Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115865 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #820 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
lol A gish handbook? Sweet. But you're likely right about the lack of uber spells. I can see Practiced Spellcaster being very important.

I guess I question the beguiler simply because of the lack of offensive spells. I mean, what would you do? At lower levels you'd probably be good, but at 20th you likely can't buff anyone if only because no one needs it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #821 on: July 27, 2010, 10:00:38 PM »
Q 238 Where's the Greater Dispelling +2 weapon ability from?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #822 on: July 27, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
Wherever it's from, it was reprinted in MIC. It's now a +1 ability, but requires Dispelling as a synergy ability before you can put it on the weapon (so it's effectively still a +2).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: July 27, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
Wherever it's from, it was reprinted in MIC. It's now a +1 ability, but requires Dispelling as a synergy ability before you can put it on the weapon (so it's effectively still a +2).
It's too bad that it's so limited (3 times a day each).

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #824 on: July 27, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
Q234 Hello all you learned sages out there, I have a rather difficult conundrum I could use some help with. I'm currently in a kind of neutral evil spy vs spy campaign. I'm the mage who's good at dealing a fair bit of damage and being the party's face-man to the public (Sorc6/Eldritch Master2[DragMag 280]). I have a couple of characters in my party who are very stealthy and could easily steal from me and I've already been stolen from twice. Are there any practical ant-theft measures I can take? I could use spells like Shadow Cache and Leomund's Secret Chest to safeguard my stuff overnight but I need to have it on me and ready for use during the day and at least one of the characters is skilled-enough to get away with pick-pocketing. As a temporary solution I've coated the contents of my wallet with a contact poison and I've got a magic item that can cast neutralize poison but this doesn't seem to me to be a very cost-effective or insurmountable safeguard. I'm up for all ideas, both short-term and long-term solutions. Thanks for all the help!

Get a bag of devouring and disguise it as your gold puch? Maybe buy/construct a varient one where it will only devour you if you dont know a key word?

This isnt really what your looking for but I just had a funny idea. Buy a cursed item of any kind, and put it on a corpse that one of your friends will loot. lol that would be funny... but yea probly not what you need.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #825 on: July 27, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »
Q234 Hello all you learned sages out there, I have a rather difficult conundrum I could use some help with. I'm currently in a kind of neutral evil spy vs spy campaign. I'm the mage who's good at dealing a fair bit of damage and being the party's face-man to the public (Sorc6/Eldritch Master2[DragMag 280]). I have a couple of characters in my party who are very stealthy and could easily steal from me and I've already been stolen from twice. Are there any practical ant-theft measures I can take? I could use spells like Shadow Cache and Leomund's Secret Chest to safeguard my stuff overnight but I need to have it on me and ready for use during the day and at least one of the characters is skilled-enough to get away with pick-pocketing. As a temporary solution I've coated the contents of my wallet with a contact poison and I've got a magic item that can cast neutralize poison but this doesn't seem to me to be a very cost-effective or insurmountable safeguard. I'm up for all ideas, both short-term and long-term solutions. Thanks for all the help!
Get a bag of devouring and disguise it as your gold puch? Maybe buy/construct a varient one where it will only devour you if you dont know a key word?

This isnt really what your looking for but I just had a funny idea. Buy a cursed item of any kind, and put it on a corpse that one of your friends will loot. lol that would be funny... but yea probly not what you need.
Theres a lovely "cursed" item my friend invented... It's a reallly really stupid intelegent magic item, a belt usually. it'll detect to being a belt of hidden pouches and usually another rogueish ability. But it really just tried to help people being stealthy, and will use bard song (Yelling the word SNEAK loudly) when ever they make a move scilently, hide, slight of hand or disable device check, and cast light at the same time.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: July 28, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »
Q 239 Is there a way for a beguiler to learn lethal spells, or make his nonlethal damaging ones into lethal?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #827 on: July 28, 2010, 12:44:41 AM »
Q 239 Is there a way for a beguiler to learn lethal spells, or make his nonlethal damaging ones into lethal?
The DM allows him to use the Warmage alternate class feature from the PHBII (I forget the name).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #828 on: July 28, 2010, 12:45:37 AM »
The DM allows him to use the Warmage alternate class feature from the PHBII (I forget the name).
Ah yes. The one that lets you learn a spell that counts as one level higher (ie fireball would be a 4th level spell instead of a third).

