January 04, 2011, 05:28:12 AM »
Q114
simple yes/no question basicly:
monk says:
Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.
does this restriction apply to prestige classes too?

(im pretty sure the answer is yes, but i want to be sure)
Nope.  IIRC, the muticlass rules only apply to base classes, and prestige classes are excluded from multiclassing restrictions
Actually, it is.  PrCs are only exempted from Favored Class rules and XP penalties regarding said rules.  You'll note a number of classes like Tattooed Monk that explicitly allow a monk entering said class to continue advancing as a monk at any time.
Whatever.  I haven't paid any attention to those ever since the designers flat out said "we only included this because the playtesters thought it would be good flavor".

Of course, at that point I was playing 3.0, and thought the fact that a monk could stack vorpal + crit ranges additions+ crit abilities until he auto-decapitated on a 13+ meant the class itself was unbalanced.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:30:37 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #381 on: January 04, 2011, 05:59:50 AM »
A117Yes, but if VoP gives inherent bonuses, the two sources will overlap

Page Bump

Q116: What are some things I can do with smite (evil) besides, well, smiting? Waging peace and all that.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: January 04, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »
Anyway, making your own homebrew PrC for a psionic/martial adept character isn't too difficult, either. Give it, say, medium BAB, d6 hit die, good Fort and Will saves, 4+Int skill points, and have each level increase the effective level of the base psionic class for powers known, ML, and PP, as well as the effective level of the base martial adept class for maneuvers known, readied, and stances known. In other words, use the idea behind the various dual progression PrCs like Mystic Theurge as a template.
You say this like I'm capable of such a feat, or like I'm the DM or something. I'm not. Homebrew isn't allow in any group I'm a part of.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: January 04, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
Q118
Holt Warden from Complete Champion says:

Plant Affinity (Ex): You are magically attuned to plants. If you prepare your spells in advance and do not have the spontaneous casting ability (as the cleric and druid spellcasting feature, see PH 32 and 35), you can now spontaneously trade prepared spells for spells of an equal or lower level from the Plant domain.
If you do have a spontaneous casting ability, you can exchange that one for the ability to cast spontaneously from the Plant domain. Once you make that decision, it cannot be reversed.

pretty clear

If you do not already have bonus domain spells, you now gain bonus spells from the Plant domain (see the cleric spellcasting feature, PH 32) as if you were a cleric with access to that domain. If you already have domain spells, they are unaffected by this power.
on this part comes the question: lets say i am a spirit shaman 10/holt warden 10, does this mean i get 1 spell per day more (beeing a domain slot and thus adding a +1 behind the druids spell-table, making it the same as the clerics)? and in addition i can spontaneous cast the plant domain spells too?

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #384 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
Anyway, making your own homebrew PrC for a psionic/martial adept character isn't too difficult, either. Give it, say, medium BAB, d6 hit die, good Fort and Will saves, 4+Int skill points, and have each level increase the effective level of the base psionic class for powers known, ML, and PP, as well as the effective level of the base martial adept class for maneuvers known, readied, and stances known. In other words, use the idea behind the various dual progression PrCs like Mystic Theurge as a template.
You say this like I'm capable of such a feat, or like I'm the DM or something. I'm not. Homebrew isn't allow in any group I'm a part of.

Well, nevermind my suggestion, then. :-)

symisin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: January 04, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
Q118 is there a way to make your unarmed strike count as a two handed weapon?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #386 on: January 04, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
A118: I believe the feat Hammer Fist does this.  Sandstorm, if memory serves.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

symisin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: January 04, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
A118: I believe the feat Hammer Fist does this.  Sandstorm, if memory serves.

its in races of faerun. the down side is that you have to be a dwarf.  other than that would you gain the benefits of power attack using your unarmed strike as a two handed weapon with this feat?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:08:14 PM by symisin »

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #388 on: January 04, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
Q120: Assuming that a troglodyte has been energy drained (1 negative level) by a wight and that it has failed its saving throw. So one racial HD is gone. Could you use that kind of troglodyte as a player character race? Is it ok rules wise, cheesy or a house rule?

Troglodyte has +2 LA, +2d8 HD, +1 BAB, +6 natural armor, Multiattack(B), Weapon Focus(javelin), etc.

Q121: Could you treat that kind of troglodyte as a 1HD monster and take class levels instead of the monstrous HD (Savages Species p.13)?

Q122: If the answer is yes for Q121 then what benefits would you get? Would you gain these: +2 LA, +6 nat armor, special attacks/qualities, natural attacks and racial skill bonuses? Would you get both of those 2 feats (Multiattack(B), Weapon Focus(javelin))?

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: January 04, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
q 115. anyone have a link to a handcrossbow build?

bump.
i remember one floating around here... anyone have a link saved?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #390 on: January 04, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
q 115. anyone have a link to a handcrossbow build?

bump.
i remember one floating around here... anyone have a link saved?

A155?: Was it this one?

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #391 on: January 04, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »

its in races of faerun. the down side is that you have to be a dwarf.  other than that would you gain the benefits of power attack using your unarmed strike as a two handed weapon with this feat?

