Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 269063 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #260 on: October 29, 2008, 10:47:09 PM »
Yes, there is, though I totally forget where it's from.

JaronK
Yeah. Me neither and I am AFB right now.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #261 on: October 29, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »
Isn't there also an item called troll gut rope or something to that effect? I seem to recall it works similarly.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #262 on: October 29, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »
Troll Gut Rope is in Arms and Equipment Guide.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2008, 11:36:41 PM »
There's a Spool of Endless Rope in the MIC but it's actually misnamed since it only goes to 500ft.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #264 on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »
Troll Gut Rope is in the MiC. It is a 50ft rope that can extend to 350ft once per day.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #265 on: October 30, 2008, 04:29:39 AM »
Yeah. Some weird-arsed reading of bits and pieces of the MM seem to indicate that all bonus feats are the same and bonus feats ignore pre-requisites unless otherwise indicated. I think it is just somebody with a beef against the system trying to creatively interprete things to make it look worse than it is. Perhaps his job application to WotC got rejected.
And if you believe that the sentence doesn't apply to player bonus feats, then bonus feats never ignore prerequisites unless they specifically say so, which a rogue's doesn't. And on this interpretation, rogue has no application to charm/diplomancy + Fling Ally + Distant Shot. Happy now?
I know gameology-fu.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »
Happy now?
No. Cook my dinner already.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
Festering Anger

1st - Cancer Mage (or whatever its called) is 6th level
2nd - just heal that ability damage, do-able at 1st level
3rd - pump the bonus spells of an Illumian
4th - Tsuyo's Martial Monk can take Epic Leadership and get infinite followers
5th - PHB2 ability rebuilding lets the other scores go to above Epic / near A.H. levels

1 has the Cure Disease weakness
2 has auto-hit and auto-kill
3 has infinite spells
4 has perhaps a DvR of 19, other dieties are restricted for the followers
5 gets AH skills, hitpoints, and Diplomacy checks.

Fun.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: November 07, 2008, 11:52:17 PM »
A new use for nanytes that I found. If you can somehow get your nanytes to count as your animal companion and/or familiar, or find some way of getting Bite of the Weretiger to affect all allies within 30 feet, you can use your nanytes to power your War Master's Charge, each one of them power attacking for at least 5 damage, and each one recieving an arbitrarily high bonus to hit (equal to you base attack bonus). You could take leadership and all it's derivatives, shrink all your followers down, then use war master's charge. That's, like, 100 x 25 damage, with no AoO for charging(irrelevant anyhow), get them to use the high bonus to power power attack and/or stone power. instant awesome death by mosquito swarm.

Of course leadership is the really broken part but we all know that.

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2008, 06:46:41 AM »
A new use for nanytes that I found. If you can somehow get your nanytes to count as your animal companion and/or familiar, or find some way of getting Bite of the Weretiger to affect all allies within 30 feet, you can use your nanytes to power your War Master's Charge, each one of them power attacking for at least 5 damage, and each one recieving an arbitrarily high bonus to hit (equal to you base attack bonus). You could take leadership and all it's derivatives, shrink all your followers down, then use war master's charge. That's, like, 100 x 25 damage, with no AoO for charging(irrelevant anyhow), get them to use the high bonus to power power attack and/or stone power. instant awesome death by mosquito swarm.

And how will those 100 be able to get near the target or how will they not obstruct eachother and you? -> EDIT: never mind those then, except the question for decent boni to hit ofcourse.
And dirty trick hb really looks for actual RULES to break. :P
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:52:19 AM by Vidar »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2008, 06:49:59 AM »

And how will those 100 be able to get near the target? :P
Or how will they not obstruct eachother and you?
And dirty trick hb really looks for actual RULES to break. :P

As much as I agree that those are lame (as in: they depend on made-up rules, or rules that don't exist) tricks, Warmaster's Charge explicitly states that you and your allies don't block each other for purposes of this charge.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:52:41 AM by GawainBS »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
I was just checking the FAQ, and I found a way to obtain early tarrasque wildshaping, or any other thing with a foolish amount of hit dice.

