Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!  (Read 162132 times)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 21: Dunkadooballs!
« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Q 98 How do I go about increasing the CR of a golem without increasing their size and the racial HD is maxed out?

Maybe you could tack on templates like soulfused construct and others that modify costructs......

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »
Q 98 How do I go about increasing the CR of a golem without increasing their size and the racial HD is maxed out?

Apply a variety of templates. A good place to start is Soulfused Construct (Magic of Incarnum), which makes it a Living Construct, thus allowing you to apply templates that can be applied to "any living, corporeal creature", which seems to be a lot. Probably only acquired templates, but if you're the DM and are cool with stretching the rules a bit, you can give, say, Half-Dragon to an iron golem forged in dragonfire and tempered in dragonsblood, or something like that.

Q99
Is there any way to pick up Stunning Fist or Combat Casting as a bonus feat while progressing divine casting (or without spending a level), and without having to spend other feats to get there (since that'd defeat the purpose)? Character already has Improved Initiative, Law Devotion, Educated, Adaptive Style, Knowledge Devotion, Weapon Focus (twice, in different weapons), Improved Unarmed Strike, Blind-fight, Dodge, and Die Hard, if prereqs matter.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
Q97: We need to transport large quantities of water with either portable hole (DMG p.264) or enveloping pit (MIC p.159). The easy part is to fill it i.e. open it in a pool/sea/lake. The hard part is to empty it moderately quickly. What would be the quickest/best way? I know that reverse gravity (lv 7 spell) could do it but would there be another way, either spell or mundane?

A siphon

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »

Maybe you could tack on templates like soulfused construct and others that modify costructs......

Apply a variety of templates. A good place to start is Soulfused Construct (Magic of Incarnum), which makes it a Living Construct, thus allowing you to apply templates that can be applied to "any living, corporeal creature", which seems to be a lot. Probably only acquired templates, but if you're the DM and are cool with stretching the rules a bit, you can give, say, Half-Dragon to an iron golem forged in dragonfire and tempered in dragonsblood, or something like that.

Seriously? You have to break/bend the rules to your will and hope the DM is gracious enough to look the other way, and then make it a living construct? That unfortunately kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm going for here. But if that's the only way, I'll see what I can get passed him.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2010, 06:48:18 PM »
Q97: We need to transport large quantities of water with either portable hole (DMG p.264) or enveloping pit (MIC p.159). The easy part is to fill it i.e. open it in a pool/sea/lake. The hard part is to empty it moderately quickly. What would be the quickest/best way? I know that reverse gravity (lv 7 spell) could do it but would there be another way, either spell or mundane?

A siphon
Turn it upside down...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #325 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51:12 AM »
Q97: We need to transport large quantities of water with either portable hole (DMG p.264) or enveloping pit (MIC p.159). The easy part is to fill it i.e. open it in a pool/sea/lake. The hard part is to empty it moderately quickly. What would be the quickest/best way?

I know that reverse gravity (lv 7 spell) could do it but would there be another way, either spell or mundane?

Thank you for the suggestions! :)

... Wouln't control water help?

That could do the trick, yes.

... Set up a wooden platform on a rotating axle so that it can flip over. Lay your portable hole flat on the platform, then flip it.

I think the gravity is constant after reading this.

... A siphon

That's an interesting solution. Only thing is to do is toget the water flowing.

... Turn it upside down...

gravity..

Then there is the buckets and rope  solution as well :)

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: January 01, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
Q100: Does a Fiend of Possession (Fiend Folio 204) lose the benefits of its worn magic items when possessing a creature or object? Intuitively it seems like it might, but unlike polymorph effects there's no text establishing that it works that way. Obviously items requiring a physical activation would be useless since only mental actions can be taken, but passive boosters for stats and skills or items with mental activations could be quite useful if they still work.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: January 01, 2011, 08:35:48 AM »
Q101Are the Tome of Battle classes though to be balanced against each other?

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #328 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
A101: yes.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #329 on: January 01, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
Could be wrong, but I believe Swordsage is thought to be very slightly weaker than the other two. It's not an appreciable difference, though.

TheWyrmDude

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #330 on: January 01, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
Could be wrong, but I believe Swordsage is thought to be very slightly weaker than the other two. It's not an appreciable difference, though.

Probably due to its weaker recovery mechanic. Of course, a feat clears that up a bit. Still lose your turn of actions, but at least you get all your maneuvers back instead of one.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #331 on: January 01, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »
Q102 I want an Elemental Weird as a pet. No listed LA, help?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: January 01, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
Q102 I want an Elemental Weird as a pet. No listed LA, help?
A102:
1. Buy a scroll of polymorph any object.
2. Grab an elemental envoy from CPsi.
3. ???
4. Profit!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #333 on: January 01, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »

Probably due to its weaker recovery mechanic. Of course, a feat clears that up a bit. Still lose your turn of actions, but at least you get all your maneuvers back instead of one.
Not just that, but you get to pick your newly readied maneuvers from your entire suite of known maneuvers, and it applies to all your initiator classes.  Since Swordsages typically get this feat, anyway, they're also often multiclassed with the other martial adepts.

So, a pure Swordsage is likely a bit weaker than a Crusader or Warblade, but a multiclass Swordsage/Warblade is pretty freakin' beefy.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #334 on: January 01, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »
Not just that, but you get to pick your newly readied maneuvers from your entire suite of known maneuvers, and it applies to all your initiator classes.  Since Swordsages typically get this feat, anyway, they're also often multiclassed with the other martial adepts.

So, a pure Swordsage is likely a bit weaker than a Crusader or Warblade, but a multiclass Swordsage/Warblade is pretty freakin' beefy.
It's not so much a feat tax as something you'll take at the first available opportunity, like Druids and Natural Spell.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: January 01, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »

It's not so much a feat tax as something you'll take at the first available opportunity, like Druids and Natural Spell.

or Dread necro's with Tomb Tainted Soul

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: January 02, 2011, 12:55:44 AM »
Q 103 If you're CN, and lean towards more evil tendencies, and have the Graced From Outside +1 LA from DMGII, can you still take a spell from the Good domain? Or, are you stuck with choosing a 1st or 2nd level spell from the Chaos or Evil domain?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #337 on: January 02, 2011, 02:42:00 AM »
Q 104: Do dorjes count as wands for the purpose of spells/feats/class abilities?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #338 on: January 02, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
Q105: What effect does the kraken mantle soulmeld have on creatures with a natural swim speed?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #339 on: January 02, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »
Q 104: Do dorjes count as wands for the purpose of spells/feats/class abilities?
Not by RAW.  There are psionic analogues to the most popular Wand feats in CPsi, if memory serves.  If not, work with your DM to come up with a few.