A: Hammer Fist gives you two-handed strike (unarmed, 1.5 str mod to damage, must use both hands). So you wield your fists as a two handed weapon (unarmed strike is a light weapon). Thus, you gain the power attack benefits for two handed weapons; also unarmed strike is specifically stated to deal the damage bonus.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #392 on: January 04, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »
Q120: Assuming that a troglodyte has been energy drained (1 negative level) by a wight and that it has failed its saving throw. So one racial HD is gone. Could you use that kind of troglodyte as a player character race? Is it ok rules wise, cheesy or a house rule?

Troglodyte has +2 LA, +2d8 HD, +1 BAB, +6 natural armor, Multiattack(B), Weapon Focus(javelin), etc.

Q121: Could you treat that kind of troglodyte as a 1HD monster and take class levels instead of the monstrous HD (Savages Species p.13)?

Q122: If the answer is yes for Q121 then what benefits would you get? Would you gain these: +2 LA, +6 nat armor, special attacks/qualities, natural attacks and racial skill bonuses? Would you get both of those 2 feats (Multiattack(B), Weapon Focus(javelin))?
1)Yes you could.  Strict RAW would make you ECL 4, since the rules reference the base race's HD, not your actual current racial HD.  So you'd essentially trade a HD for a LA that can't be bought off.  It's also questionable whether you'd be able to take a class level upon levelling up, or whether you'd be forced into gaining another humanoid HD

2) Don't think so, since it's an option that you have to take before you ever get HD.
Planetouched Handbook

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #393 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
Thanks. That is what I feared. Well I'll just have to bite the bullet and accept 2 HD + 2 LA.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: January 04, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
Q123  Is there a list of spells which can be permanency'ed floating around somewhere?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #395 on: January 04, 2011, 10:25:35 PM »
Thanks. That is what I feared. Well I'll just have to bite the bullet and accept 2 HD + 2 LA.
Um no... You can level drain that 2nd RHD, replace the first with a class level and then buyoff the 2 LA. You will still have the bonus feat but as a PC you can chose a different first feat rather than that silly WF. Your DM will have every right to cry TO, however.

A123 (partial) I didn't think there were many besides the ones references in the spell text. I only have a slight memory of one spell in a splat book that can be permanencied. I'd be interested, of course if there were many more
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:28:09 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #396 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:51 PM »
Um no... You can level drain that 2nd RHD, replace the first with a class level and then buyoff the 2 LA.
Source please?
Planetouched Handbook

symisin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: January 04, 2011, 11:16:53 PM »

A: Hammer Fist gives you two-handed strike (unarmed, 1.5 str mod to damage, must use both hands). So you wield your fists as a two handed weapon (unarmed strike is a light weapon). Thus, you gain the power attack benefits for two handed weapons; also unarmed strike is specifically stated to deal the damage bonus.

is there another way to do this that isn't dwarf specific?

Caedrus

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #398 on: January 04, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »
So let me see if I get this straight. I have trouble breathing. Lung cancer makes you have trouble breathing. What you're saying is that you can have lung cancer and breathe just fine.

No, I'm saying you can have trouble breathing without it being caused by lung cancer. Cowering is a distinct condition which can be imposed by panicked but can also be imposed by other sources. For example, rebuking an undead causes it to cower without inflicting any of the three fear conditions. If you want to get nitpicky, mandating that Cowering is part of the fear condition scale would actually render undead immune to rebuking as, per the SRD, fear attacks are mind-affecting.

Notice that there is nothing in the description of panicked stating that you lose the panicked condition if you're unable to flee (thus going into the cowering condition). Nor does it say in the cowering condition that you're not panicked.

This is true, and when you are panicked and unable to flee you are both panicked and cowering, just as if you go unconscious as a result of being in the dying condition you are both unconscious and dying. The two states are distinct even though one, under the correct conditions, can induce the other. You receive the penalties of both states: -2 to AC and loss of actions from Cowering, and -2 to skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws along with dropping held items from Panicked.

Gentlemen, please excuse my interruption here, but it is my belief that cowering is recognised as a stage of fear. I am quoting a single paragraph from the Rules Compendium here:

It is my belief that cowering is a stage of fear, but that, unlike the other stages, it is caused by a specific set of circumstances (Panicked creatures cower ).

I would also point you to this wonderful, powerful paragraph: "When such multiple exposures occur, the worst stage of fear lasts until the duration of all the effects causing the fear expire". (Emphasis Mine).

I have created a Fear Handbook here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0;topicseen, and I hope that helps.

C.
Goodnight, Gentlemen; and Thank You.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: January 04, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »

Gentlemen, please excuse my interruption here, but it is my belief that cowering is recognised as a stage of fear. I am quoting a single paragraph from the Rules Compendium here:

That is actually the first legitimate support I've seen for cowering as a fear state. Interesting, and it has the side effect I mentioned earlier of rendering Rebuke Undead arguably entirely ineffective.