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #829 on: July 28, 2010, 12:50:56 AM »
Grab the Mother Cyst feat from Libris Mortis and use your cyst-based necromancy to kill.  Own a scythe and CDG anyone made helpless by your magic (or use your magic to easily get at naturally helpless people like people sleeping for the night, and CDG them then).  Prestige out into Mage of the Arcane Order to grab some access to sor/wiz spells, Rainbow Servant for cleric spells, or Recaster for whatever spells.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #830 on: July 28, 2010, 12:51:37 AM »
Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium.  Anything that adds domains with damaging spells (good domain has blade barrier which does pretty good damage, and comes from rainbow servant), or arcane discipel
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #831 on: July 28, 2010, 01:02:27 AM »
Prestige out into Mage of the Arcane Order.
That really only works for wizards since the benefits you get for gaining new spells must be written down in a spellbook, and if you don't use one, you don't get it. The others are interesting though.

Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium.  Anything that adds domains with damaging spells (good domain has blade barrier which does pretty good damage, and comes from rainbow servant), or arcane discipel
For the bloodline feats, aren't you limited to the fact that you need to be Sorcerer 1?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #832 on: July 28, 2010, 01:07:40 AM »
For the bloodline feats, aren't you limited to the fact that you need to be Sorcerer 1?

Isn't it just "Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation."?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #833 on: July 28, 2010, 01:09:13 AM »
Knowstones if you can afford them. 1500* Spell level squared, add a spell of that level to spells known.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #834 on: July 28, 2010, 01:25:34 AM »
Prestige out into Mage of the Arcane Order.
That really only works for wizards since the benefits you get for gaining new spells must be written down in a spellbook, and if you don't use one, you don't get it. The others are interesting though.

You're looking at the wrong thing as the benefit.  The extra spells from New Spell at levels 5 and 8 aren't the point.  The key benefit from the Beguiler point of view is, Mage of the Arcane Order lets you spontaneously borrow sor/wiz spells from the spellpool and cast them from blank prepared slots.  You can have these slots, because you've taken the Arcane Preparation feat to qualify for the prestige class in the first place.  Borrowing from the spellpool doesn't permanently learn the spells, but no spellbook is required.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:28:18 AM by weenog »
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #835 on: July 28, 2010, 01:39:50 AM »
Knowstones if you can afford them. 1500* Spell level squared, add a spell of that level to spells known.
Maybe I'm missing something but it says "Any spontaneous caster can use a knowstone, provided that the spell it includes is on his spell list. Beguilers can't cast fireballs or magic missile. I also read that it's level squared x 1000+expensive material components or focus.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #836 on: July 28, 2010, 01:42:24 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something but it says "Any spontaneous caster can use a knowstone, provided that the spell it includes is on his spell list. Beguilers can't cast fireballs or magic missile. I also read that it's level squared x 1000+expensive material components or focus.
*Face palm* right spell level squared *1500 are momento magica

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: July 28, 2010, 02:23:25 AM »

Theres a lovely "cursed" item my friend invented... It's a reallly really stupid intelegent magic item, a belt usually. it'll detect to being a belt of hidden pouches and usually another rogueish ability. But it really just tried to help people being stealthy, and will use bard song (Yelling the word SNEAK loudly) when ever they make a move scilently, hide, slight of hand or disable device check, and cast light at the same time.

lol i never thought about that... making a cursed item be a intelligent item thats trying to help the PC's but,  it is just to stupid to do anything. the belt thing is pretty funny.
in my last game one of the players(will) was annoying there powerful wiz friend about 'hooking him up with some free stuff"
eventually I gave in and gave him some boots and told him to only use them when he was about to die.  lol they were cursed boots of dancing. he tap danced his way into a early grave  :D

Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #838 on: July 28, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »
For low levels, learn Power Word: Pain with your first advanced learning. That's about as lethal as it gets for a lvl 1 spell.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #839 on: July 28, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Q240

What are some good flaws to take as a spell casting class?