Now whip out the Errata for complete adventurer, and you'll find out that Nature's Warrior, Warshaper, Master of Many Forms all stack with druid for determining HD limits. In fact, I think Daggerspell Shaper might too, as does Arcane Hierophant (Races of the Wild). If you start with precocious apprentice, then grab some bloodlines, you end up with

:D

Wizard1/druidx/Master of Many Forms1/Nature's Warrior 1/Warshaper1/Arcane Hierophant1/Strong Bloodline 3

Giving up 9th level (and possibly 8th level, haven't calculated yet, however, you can achieve the brokenness of this before level 10, giving you access to 16hd more wildshape than you're supposed to. Can you say Dire Polar Bear? Get an item of permanent Enhance Wild Shape (comes to be pretty expensive), and rock out with Battlebriar (although I can't recall if the levels stack for determining what forms you have access to). Go MoMF the rest of the way (I believe you can put all 10 levels in), and just rock the FUCK out with 36 HD dragons.

thoughts?

EDIT:

RIP supermount.

EDIT2: Wow, WotC allowed Warmage to become the new Most Broken Class EverTM

If a warmage (CAr 10) gains access to all the cleric
spells though the rainbow servant prestige class (CD 54),
does he really have all those spells to choose from each time
he casts a spell?
If a warmage takes ten levels of rainbow servant, he adds
all of the spells from the cleric spell list to his own spell list and
can choose from all of them when he casts spells.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2008, 03:48:36 PM »
I like the Bloodline stuff.
I bet Phoenix00 would too.

What are you saying about your EDIT of the idea?
iirc - that "nerf" applies to the animal companion (etc) directly, not the class level derived abilities.
Example: Level 1 druid has class ability X ; Druid 1/Bloodline 3 has 1st level class ability of level (1+3) ; but not class ability level 4. So the 1st level ability is improved, but the higher level ability isn't available til you get to that higher level.

Warmage ...  ??? ... rocks ... what ?!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »
I was just checking the FAQ, and I found a way to obtain early tarrasque wildshaping, or any other thing with a foolish amount of hit dice.

Now whip out the Errata for complete adventurer, and you'll find out that Nature's Warrior, Warshaper, Master of Many Forms all stack with druid for determining HD limits. In fact, I think Daggerspell Shaper might too, as does Arcane Hierophant (Races of the Wild). If you start with precocious apprentice, then grab some bloodlines, you end up with

Wizard1/druidx/Master of Many Forms1/Nature's Warrior 1/Warshaper1/Arcane Hierophant1/Strong Bloodline 3

Giving up 9th level (and possibly 8th level, haven't calculated yet, however, you can achieve the brokenness of this before level 10, giving you access to 16hd more wildshape than you're supposed to. Can you say Dire Polar Bear? Get an item of permanent Enhance Wild Shape (comes to be pretty expensive), and rock out with Battlebriar (although I can't recall if the levels stack for determining what forms you have access to). Go MoMF the rest of the way (I believe you can put all 10 levels in), and just rock the FUCK out with 36 HD dragons.

thoughts?

EDIT:

RIP supermount.

EDIT2: Wow, WotC allowed Warmage to become the new Most Broken Class EverTM

If a warmage (CAr 10) gains access to all the cleric
spells though the rainbow servant prestige class (CD 54),
does he really have all those spells to choose from each time
he casts a spell?
If a warmage takes ten levels of rainbow servant, he adds
all of the spells from the cleric spell list to his own spell list and
can choose from all of them when he casts spells.

Don't forget Divine Minion and LA buyback ;)

Also, I feel the sudden urge to play a Warmage now :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:33:00 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #274 on: November 08, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
So Warmages do not in fact blow goats for pocket change?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #275 on: November 08, 2008, 06:09:23 PM »
No. Now they blow couatls for ultimate cosmic power. Whatever.

Also, if it works for Warmages, it works for Beguilers and Dread Necromancers too (although DNs may find qualifying for RS difficult).
I know gameology-fu.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #276 on: November 08, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »
No. Now they blow couatls for ultimate cosmic power. Whatever.

Also, if it works for Warmages, it works for Beguilers and Dread Necromancers too (although DNs may find qualifying for RS difficult).

Dude, they went from goats to draconic serpent things. They're moving up in the world.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #277 on: November 08, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

Warshaper doesn't, actually. I'm pretty sure Daggerspell Shaper should, but it doesn't.

I also think you need extensive trickery (like a Lore-dragon-kobold) to enter Arcane Hierophant with only 1 arcane class level. It's still a nice trick (and another reason for me to go  :wall at the mention of bloodlines).
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #278 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:38 AM »
RIP supermount.

I noticed that one a while back, but the original Supermount works fine.  It's the Ubermount, my creation, that the FAQ kills off.

Sadly.

JaronK

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #279 on: November 09, 2008, 12:55:22 AM »
I seem to recall an Uberermount kicking around somewhere; I'll poke about for it.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?