Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115678 times)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
Q35: Is there a list of armours?

Alternately, if someone could recommend a light armour with a high AC and a (relatively) low +Dex, that would work too.
Stick a dastana and char-aina onto it.  (or however those OA things are spelled)
Gnomish twist clothe for the win.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »
Q35: Is there a list of armours?

Alternately, if someone could recommend a light armour with a high AC and a (relatively) low +Dex, that would work too.
Stick a dastana and char-aina onto it.  (or however those OA things are spelled)
Celestial Armor, DMG specific magic armors section.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Contranym

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
Q34:

Is there a way for a Cleric to use a Magic Jar type spell? Or is there the same thing but differently named on either the Druid or Cleric Lists?

Please anyone?

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »
Stick a dastana and char-aina onto it.  (or however those OA things are spelled)

Ah, I need to be more specific. It needs to cost less than 1350 gold, which means Celestial Armour is probably out.

@TML: Dastana is a good idea, if I end up with Leather, a Chain Shirt or Padded armour, because +1 AC (That stacks) for 25gp is ridiculous.

Does anyone else think that a 16500gp light armour, with a +4 bonus to AC, a +6 Max Dex and no armour check penalty, oh, and a +3 unnamed bonus to Charisma-based checks 1/day (For 3 hours, so long enough for almost any social encounter) is maybe a little strong? (The Admirals Bicorne is what, 51000 gp?)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:46:27 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
Stick a dastana and char-aina onto it.  (or however those OA things are spelled)

Ah, I need to be more specific. It needs to cost less than 1350 gold, which means Celestial Armour is probably out.

@TML: Dastana is a good idea, if I end up with Leather, a Chain Shirt or Padded armour, because +1 AC (That stacks) for 25gp is ridiculous.

Does anyone else think that a 16500gp light armour, with a +4 bonus to AC, a +6 Max Dex and no armour check penalty, oh, and a +3 unnamed bonus to Charisma-based checks 1/day (For 3 hours, so long enough for almost any social encounter) is maybe a little strong? (The Admirals Bicorne is what, 51000 gp?)
A mithral chain shirt is 1100 gold, and gives you +4 to AC and has +6 DEX bonus with no check penalty. Add the dastana for an extra +1 for 25 gold.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2010, 11:59:07 PM »
Q 37:  Is there any point to getting Improved Unarmed Strike if I have natural weapons?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
A37: Its a common prereq for lots of monk-ish prestige classes, to start.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2010, 12:02:28 AM »
Q38 I need to explain how the venerable dragonwrought kobold shenanigans works to a newbie.... how can I do it without blowing his mind away?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »
Q38 I need to explain how the venerable dragonwrought kobold shenanigans works to a newbie.... how can I do it without blowing his mind away?
You can't
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »
You could start by telling him it does nothing that a monk class feature can do, then point out that its the 17th level class feature.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »
Q 37:  Is there any point to getting Improved Unarmed Strike if I have natural weapons?
You get iterative attacks which you can take even if you have neither hands nor a mouthpick weapon.  You ever seen a druid wild shaped into a megaraptor with power attack, leap attack, shock trooper and improved unarmed strike make a charge?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

MyndBulletz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »
Q 39: This is a Pathfinder question...I noticed that for an animal companion to take feats other than the given list, they must have an Intelligence score of 3 or better. None of the animal companion possibilities I've found have an INT higher than 2....does anyone know of one?
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2010, 02:05:35 AM »
Q 40 Is there a pied piper PrC?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:03 AM »

Which one?

The obvious one is "the dragonwrought feat says you no longer take penalties for aging.  Being venerable gives you +3 to all mental stats and -6 to all physical stats.  Since you don't take any of penalties, it's a real bargain".
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2010, 02:46:31 AM »
Q41:  Is there any way for a focused conjurer/malconvoker with abysmally low Wis to spontaneously convert his prepared spells into Summon Monster spells?

I'm considering trying to prove a point to a DM that allows full casters but won't allow a wild shape ranger/master of many forms/warshaper, because he's too worried about the power and options and surprises of the monster forms available.  I think he doesn't have his head on straight about this particular issue.  I think not even using monsters and still kicking ass should be a powerful demonstration of the point, but given that the character is primarily built around being a summoner, if I get in over my head for playing against build I'd like to leave the option open to say that I am not left-handed.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2010, 02:56:33 AM »
Q41:  Is there any way for a focused conjurer/malconvoker with abysmally low Wis to spontaneously convert his prepared spells into Summon Monster spells?

I'm considering trying to prove a point to a DM that allows full casters but won't allow a wild shape ranger/master of many forms/warshaper, because he's too worried about the power and options and surprises of the monster forms available.  I think he doesn't have his head on straight about this particular issue.  I think not even using monsters and still kicking ass should be a powerful demonstration of the point, but given that the character is primarily built around being a summoner, if I get in over my head for playing against build I'd like to leave the option open to say that I am not left-handed.
What stat do you have higher? CHA or INT? Because you could always go with Dynamic Priest or Academy Priest, respectfully, and use one of those stats instead of WIS.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2010, 03:10:17 AM »
What stat do you have higher? CHA or INT? Because you could always go with Dynamic Priest or Academy Priest, respectfully, and use one of those stats instead of WIS.
Rolled ability scores so I wound up with an odd arrangement, naked I got Str 7, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 7, Cha 8.
EDIT: Why would a focused conjurer/malconvoker ever have Cha higher than Int?  :twitch

Should be able to punish enemies easily enough with orb spells, necromancy and transmutation debuffs and SOL effects, and clouds, but it's not really what the character was made for.  Feats are:
[spoiler]Augment SummoningB, enhanced summoning ACF, Demon MasteryB, human, Heighten Spellflaw, Obtain Familiar (required to have one, and I traded mine away for rapid summoning), Sculpt Spell, Skill Focus (bluff)B, malconvoker, Spell Focus Conjuration, and Summon Elemental[/spoiler]

I don't know if Academy/Dynamic Priest are gonna fly, DM tends to be suspicious of the more obscure material and I don't think anyone in the group has access to the mags.  Anything else?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2010, 03:12:21 AM »

I don't know if Academy/Dynamic Priest are gonna fly, DM tends to be suspicious of the more obscure material and I don't think anyone in the group has access to the mags.  Anything else?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2010, 03:17:43 AM »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.
I just looked at the feats section of DCS and they're not there (not that the DM uses the book anyway, at least, not so far), don't seem to be in a sidebar in the cleric info either.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2010, 03:27:46 AM »
Sorry, my mistake, it's Academy Priest, not Academic Priest. It is from Dragonlance, but from the Legend of the Twins book (pg 12).

Academic Priest [General]
Your path to faith is more scholarly than those of other clerics.
Prerequisites: Intelligence 13+
Benefit: For the purpose of determining bonus divine spells per day and maximum divine spell level, your
primary spellcasting ability is Intelligence. If you have more than one divine spellcasting class, the bonus applies
to only one of those classes. Your spell save DCs are not affected by this change.
Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character. If you take this feat more than once it applies to
a different divine spellcasting class each time. You may take this feat even if you have no divine spellcasting classes yet.

I don't know anything about the malconvoker so I don't know if this feat would do you any good.