Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition  (Read 115870 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Singing Tesla Coil Edition
« Reply #460 on: July 18, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »
A130 A phyllactery ... if you're the lich that owns it  :P

Q131 Wizard or Druid, which would you pick? Give reasons if possible.
A131: Depends on the level you're starting at.

Q133: I seem to remember a thread called something like Dead/Death Level Builds, detailing optimized level 1 characters, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone have a link?

EDIT: Q134: Are there any Ranger ACF's or Variants that trade their Combat Style bonus feats for something different?

Thanks,
~Bowen
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:09:17 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #461 on: July 18, 2010, 03:44:05 PM »
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #463 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
?134: Wild shape ranger!
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #464 on: July 18, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
Anything else? (yes, I know it's ridiculously awesome, it just doesn't fit for this particular character)

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #465 on: July 18, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
Anything else? (yes, I know it's ridiculously awesome, it just doesn't fit for this particular character)

If your build doesn't need armor or shields, then:

Exchange your Combat Style -> Druid wildshape, Barbarian Fast movement.
Exchange Druid wildshape -> Monk's: AC, Fast movement;  Ranger's: Favored Enemy, swift tracker, Track
Exchange Monk's: AC, Fast movement -> Barbarian's DR

Net result:
Barbarian fast movement, DR
Track
Favored Enemy
Lose Armor and Shield proficiency

Depending on the DM, you might be able to retrain Track, and get another list of Favored Enemies... if not, you'd still get the Barbarian's Fast movement and DR.

If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #466 on: July 18, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
Dragon magazine printed several variant combat styles:

Bear-Wrestling: Improved unarmed strike, improved grapple, stunning fist
Mounted-Combat: Ride-by attack, spirited charge, trample
Piscator: Exotic weapon proficiency (net), improved trip, improved critical
Strong-Arm: Power attack, improved sunder, great cleave
Throwing: Quick draw, point blank shot, far shot

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #467 on: July 18, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
Q 135

I have a Dragonfire Adept (ECL 6) in the final stages of character building. Right now, I've got one rank in Decipher Script. I think it would be kind of neat to be able to decipher stuff (especially since I'm already the knowledge monkey), but don't really want to sink many more skill points into it. What ways are there to either pump my Decioher Script mod enough to be able to reliably fulfill its function or to bypass it entirely? In order of preferecne, equipment>feats>>class levels. (Yeah, I'm aware of MW items, but that's not a significant enough boost at this stage yet - I first need to get close to the DC 20-30 range.)
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #468 on: July 18, 2010, 08:33:44 PM »
Q 135

I have a Dragonfire Adept (ECL 6) in the final stages of character building. Right now, I've got one rank in Decipher Script. I think it would be kind of neat to be able to decipher stuff (especially since I'm already the knowledge monkey), but don't really want to sink many more skill points into it. What ways are there to either pump my Decioher Script mod enough to be able to reliably fulfill its function or to bypass it entirely? In order of preferecne, equipment>feats>>class levels. (Yeah, I'm aware of MW items, but that's not a significant enough boost at this stage yet - I first need to get close to the DC 20-30 range.)

Drow house insignia (races of faerun 173): of guidance of the avatar?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:03 PM »
Q 135

Drow house insignia (races of faerun 173): of guidance of the avatar?
Eberron game, so no Faerun... but I might be able to put it in a minor schema or eternal wand. Anything that doesn't make me feel quite as cheesy? :D
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

A_Shadow_of_Life

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #470 on: July 18, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
Dragon Blood Spell Pact (Dragons of Faerun).

Q137: My question is, using a scroll, is it possible to swap spells with.. say.. a Trapsmith? If so.. some decently yummy spells there. Greater Dispel Magic, Stoneskin, Haste. Others, but those stood out plenty in my eyes

Q138: Also, where is Swift Haste from?

Q139: Also, does Arcane Disciple add the spells to your known or do you have to pick them?

EDIT: I put a 5 instead of a 3 o.O
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:51:11 PM by A_Shadow_of_Life »
:lovefirefox

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #471 on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
Q 135

A 135:
Draconic Aura - Insight.

Decipher Script, Knowledge and Spellcraft. Same book even.
Especially since you're also the Knowledge monkey.

Though you probably already have picked this up, it's mandatory to mention.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #472 on: July 18, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »
Q136 I'm desperate to remove one point of armor check penalty from an armor, how can I do it. Presumably http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030323a Icemail is masterwork already im guessing xD if not, woohoo.

Alternatively, some way to get Light Armor Proficiency without spending a feat or level (already considered heroics as a last resort)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:41:24 PM by Takanaki »

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #473 on: July 18, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »
Q136 I'm desperate to remove one point of armor check penalty from an armor, how can I do it. Presumably http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030323a Icemail is masterwork already im guessing xD if not, woohoo.

Alternatively, some way to get Light Armor Proficiency without spending a feat or level (already considered heroics as a last resort)

semi-Answer-ish 136:
Do you want a way to reduce Icemail Armor with 1 ACP or any armor with 1?
Leafweave from Races of the Wild works otherwise, but not with Icemail Armor.
Though -1 ACP isn't that much to stomach, IMO.

And yes, any magical armor is masterworked before becoming enchanted.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #474 on: July 19, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »
Q136 I'm desperate to remove one point of armor check penalty from an armor, how can I do it.

Nimbleness (Magic of Faerun) is a +1 special ability that increases max dex bonus by 2 and decreses armor check penalty by 1.  

Hellforged armor (DMGII) costs an extra 1,000 gp, has an armor check pernalty 1 lower than normal, a maximum dexterity bonus 1 lower than normal, and an arcane spell failure change 5% higher than normal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:12:52 AM by Maat_Mons »

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #475 on: July 19, 2010, 12:42:01 AM »
A138
Spell Compendium, pg.110

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #476 on: July 19, 2010, 01:24:17 AM »
?140 anyone know of any templates that boost intelligence, preferably that have less than 4 LA, and that work on humanoids.

?141 any have a link to the race handbook, I can't seem to find it...

Thanks
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #477 on: July 19, 2010, 02:26:34 AM »
A138: Spell Compendium, pg.110

Also Complete Adventurer, page 151. 

?140 anyone know of any templates that boost intelligence, preferably that have less than 4 LA, and that work on humanoids.

Phrenic (Expanded Psionics Handbook) is LA +2 and gives int +2, wis +2, cha +4, and a bunch of psi-like abilities. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #478 on: July 19, 2010, 02:44:48 AM »
Q 142 How does Flurry of Blows work for monks that cross-class?

Q 143 Where can I find information on epic CR traps, or is a CR 10 trap good enough to slow down epic characters? It's the highest I could find on the SRD.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #479 on: July 19, 2010, 02:50:32 AM »
A CR 10 trap isn't even enough to slow down a regular CL 10 party if one of them is a necromancer!

The Epic Level Handbook has suggestions on using obstacles on page 105. However, no specifics on epic traps; it mostly just suggests adding an ad hoc bonus to using big bad monsters in a trap-like arrangement.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!