Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115931 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #560 on: July 21, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
A165: I'll disagree with Agita.  If your speed allows you to outmaneuver your opponent, this debuff can be good no matter what the level.  1/2 movement, cannot run or charge is not too shabby.  Toss in Slow Breath and your opponent is down to 1/4 movement.  It depends on the encounter... against ranged attackers, this isn't that big of a deal, but I can cripple a melee opponent.

The -2 to their attacks, and the -4 to dex to lower his AC (for ally's attacks) and Reflex saves (for subsequent breath attacks) doesn't have as much impact at higher levels.
I'm not saying it's not still good. It just isn't as omgwtfbbq as at level 1. Do note that Freedom of Movement has been available for some time at level 16, though.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #561 on: July 21, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
Q 167

I seem to recall a Spellthief variant in some Dragon mag that gave it better casting, similar to a Bard. Where might I find this variant, if I'm not imagining things?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #562 on: July 21, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »
I'm not saying it's not still good. It just isn't as omgwtfbbq as at level 1. Do note that Freedom of Movement has been available for some time at level 16, though.
True, but that's why I was saying it depends on the encounter.  If it's a caster whipping out Freedom of Movement, I'd be more worried about them tossing Dissintegrate or some Save or Die spell at me.  I'd lump them in with the ranged attackers I warned about.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Big Dumb Fighter -types.  They are just as crippled at 20th level as they are at 1st.  If the NPC standard treasure affords them a Ring of Freedom, then all I can say is.... LOOT!  If a DM uses advanced HD animals, or other not-so-intelligent combatants, then I'd constantly keep entangling in place whenever possible.

I also like the thought of using entangling as the poor-man's Fairy Fire.  Act as a spotter and coat the hidden or invisible bad guy in fiery entangling goodness.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: July 21, 2010, 01:24:59 PM »
Q168: Is there a way to Hide after shooting someone ('sniping') as a Swift action?
Or Hiding as a Swift action at all, for that matter?

Thanks,
~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: July 21, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »
Q168: Is there a way to Hide after shooting someone ('sniping') as a Swift action?

Thanks,
~Bowen
swift invisibility?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #565 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
Q 167

I seem to recall a Spellthief variant in some Dragon mag that gave it better casting, similar to a Bard. Where might I find this variant, if I'm not imagining things?
Dragon Magazine #353
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »

Thanks,
~Bowen
swift invisibility?

On a similar note, lesser celerity/hustle.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #567 on: July 21, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »

Thanks,
~Bowen

There is the sniping section on the SRD, which seems to require no action at all... does limit you to one shot a round though.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #568 on: July 21, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »

There is the sniping section on the SRD, which seems to require no action at all... does limit you to one shot a round though.
There was a feat that either negated that penalty or reduced it considerably. I can only find Able Sniper at the moment which just decreases it to -16.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: July 21, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »

There was a feat that either negated that penalty or reduced it considerably. I can only find Able Sniper at the moment which just decreases it to -16.
I seem to remember one that grants -10...

Q169: Aside from Hustle and Lesser Celerity, are there any other low level (say, around level 4-5) ways to get an extra move action.
Note: Move action, not movement, so Travel Devotion isn't an option.

Thanks again,
~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #570 on: July 21, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »
Q 167

Dragon Magazine #353
Found it, thanks.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #571 on: July 21, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »

Thanks,
~Bowen

Quote from: SRD: Hide
However, hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action.

I wish it were that easy :)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #572 on: July 21, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
Q 170

Is there a way for a multiclassed Spellthief to increase the highest level of Spell-Like Ability (not spell, I'm aware of Master Spellthief) he can steal, aside from taking mroe Spellthief levels?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: July 21, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »
Q171: Is there any way for a Duskblade to use his Arcane Channeling ability on ranged attacks? Feats, ACFs, Class Variants etc.?

Q172: What ways are there to channel a (damaging) spell through a ranged attack that are available at lower levels? (the lower, the better, obviously)

And thanks again :)
~Bowen

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: July 21, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
Q 170

Is there a way for a multiclassed Spellthief to increase the highest level of Spell-Like Ability (not spell, I'm aware of Master Spellthief) he can steal, aside from taking mroe Spellthief levels?
170: Bloodline levels, Legacy Champion, Uncanny Trickster. That's all I know of.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #575 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »
Q 170

170: Bloodline levels, Legacy Champion, Uncanny Trickster. That's all I know of.
Yep, that's about it.  I've looked.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »
Q 170

Yep, that's about it.  I've looked.
Well, drat. Coming from TML, that is discouraging, since I know you've played something like what I'm trying to build right now in the past... Ah well.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #577 on: July 21, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »
Q171: Is there any way for a Duskblade to use his Arcane Channeling ability on ranged attacks? Feats, ACFs, Class Variants etc.?

Q172: What ways are there to channel a (damaging) spell through a ranged attack that are available at lower levels? (the lower, the better, obviously)

~Bowen

There is that prestige class in Tome of Battle that allows you to treat ranged attacks as melee attacks.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #578 on: July 21, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

~Bowen

There is that prestige class in Tome of Battle that allows you to treat ranged attacks as melee attacks.
Actually, it's make melee attacks into ranged attacks that still count as melee attacks.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #579 on: July 21, 2010, 02:29:05 PM »

~Bowen

Actually, it's make melee attacks into ranged attacks that still count as melee attacks.
Ok... thanks for the greater level of detail but ultimately it still works the same way :P