Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 269482 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2008, 05:22:02 AM »
Dust of Sneezing and Choking is an obvious dirty trick... no save stun for a long time?  Yes please.

And for infinite planes with air, I was thinking something like Ysgaurd, which is defined as such.

JaronK

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
Three full attacks? Meh. Good multipouncers can break four or five full attacks a round. I think it's Telflammar Shadowlord that lets you full-attack whenever you come out of a teleport next to someone. Add Sun School and a couple of buffs, and you're good to go.

Has anyone mentioned the 1d2 Crusader yet?
I know gameology-fu.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I love that crusader. Don't think it's come up in this thread yet.

There's also the guy with dungeoncrasher and ranged bull rush. Something about beating a guy senseless by tossing four-ounce shuriken at him and smashing him into the the wall seems dirty to me. It's also awesome.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
Improvised weapon rules. Throw paperclips at him. :lol
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
Anyways, I guess I should give the full rundown on the 1d2 Crusader. You need to be at least 12th level to do this, so it's not as bad some tricks.

Crusader 11/Cleric 1. You need to be Chaotic and have the Luck domain, so Kord or Olidamarra are good choices for deities.

Aura of Chaos (Devoted Spirit 6)
Stance [Chaos]
While you are in this stance, whenever you roll the maximum result on a damage die, you may roll that die again and add the result to your damage.

This is, of course, not a huge damage boost. It's optimal to use a d3, and even then you're only adding about one point per die on average.

Imbued Healing (Luck)
Feat (Complete Champion)
Whenever you cast a Conjuration (Healing) spell, for a number of minutes equal to the level of the spell, you may treat any damage die that was rolled as a 1 as a 2.

Again, a small boost. This works best with the d2, adding 0.5 damage per die. Now watch what happens when we mix them...

Roll a d2:
Result: 2 -> Aura of Chaos triggers -> Roll another d2
Result: 1 -> Imbued Healing means treat this as 2 -> Aura of Chaos triggers -> Roll another d2

End result: Roll infinite d2s. Each of them gets a 2, for damage equal to the cardinality of the natural numbers. Whatever you hit, it's staying down.

Do this to the Tarrasque. No need for Wish or Miracle; infinity less forty is infinity, so it's in a coma until the end of time.
I know gameology-fu.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »
Warblades are now feeling left out in the infinite damage area.  Can't have that.

Okay, so infinite attacks from a Warblade:  Go Warblade X/Disciple of Dispater 8.  Weild a pair of Aptitude Kukris.  Take Improved Critical, Weapon Focus Light Mace, Lightning Mace, Roundabout Kick, and have Blood in the Water.

Every time you hit you threaten a critical on a 9-20, and have a very high chance of confirming (between Int to confirm and Blood in the Water).  Threatened criticals give you an extra attack, and confirmed criticals give you another extra attack.  If you can get your confirm rate up high enough, you get infinite attacks (and your to hit and damage goes up infinitely too).

Whee!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2008, 12:11:38 AM »
Can that really be done? Aptitude kukris? That goes in the heviliy debated pile methinks.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2008, 12:22:37 AM »
Like much of the stuff here. :) The Haunt Shift "immortality" trick doesn't really convince me for instance.

SorO_Lost, I loved the Hindsight trick ! :D Did you come up with it ?
Tleilaxu_Ghola made some cool contributions to time-traveling with his Terminator build (meant to end Pun-Pun).

I have a fondness for Body Outside Body (Wu Jen spell, CA) personally.
The basic idea is to get BoB as a SLA so that the clones can cast it too (they can't cast spells... but SLAs are not mentioned - and they will be obtained via class features which are explicitly retained).
That means Archmage for an arcane caster or Hierophant for a divine caster (who'd use Miracle).

So: you have infinite clones in 1 round (the clones act right after being created). Now find them something useful to do:
- clone bombs. Get Death Throes as a SLA, the clones cast it on themselves and one sets off the chain reaction...
- combat clones. Get Giant Size, Shapechange and/or Transcend Mortality as SLAs. Even with mediocre BAB your army will tear down mountains.
- get infinite X. It can be Incantatrix metamagicking of others' spells, Turn Attempts (with the Hierophant ability), actions (this one's trickier, but Cleric into RKV with White Raven Tactics does it), etc...

Just pick a class feature or a combination of a few abilities and imagine an army that has those...
Once I imagined just using it to find someone: you let your clones replicate until they fill the planet you're on and find the target. Then they report his location back to you. It doesn't work with infinite planes unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 12:25:16 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2008, 01:05:39 AM »
SorO_Lost, I loved the Hindsight trick ! :D Did you come up with it ?
Yes, or if someone has seen this pefore I did it without them and I'm taking the cedit for making it public.

I was chatting at weredragon and we were talking about time stop and some other stuff which got me to remember Hindsight. Given that VGCats just happen to release their back to the future comic the idea just hit me. And so the image really serves two purposes. One for awesomeness, another as my nod of thanks to them for the idea.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2008, 02:10:42 AM »
Can that really be done? Aptitude kukris? That goes in the heviliy debated pile methinks.

Not really.  A quick look at the enchantment makes it very clear that it's totally legal (and I'm sure everyone can agree that NOTHING in this thread is intended).  It's only been debated by folks who just think it shouldn't work... just check out the Aptitude enchantment and judge for yourself.

JaronK

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2008, 02:19:41 AM »

Not really.  A quick look at the enchantment makes it very clear that it's totally legal (and I'm sure everyone can agree that NOTHING in this thread is intended).  It's only been debated by folks who just think it shouldn't work... just check out the Aptitude enchantment and judge for yourself.

JaronK
I did and the shit works
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2008, 02:57:56 AM »
On the Haunt Shift trick: If you don't like the negative levels and treated as undead stuff, try the psionic version. T_G made this up for a "worst character build" competition, but it's got some potential depending on rules interpretation.

Prepare your object, then have someone cast Polymorph Any Object on it to turn it into a rabbit.
Manifest Astral Seed.
Die. Doing so within 20 minutes is probably a good idea.
From your Astral Seed, manifest Mind Switch with the rabbit.
Manifest Metamorphosis into a Troll, then smash the Astral Seed. You now permanently occupy the rabbit's body.
Allow the PAO to run out. When this occurs, you now occupy your chosen object. Pray your DM lets you keep your mental abilities. You can't move it or see out of your new home, but proper power/ACF selection can get around this. In particular, the Telepath's Telepathy ACF, combined with the Mindsight feat, lets you see what the hell's going on, as does Sense Link. Another downside is that you have permanently destroyed the soul of a rabbit that was going to be destroyed in a couple of minutes anyway.

What are good targets for this? I always liked the BSF's armor. There are no rules for attacking armor in 3.5, so now you can start flinging short-range effects with impunity. And you're always touching them if they need a Psionic Revivify or Control Body.

When T_G did this, he turned his Telepath 20 into a sandwich, and assumed it simply became a normal sandwich. I'm not so sure that a PAO ending would overwrite your mental abilities.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:00:32 AM by Callix »
I know gameology-fu.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: October 25, 2008, 09:25:10 AM »
The wording of the ability and enchantment both strongly suggest that it doesn't work that way, but don't eliminate the possibility.

It was, however, clarified that aptitude (ability and enchant) only affects feats that lets you choose a weapon, not feats that designate the weapon.

So, pure RaW, it does work, but not even errata was needed (nor used) to officially take that away.

Edit: I cannot re-find the source for this information, so I am withdrawing it.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #213 on: October 25, 2008, 10:15:41 AM »
"I concentrate fiercely on my opponent!"a bonus on saving throws. The catch: at the end of the 1 round/level duration, you die. Oh, it's also dismissible.
Now let's see. Personal range: check. Target: You: check. Defensive: check. So with, say, a Wu Jen 13/Spellguard of Silverymoon 4, we can cast Transcend Mortality on other people. But why would we want to tell our friends "I just buffed you, but you'll die in one and a half minutes"? We don't. The trick is...
We cast it on opponents.
As a Personal spell, TM has no Save or SR entries. Thus, you only need to touch omeone as an Immediate action, then shift away on your turn and dismiss it. Bam. He's dead, Jim. No Save, no SR.

Note: Credit goes to Nox_Noctis for being the one to point this trick out to me a while ago. I don't know if it was his idea or not, but I haven't seen it anywhere else to date.
EDIT: Seems like the ones to originally come up with the trick were Adslahnit and Douglasm. There ya go.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:54:30 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2008, 10:25:35 AM »
Speaking of suicidal spells, has anyone discussed the Affinity Field nova?

Open your XPH. Take a look at the power "Affinity Field" (Egoist 9). Basically, anything that happens to you happens to everyone within 30 feet. Now imagine what happens if you were to share this with a psicrystal. That's right. If you get hurt, so does everyone within 30 feet. Including your psicrystal. If your psicrystal gets hurt, everyone within 30 feet takes damage. Including you. Anyone see a pattern?

Anyway, to really abuse this, have a clerical friend cast Delay Death on you. The Field passes it to your psicrystal. Now run up to Asmodeus and cause yourself some injury. Even one point of damage will cause infinite feedback, leaving the Big A dead and you and your psicrystal unconscious at minus infinity. This is when the party comes over with the bucket of water and gets your HP reset to zero. Failing that, Contingent Psionic Revivify can set in when Delay Death runs out.
I know gameology-fu.

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
Agita: doesn't "at the end of the duration" mean: if it isn't dismissed and the duration runs out?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2008, 10:51:28 AM »
Or pair Affinity Field with Synchronicity (which gives you a readied action usable at any time) : everybody in the field gets the extra action...

@SorO_Lost: +fu for you then. :D It's nice to see new things still crop up.

@Callix: agreed, the sandwich trick is great. With Haunt Shift it's not very clear to me you can still cast by animating the object, etc...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »
Agita: doesn't "at the end of the duration" mean: if it isn't dismissed and the duration runs out?
Unlikely. If it was that way, you could simply cast it on yourself, dismiss it just before you die, and live happily ever after. Not even Wizards would let a drawback be that easily negated. The way I see it, dismiss means "end the duration".
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »
Unlikely. If it was that way, you could simply cast it on yourself, dismiss it just before you die, and live happily ever after. Not even Wizards would let a drawback be that easily negated. The way I see it, dismiss means "end the duration".

Good point, comment withdrawn and +fu for the trick then. :P

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »
Credit goes to Adslahnit + Douglasm (I think the former has an account here)