Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 268689 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #940 on: December 06, 2009, 08:26:15 PM »
Multipouncing in Eberron Takes about 2 minutes to load on a fast connection.  If you're still on dial-up, I suggest bringing a book.   :p
Whatever it is that qualifies 2 minutes as fast connection... Say hello to Zimbabwe for me.

Handy Links

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #941 on: December 06, 2009, 08:27:43 PM »
Yeah, that took all of a 2 nanoseconds to load, so I wonder...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #942 on: December 06, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »
2 seconds... I could have routed through a HAM radio ethernet set up in under 2 minutes.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #943 on: December 06, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Multipouncing in Eberron Takes about 2 minutes to load on a fast connection.  If you're still on dial-up, I suggest bringing a book.   :p
Whatever it is that qualifies 2 minutes as fast connection... Say hello to Zimbabwe for me.
Sometimes the internet archive has slowdowns.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #944 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
Yeah, that took all of a 2 nanoseconds to load, so I wonder...
It is entirely possible that my internetz hiccupped as it opened.  I couldn't tell for sure, and thought it'd be nicer to include the comment that it might take a while to load.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #945 on: December 17, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »
Has anyone considered what a warforged artificer could do with alter self and astral constructs?

It's a build-your-own-combat-form spell!
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #946 on: December 17, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
Problem: Nearly all astral construct abilities are Extraordinary. And Alter Self voids all Extraordinary abilities that are not from class levels.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #947 on: December 17, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
Gives you natural attacks, racial bonus feats (which all of the feat-based menu abilities are, given that ACs don't have Int scores), flight, swimming speeds, and all the goodies such as natural armor and DR.

[edit] What about using the item alteration infusion to give yourself Luck, Competence, Insight, Dodge, and even Natural Armor bonuses to Intelligence via Tomes of Clear Thought?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:20:07 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #948 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:01 AM »
What about using the item alteration infusion to give yourself Luck, Competence, Insight, Dodge, and even Natural Armor bonuses to Intelligence via Tomes of Clear Thought?

I'm sure someone is shortly going to explain why that doesn't work, but you sir have just made my day.  :lmao

« Reply #949 on: December 18, 2009, 12:19:02 AM »
Gives you natural attacks, racial bonus feats (which all of the feat-based menu abilities are, given that ACs don't have Int scores), flight, swimming speeds, and all the goodies such as natural armor and DR.

[edit] What about using the item alteration infusion to give yourself Luck, Competence, Insight, Dodge, and even Natural Armor bonuses to Intelligence via Tomes of Clear Thought?
Ah, the other direction. Still, you would not get the DR, considering that DR/magic is supernatural. Plus, without some method of circumvention, you'd only have one B or two A abilities at any one time.

As to your edit, well...hmm. I'd thought that there was a general rule against this, but perhaps not. It may be expensive without mitigation/cheese, but it sounds useful. Keep in mind that it can only grant certain bonus types, however; not all types can be applied to ability scores.

You still have circumstance, competence, enhancement, insight, luck, and morale for certain. Alchemical, racial, and size bonuses are in various locations along the Maybe Continuum.

I've still this nagging feeling that it doesn't work, but I can't think of why.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #950 on: December 18, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »

Ah, the other direction. Still, you would not get the DR, considering that DR/magic is supernatural. Plus, without some method of circumvention, you'd only have one B or two A abilities at any one time.

As to your edit, well...hmm. I'd thought that there was a general rule against this, but perhaps not. It may be expensive without mitigation/cheese, but it sounds useful. Keep in mind that it can only grant certain bonus types, however; not all types can be applied to ability scores.

You still have circumstance, competence, enhancement, insight, luck, and morale for certain. Alchemical, racial, and size bonuses are in various locations along the Maybe Continuum.

I've still this nagging feeling that it doesn't work, but I can't think of why.

Probably because the Tome of Clear Thought doesn't apply into any of the cathegories that would allow the infusion to work, but I'm not sure of that myself.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #951 on: December 18, 2009, 12:58:25 AM »
The only bonus types that you can't change (to or from) are sacred and profane.

As for "only one A or two B menu abilities," there are 5 HD constructs that gain extra abilities from Boost Construct. Just think about how many they get from shapers with the constructor class...

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

« Reply #952 on: December 18, 2009, 01:00:40 AM »
Not quite...but come to think of it, we are effecting a temporary change on a permanent effect. So what happens when the temporary change runs out? (This is similar to my argument on why Mirror Move + DCFS wouldn't work, though there I argued that a permanent change on a temporary effect was improper.)

« Reply #953 on: December 18, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
The only bonus types that you can't change (to or from) are sacred and profane.
Not sure who you're responding to, but some of the bonus types do have limitations on what they can apply to. Dodge, armor, and shield, for instance, apply only to AC; resistance applies only to saving throws.

As for "only one A or two B menu abilities," there are 5 HD constructs that gain extra abilities from Boost Construct. Just think about how many they get from shapers with the constructor class...
That's not a product of the astral construct so much as the manifester making them, I'd say. The rules don't explicitly prohibit this, I suppose, but it's as suspect as shapechanging into a creature whose ability scores have been enhanced with inherent bonuses. It might fly in high TO, but anywhere else...

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #954 on: December 18, 2009, 08:49:49 AM »
Not quite...but come to think of it, we are effecting a temporary change on a permanent effect. So what happens when the temporary change runs out? (This is similar to my argument on why Mirror Move + DCFS wouldn't work, though there I argued that a permanent change on a temporary effect was improper.)

Actually, the effect is both instantaneous and permanent. This means it can't be dispelled. I believe the default for such things in D&D is to ignore the temporary effect.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #955 on: December 20, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Take a warforged with Item Familiar (Fist) after enhancing your warforged slam attack with a +1 enhancement bonus, then use Item Familiar to hit it with the Burning ability. Anything hit by your slam must make a Reflex save or catch fire, and it gives you a +2 to your Initiative checks. After that, add the manyfanged enhancement for 4x the damage and 4x the Reflex saves. Possibly 4x the Initiative bonuses, too.

Not as abusive as it could be, but still nice.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #956 on: December 20, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
Take a warforged with Item Familiar (Fist) after enhancing your warforged slam attack with a +1 enhancement bonus, then use Item Familiar to hit it with the Burning ability. Anything hit by your slam must make a Reflex save or catch fire, and it gives you a +2 to your Initiative checks. After that, add the manyfanged enhancement for 4x the damage and 4x the Reflex saves. Possibly 4x the Initiative bonuses, too.

"Manyfanged"? ???
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #957 on: December 20, 2009, 05:00:42 PM »

"Manyfanged"? ???
It's an enhancement lifted from a dagger in Serpent Kingdoms that causes the business end of the weapon to split into 4 phantom weapons, which allows your weapon to be 4x more effective. This means you get 4x the damage on any given strike.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #958 on: December 20, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »

"Manyfanged"? ???
It's an enhancement lifted from a dagger in Serpent Kingdoms that causes the business end of the weapon to split into 4 phantom weapons, which allows your weapon to be 4x more effective. This means you get 4x the damage on any given strike.
Ah, Serpent Kingdoms, you rascal. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #959 on: December 20, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
Is there RAW to back up lifting enchantments like that? Manyfanged and Vaulting are the only one I ever seen it done on...