Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 268690 times)

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #380 on: January 09, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »

Gotta love it when your DM goes Rule 0 on your ass.

My DM's argument versus this one: "You can't do that! The Deck of Many Things is an Artifact!"

There is some ground for the decision though.

The Deck of Many Things has very specific rules for ohow you are intended to interact with the drawing of cards. It's not unreasonable at all to have the Deck's own artifact class magic that causes those rules win out over the magic of a much less powerful item. The Deck simply won't let you draw the card of your choice, even with the Haversack helping out.

Of course, if would be better to sort it out through a CL check by the items, but what's the effective CL of an artifact?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #381 on: January 09, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
Over 9000

Wouldn't it be based off of the CL/DvR of the deity that crafted it? (Going out on a limb here--this is unfamiliar territory.)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #382 on: January 09, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
Another Deck of Many Things trick:  The Augery spell.  Simply fill up all your spell slots of a day (do this on a downtime day) with Augery, which is a 2nd level spell.  Now cast Augery, and ask "If I draw the top card of the deck, would that be a good thing?"  If you get Weal, cast the spell again, this time asking "If I draw the top card of the deck and then draw the next top card of the deck, would that be a good thing?"  Continue until you get Weal and Woe or just Woe.  When you get that, ask about skipping one card and drawing the second card instead at that step. 

The result ensures totally safe drawing from the Deck.  And just in case the DM wants to claim you can't manipulate the deck, point out that certain feats and abilities (like Wild Touch) specifically reference doing so as an example of how they work.

JaronK

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #383 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
Another Deck of Many Things trick:  The Augery spell.  Simply fill up all your spell slots of a day (do this on a downtime day) with Augery, which is a 2nd level spell.  Now cast Augery, and ask "If I draw the top card of the deck, would that be a good thing?"  If you get Weal, cast the spell again, this time asking "If I draw the top card of the deck and then draw the next top card of the deck, would that be a good thing?"  Continue until you get Weal and Woe or just Woe.  When you get that, ask about skipping one card and drawing the second card instead at that step. 

The result ensures totally safe drawing from the Deck.  And just in case the DM wants to claim you can't manipulate the deck, point out that certain feats and abilities (like Wild Touch) specifically reference doing so as an example of how they work.

JaronK

Binder with Astaroth or Cabiri. Divination at will.  :fu
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: January 10, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
Needs more optimization. What superpowerful spells with stupendously long casting times do we have? Genesis, for sure, but that is hardly a good combat spell.

Major Creation.  Create insane amounts of Black Lotus Poison as an immediate action... that would be good in combat, as enemies would suddenly have to take hundreds of DC 20 fort saves... even failing only on a 1 they're dead.

But really, Anima Mage does this better because you don't have to be almost dying.

JaronK
What level does Anima Mage get that ability at? I seem to recall its the capstone ability... This only requires a single level of Sanctified One and, as shown in the tentative build of mine, works awesomely well with Ur-Priest. Your Anima Mage point is valid though.

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #385 on: January 10, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
Needs more optimization. What superpowerful spells with stupendously long casting times do we have? Genesis, for sure, but that is hardly a good combat spell.

Major Creation.  Create insane amounts of Black Lotus Poison as an immediate action... that would be good in combat, as enemies would suddenly have to take hundreds of DC 20 fort saves... even failing only on a 1 they're dead.

But really, Anima Mage does this better because you don't have to be almost dying.

JaronK
What level does Anima Mage get that ability at? I seem to recall its the capstone ability... This only requires a single level of Sanctified One and, as shown in the tentative build of mine, works awesomely well with Ur-Priest. Your Anima Mage point is valid though.

Anima Mage gains it as the capstone, 1/day.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #386 on: January 10, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
You can't be a sanctified one if you hate the gods  :mad that's the only thing left that comes even REMOTELY close to balancing Ur-Priest is that you can't combine it with deity specific things like sanctified one and ruby knight vindicator.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: January 10, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »
The hypercognition power should tell you exactly what cards to draw to get the best benefit for your money.

Wish, miracle, and reality revision can 'undo misfortune,' so you have one readied to go off to immediately undo the drawing of all of the cards that bestow misfortune on you.

As far as deific creators of the DoMT, it's a minor artifact, and as such, neither requires a deity to create, nor is unique. The mortal magic needed to create it is lost, but it has a CL of 20, so it's not like it's even an epic item.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: January 10, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »
*jots down specifics to rape another campaign*

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: January 10, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »
You can't be a sanctified one if you hate the gods  :mad that's the only thing left that comes even REMOTELY close to balancing Ur-Priest is that you can't combine it with deity specific things like sanctified one and ruby knight vindicator.
Why not? You don't have to worship the deity, nowhere does it say that you do.

Handy Links

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #390 on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »

Yeah, it's a capstone (level 15 at the earliest) and once per day... it's just that you don't have to make yourself so vulnerable to use it.  I don't like the idea of getting down to -1 hitpoints intentionally, you know?

JaronK

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: January 10, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »
Why not? You don't have to worship the deity, nowhere does it say that you do.
[spoiler]"Sanctified Ability: At 1st, 3rd, and 5th level, you can
choose a sanctified ability corresponding to your deity from
the accompanying table. Sanctified abilities can be extraordinary,
spell-like, or supernatural, as designated in their
individual descriptions. If a sanctified ability is followed by
an asterisk (*), you can select it as many times as you wish.
Each time you choose it, the number of times per day that
you can use that ability increases by one."
Complete Champion, page 100. Emphasis mine.[/spoiler]

Yeah, it's a capstone (level 15 at the earliest) and once per day... it's just that you don't have to make yourself so vulnerable to use it.  I don't like the idea of getting down to -1 hitpoints intentionally, you know?

JaronK
Just have one of your buddies standing nearby with a bucket of water to stick your head into...
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: January 10, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

JaronK
It's a one level dip, as opposed to taking the entire PrC and a class level before that. And that still requires an early entry feat. Isn't there a divine adaptation of Anima Mage though? Twice a day is better than once.

Handy Links

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #393 on: January 10, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
Yeah, there's a divine adaptation available.  I just find it scary to drop down to negative HP!  No safety buffer that way... so I'd prefer Anima Mage.  It's not like it's a bad PrC.

Of course, if you want to go crazy, be a Warforged Anima Mage and bind Buer for fast healing.  IIRC Warforged don't die when they go negative, they just deactivate... so if you do end up at -20, just wait 10 or so rounds and you're back up again.

JaronK

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #394 on: January 10, 2009, 08:21:15 PM »
Of course, if you want to go crazy, be a Warforged Anima Mage and bind Buer for fast healing.  IIRC Warforged don't die when they go negative, they just deactivate... so if you do end up at -20, just wait 10 or so rounds and you're back up again.
Nope, they still die at -10. They just don't bleed to death all by themselves.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: January 10, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »
Yeah, there's a divine adaptation available.  I just find it scary to drop down to negative HP!  No safety buffer that way... so I'd prefer Anima Mage.  It's not like it's a bad PrC.

JaronK
Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle with both Ur-Priest and Anima Mage? No dying for this guy.

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #396 on: January 10, 2009, 08:37:55 PM »

JaronK
Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle with both Ur-Priest and Anima Mage? No dying for this guy.

Heck yeah, especially if you can make the spell into a Su ability somehow. No dispel for you, GM!

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #397 on: January 10, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »
Nope, they still die at -10. They just don't bleed to death all by themselves.

I admit, I'm not fully familiar with them... one of the players in my group was sure that plan would work, but it's quite possible he's wrong.

JaronK

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: January 10, 2009, 11:06:33 PM »
Keep in mind that most of my tricks WILL fly in many standard games, so they're actually useful for a lot of people. :D

The penalties of the Nightsighted trait and the light sensitivity special quality of kobolds and drow can be negated by a 10 gp item from Sandstorm (sun lenses). Likewise, the Vulnerable flaw + Luck of Heroes nets a +0 AC (-1 from Vulnerable, +1 from LoH), and +1 to all saving throws (even better if you're a halfling).

Necropolitan characters should seriously consider taking the Evolved Undead template, also from Libris Mortis. +2 Str, +2 Cha, one level 5-6 spell-like ability 1/day, and fast healing 3. It's +1 LA, and is one of the few sources of LA that is very much worth it, even if you can't do LA buyoff (at least if you aren't a dread necromancer and can't do negative energy bursts at will). Very nice to have at early levels, when it's hard to heal and easy to die. If you CAN do LA buyoff, you should take the template multiple times, because it stacks. Also, the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat grants you your Cha bonus to your hit points, rather than your Con, so grab this to get a high HP score. Sorcerous necropolitans should have as many HP as the party's barbarian, if not more.

Any psionic character worth his salt (especially psychic warriors) should snatch up psychic reformation in order to nab regular item crafting feats as well as the Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan feats (from the Eberron Campaign Setting). You can have exactly the items you need, when you need them (which is hugely needed for martial characters), and can get approximately 260% more magical psionic items than you would without them. Even if you're a level behind, this can increase your power considerably more than you'd think, and the XP Gravy Train means you can catch back up in just a few encounters. Especially useful for characters that are higher level from character creation.

A slightly less powerful, but less resource intensive, variation on the previous entry is great for high-Int characters. Even without ranks in Craft, it's easy enough to triple your gp value as a first level character, if you 1.) take 10 on Craft checks, 2.) have an assistant or two (+2 for Aid Another, which is a perfectly reasonable function for an unseen servant, familiar, or psicrystal), 4.) have (non-masterwork) tools to prevent penalties (masterwork is better but not necessary), and 5.) have spells or class abilities that grant bonuses to crafting (see the factotum's Cunning Knowledge ability and the guidance spell). A 1st level character that specializes in such things gets a 27 on his Craft checks (take 10 + 4 ranks + 3 Int + 4 Aid Another + 2 MW tools + 3 Skill Focus + 1 cantrip). You can make some nice masterwork equipment for far less money, and you can even use Crafting to create the masterwork tools used to make the rest of your items. If you have the right race or use alter self (via a feat) you can even get some racial bonuses to toss on as well.

Heck, any character with that level of dedication can pump most any skill up to that level. Great for bards with Bardic Music and characters with Iaijutsu Focus (awesome for rogues to combine with sneak attack). Toss on some +2/+2 feats and a custom soulmeld or two and you've got a sky-high bonus at level 1.

Compression and reduce person are great for Small characters, especially spellcasters (who are the ones that can get spells anyway). Note the benefits granted by Tiny (and Diminutive) creatures above and beyond what Medium-turned-Small creatures get.

Likewise, expansion and enlarge person are better for Large creatures (or creatures that are treated as Large, such as half-giants), since they get the benefits of being Huge (or Gargantuan), which are above and beyond what a Medium character gets from becoming Large (or Huge, as the case may be). There are times when +1 LA can be worth it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #399 on: January 10, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
I think FMI is Int, not Charisma.

Also, it's not really a dirty trick if the DM doesn't throw the DMG at you and put his head in his hands and cry! 

Still, for crafting, Magecraft is a wonderful spell.  1st level, grants a +5 to a single craft check.  I use it with all my Factotums and Wizards to craft whatever mundane gear they might need.  I don't consider that a "dirty trick" though... it's just a logical course of action that makes perfect sense. 

JaronK