Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 268707 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #480 on: January 26, 2009, 04:00:27 AM »
1. Have a mage with Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, and delayed blast fireball. Abilities that decrease metamagic costs are a priority.

2. Cast Persisted, Extended dbfs, then place the beads carefully in a tiny vial with just enough room for the bead to fit.

3. Make sure you label each one for what day and time they're set to explode.

4. Give them to the rogue so he can sneak attack with them.

5. Profit!

Alternately, oils of cure xxx wounds to sneak attack during a fight for useful healing interspersed with regular attacks.

Similar things can be done with explosive runes, arrows, archers, and a minimal caster level dispel magic.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:04:04 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04:40 AM »
1. Have a mage with Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, and delayed blast fireball. Abilities that decrease metamagic costs are a priority.

2. Cast Persisted, Extended dbfs, then place the beads carefully in a tiny vial with just enough room for the bead to fit.

3. Make sure you label each one for what day and time they're set to explode.

4. Give them to the rogue so he can sneak attack with them.

5. Profit!

Alternately, oils of cure xxx wounds to sneak attack during a fight for useful healing interspersed with regular attacks.

Are'nt there easier ways to get the rogue killed  ??? :smirk
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #482 on: January 26, 2009, 04:09:48 AM »
Give the rogue levels in Master Thrower?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #483 on: January 26, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
Step 1: Buy or craft a calzone golem

Step 2: Hit it with orb of fire two or three times.  Its natural armor increases by 1 for every 3 hp of fire damage it would take from spells.

Step 3: Watch as the invincible, delicious juggernaut attacks a town.  With such a high bonus to AC, and magic immunity, it can be harmed by flasks of acid and not much else.

From the free adventure located at: www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Cooking.pdf
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #484 on: February 01, 2009, 02:58:38 AM »
Iron Heart Surge: Can be used to cure lycanthropy, prevent hunger and thirst, end snowstorms and tsunamis, evaporate oceans, destroy (natural) gravity, stop time, halt volcanic eruptions, permanently cool the elemental plane of fire or disintegrate the elemental plane of earth, strip all of the air from the Material Plane, prevent aging, and cure death.

Among other things.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:36:05 AM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #485 on: February 01, 2009, 06:17:25 AM »
Iron Heart Surge: Can be used to cure lycanthropy, prevent hunger and thirst, end snowstorms and tsunamis, evaporate oceans, destroy (natural) gravity, stop time, halt volcanic eruptions, permanently cool the elemental plane of fire or disintegrate the elemental plane of earth, strip all of the air from the Material Plane, prevent aging, and cure death.

Among other things.

and now, for this limited time offer, YOU can be the proud owner of Iron Heart Surge!  at Only the cost of two feats!

low on feats, you say? contact us about our special "warblade dip" aid! for when you just don't have the feats the spare, dip warblade!

whats that you say? an artificer? wizard? druid? anyone who casts? can't afford to delay progression, and can't afford the feats?
now, for the mere price of ((3000+3000*1.5)*2)  15000 gold, you too can perform an iron heart surge!  our special unslotted ironheart vest allows you not ONLY to use iron heart surge, but ALSO your choice of any one second level or lower iron heart manuver! now thats a bargain!!

call 1-800-iron-surge! thats 1-800-iron-surge! call now, and all your troubles will be over with at least once per encounter!  thats 1-800-iron-surge! call now! do you want to miss out on iron heart surge???
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #486 on: February 01, 2009, 06:33:58 AM »

Among other things.

Wasn't there a FAQ that clarified what an "effect" is, though?

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #487 on: February 01, 2009, 08:01:38 AM »

Among other things.

and now, for this limited time offer, YOU can be the proud owner of Iron Heart Surge!  at Only the cost of two feats!

low on feats, you say? contact us about our special "warblade dip" aid! for when you just don't have the feats the spare, dip warblade!

whats that you say? an artificer? wizard? druid? anyone who casts? can't afford to delay progression, and can't afford the feats?
now, for the mere price of ((3000+3000*1.5)*2)  15000 gold, you too can perform an iron heart surge!  our special unslotted ironheart vest allows you not ONLY to use iron heart surge, but ALSO your choice of any one second level or lower iron heart manuver! now thats a bargain!!

call 1-800-iron-surge! thats 1-800-iron-surge! call now, and all your troubles will be over with at least once per encounter!  thats 1-800-iron-surge! call now! do you want to miss out on iron heart surge???
And this is why custom items are just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #488 on: February 01, 2009, 08:11:19 AM »

Among other things.

And this is why custom items are just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
They're not custom... :rollseyes
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #489 on: February 01, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »
you don't really even need a custom item, just check the "crown of the white raven" entry in ToB.... includes the premade rules for items of other schools, and lvl 1-3 manuvers are only 3000gp...  its quite easily abusable, really.  who doesn't like emerald razor 1/encounter for just 3k gold? peanuts at high levels, but incredibly useful.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #490 on: February 01, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »

Among other things.

Well, you still have to be able to take a standard action, which prevents the curing death part.

On the other hand, Iron Heart Surge is how Pun-Pun is able to exist in 4e.
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #491 on: February 01, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Given that you can obtain IHS through an item, a caster with Celerity could find it useful.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #492 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »

Among other things.

Well, you still have to be able to take a standard action, which prevents the curing death part.

I never said it had to be YOUR death. Someone else's death can negatively affect you, especially if you were emotionally close. Your mate gets killed and you're emotionally-distraught? IRON HEART SURGE!!! :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:21:52 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #493 on: February 01, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »

Among other things.

I never said it had to be YOUR death. Someone else's death can negatively affect you, especially if you were emotionally close. Your mate gets killed and you're emotionally-distraught? IRON HEART SURGE!!! :D
Gods, I need to pick up a level of Warblade...
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #494 on: February 02, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »
Minor dirty trick: Take the Shaky flaw (-2 on ranged attacks). Now take levels in bloodstorm blade (treat ranged attacks as melee attacks for all purposes). Hey, free feat!
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #495 on: February 02, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
Vulnerable flaw (-1 to AC) + Luck of Heroes feat (+1 to AC and +1 to all saves) = ?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »
Edit: Arrgh, ninja'd by Lycanthromancer.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: February 02, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
Vulnerable flaw (-1 to AC) + Luck of Heroes feat (+1 to AC and +1 to all saves) = ?

Depends on when you hit play. I have better uses for a feat than +1 to saves past 5th level. Nice, but doesn't abuse the rules horribly enough I think.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »

Among other things.

I suppose  being a 100% effective cure for angst does make IHS broken on its own.
Planetouched Handbook

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #499 on: February 03, 2009, 06:36:15 AM »

Among other things.

I suppose  being a 100% effective cure for angst does make IHS broken on its own.
Angsty whiny Drizz't clones affect you in a negative way, right? :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol