Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 268699 times)

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #420 on: January 12, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »
I mean the further get up of the trollblooded cheese. Making yourself immune to fire/acid and such, so that you never take damage.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #421 on: January 12, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
My bad...

Spellcasting, templates (Half-Dragon, Acidborn) etc. are some of the basics...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #422 on: January 12, 2009, 01:22:26 PM »
Not quite sure if this works, but if it does then it belongs here. Basically, one needs only make a shadowcraft mage's heightened silent image be heightened to effective level 11 (i'm sure there's a way, I just can't think of it now), so as to use shadow illusion to mimic 10th lvl spells.

Unless I'm just off my rocker, it says in the SRD (since I don't have the actual book) that epic spells count as 10th lvl spells, and epic spells are also sorted into the 8 schools, like evocation and conjuration...
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #423 on: January 12, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »
Not quite sure if this works, but if it does then it belongs here. Basically, one needs only make a shadowcraft mage's heightened silent image be heightened to effective level 11 (i'm sure there's a way, I just can't think of it now), so as to use shadow illusion to mimic 10th lvl spells.

Unless I'm just off my rocker, it says in the SRD (since I don't have the actual book) that epic spells count as 10th lvl spells, and epic spells are also sorted into the 8 schools, like evocation and conjuration...

Wow, casting Epic Spells pre-epic. Is there anything SCM can't do?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #424 on: January 12, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »

Wow, casting Epic Spells pre-epic. Is there anything SCM can't do?
See why kids like Cinnamon Toast Crunch! :P
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: January 12, 2009, 02:51:35 PM »
Damnit, Agita, I wanted to post that :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #426 on: January 12, 2009, 07:27:12 PM »

Actually, you can't heighten it to 11, only 10 (Earth Spell).  Note that Heighten Spell does say it caps out at 9th level, regardless of your slots... Earth Spell is the only thing that will break that cap, but only by one.  What you can do is cast 9th level spells in 8th level slots via a combination of Earth Spell and Easy Metamagic (Heighten Spell).  Heighten Silent Image to 9th level (it's in an 8th level slot due to EM), then Earth Spell brings it to 10th level, so you can cast any 9th level Evocation or most of the Conjurations.

JaronK

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #427 on: January 12, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
So there's nothing else that can make for that last push to effective spell level 11 pre-epic? Ah well, even in post epic, one can take that improved heighten or whatever it's called and still get far more epic spells out in a single day than usual.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »
So there's nothing else that can make for that last push to effective spell level 11 pre-epic? Ah well, even in post epic, one can take that improved heighten or whatever it's called and still get far more epic spells out in a single day than usual.

Does versatile spellcasting work?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #429 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »
Combining it with some form of circle magic could work...

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #430 on: January 13, 2009, 03:17:01 AM »
What of Sanctum Spell?

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: January 13, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
As I recall, sanctum spell only raises the effective level of the spell in a small area, so there's still that limitation.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #432 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »
As I recall, sanctum spell only raises the effective level of the spell in a small area, so there's still that limitation.

Lessee... If the effects of Sanctum spell last after you leave the area, the only problem would be that you'd be limited to epic spells that are A) Good because of their huge area (Verdigris Tsunami, for example), B) REALLY good buffs (don't know many) or C) stuff that you can afford wasting some time getting ready.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »

Lessee... If the effects of Sanctum spell last after you leave the area, the only problem would be that you'd be limited to epic spells that are A) Good because of their huge area (Verdigris Tsunami, for example), B) REALLY good buffs (don't know many) or C) stuff that you can afford wasting some time getting ready.
Epic Divinations. Find out enough stuff to create a description that only fits 2-5 creatrures in the multiverse, then Gate for that description. After a few tries, you'll get your opponent where you want them without invoking the specific individual clause.
I know gameology-fu.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #434 on: January 17, 2009, 07:17:32 AM »
I will be monitoring this thread for future dirt tricks. I invite everyone to check out my Dirty Handbook Fixes thread which gives the other side of the story :) Click here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3288.0

In an unrelated note:

InnaBinder if you're looking for your "Uberermount" check the sig and see my "way more than supermount" build.

Sexy maths Callix. You sound like your applied and pure (sorta like me). Please tell me you are not in undergrad...

BTW The Bloodlines stuff does NOT work the way it was posted for either Wildshape HD NOR the supermount stuff. Check my sig for the bloodlines link in the first post's threads collections.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #435 on: January 17, 2009, 08:03:32 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately the FAQ nerfed the ubermount bloodlines trick.  Very annoying.

JaronK

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #436 on: January 17, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
Let me repost this one here: If you are a changeling with some way to treat your special mount as a familiar (there are a few), you can get a crazy-powerful shapeshifter.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #437 on: January 20, 2009, 07:16:43 AM »
So about the gaining casting through Polymorph thing, what forms are there that have spellcasting of their own (so not SLA's, actual spells)?

There's those 2 Hobgoblin subspecies in MM5, as wel as the Kuo-Toa one;
Ethergaunts in Fiend Folio...

EDIT: Found the Sylph and the Spell Weaver in MM2.

What more is out there?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:36:40 AM by BowenSilverclaw »

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #438 on: January 20, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
Angels.

Handy Links

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #439 on: January 20, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »
Damn, knew I forgot about somethin' basic. Thanks, Tshern :)

Anything else, guys?