Author Topic: Character Build Help:Combat Engineer  (Read 15388 times)

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Re: Character Build Help:Combat Engineer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 04:34:04 PM »
Engineer, if your DM will allow it.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »
some things to consider:

Artificer only needs 15 lvls to get all the best goodies
Warblade can do ok with only 15 levels to get all the best goodies

if you wanted something that really synergizes well ... try this:

Silverbrow Human
Psion(Shaper) 10/ Constructor 10// Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Warblade 15// Artificer 15/ Trapsmith 5

Feats that will help:
Monastic Training(Psion)
Tashalatora(Psion)
Carmondine Monk

this gives Everything based on Int ..... with the exception of Artificer(UMD=CHA based)

:D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:08:56 PM by carnivore »

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16:11 PM »

On the other hand, your craft reserve from three of those last five levels is more than the entire cumulative craft reserve in the first fifteen levels of the class. This may be worth bearing in mind.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »

On the other hand, your craft reserve from three of those last five levels is more than the entire cumulative craft reserve in the first fifteen levels of the class. This may be worth bearing in mind.
that is only what you are given for free .... you can have far more if you use Retain Essence on all of your crappy treasure ... if he starts @1st lvl ... he will not miss it at all

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
Lies! 2 bonus feats + 5 CL + getting more than 2 highest level spells + 16,500 xp worth of craft reserve.
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
that is only what you are given for free .... you can have far more if you use Retain Essence on all of your crappy treasure ... if he starts @1st lvl ... he will not miss it at all

This depends on the circumstances of the game and the DM. While it isn't crippling to miss out on that huge chunk of craft reserve, it isn't necessarily trivial.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 07:32:12 PM »
Unfortunately my DM said that he would prefer me not to use any homebrew classes/prestige classes, and that feats would only be open 1 per character and on a reviewed basis.

On a different note, I had forgotten all of the goodies of the constructor prestige class. It would almost remove my need for artificer, and as for not having its craft reserve, I don't think that I will miss it, too much. I could even use the psion's bonus feats for any crafting that I may still want to do. Pairing Constructor and trapsmith, on different progressions would actually fulfill all of my major duties as an engineer, between the psionic creation powers(to make fortifications), the astral constructs to fight with the rest of my party(fulfilling my desire to create, albeit temporary, constructs) and the trapsmith's abilities, I can use my last side for whatever I want. Thanks carnivore for reminding me of constructor :D  What are the two levels of monk for besides int to ac, why not one? And what maneuvers would I want to pick for Warblade, I never really used them before, mostly to my previous DM not allowing it because he didn't own it....
:snip:
if you wanted something that really synergizes well ... try this:

Silverbrow Human
Psion(Shaper) 10/ Constructor 10// Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Warblade 15// Artificer 15/ Trapsmith 5

Feats that will help:
Monastic Training(Psion)
Tashalatora(Psion)
Carmondine Monk
:snip:

I could do something along the lines of: Factotum 15+trapsmith 5// Shaper 10+constructor 10// xxx
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:34:23 PM by geniussavant »
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »
the 2 Monk levels give several Feats ... especially if you use some of the Variant Monk class levels, also you get Evasion

the Manuvers i will post later ... the Martial aspect is similar to this Build:
[spoiler]The Intelligent Unarmed Spanker

type: Tactical,Unarmed AoO
Race: Human
Build Stub: Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Warblade 15

Ability scores: DEX>INT>CON>STR>CHA>WIS
28-PB: 14, 16, 14, 10, 10, 10
32-PB: 16, 16, 14, 10, 10, 10

1.Monk
2.Monk
3.Swashbuckler
4.Swashbuckler
5.Warblade
6.Warblade
7.Swashbuckler
8.Warblade
9.Warblade
10.Warblade
11.Warblade
12.Warblade
13.Warblade
14.Warblade
15.Warblade
16.Warblade
17.Warblade
18.Warblade
19.Warblade
20.Warblade

feats

Improved Unarmed(monk)
Combat Reflexes(monk)
Improved Grapple(monk)
Weapon Finnesse(Swashbuckler)
Unnerving Calm(Warblade)
Blade Meditation(Warblade)
Ironheart(warblade)
Carmondine Monk
Superior Unarmed Strike
2 weapon fighting
Improved 2 weapon fighting
Double Hit
Robilars Gambit
Martial Study(Cloak of Deception,SH2)
Martial Study(Shadow Blink,SH7)

Attributes at 20th lvl
16 Str(base 10 + 6 item)
28 Dex(base 16 + 6 item +1 lvl +5 inherent)
20 Con(base 14 + 6 item)
30 Int(base 16 + 6 item +4 lvls +4 Inherent)
16 Wis(base 10 + 6 item)
16 Cha(base 10 + 6 item)

at 20th lvl......BAB +19

Full Attack
19+9 Dex+ 5 Enhancement(greater magic weapon..or ammulet)

+33/+28/+23/+18
and 2d6 +10 Int +3 Str= 2d6+13 Each
thus when flurry and 2 Wpn fight and imp 2wpn fight...attack bonus is as follows:

+31/+31/+31/+26/+26/+21/+15

and he gets 9 AoOs...which generate 2 attacks for each(Double Hit)....all at:

19+9 Dex+ 5 Enhancement(greater magic weapon..or ammulet) +10 Int(Warblade)
+43/+43...and 2d6+23damage

he gets:

Int to Damage(Unarmed)
Int to AC
Int to Confirm Crits
2xInt to Damage vs Flatfooted/Flanked
Int to Opposed checks(bull rush,trip,etc...)
Int to Attack for AoO
2xInt to Damage for AoO
Dex to Attack
Dex to AC
Dex to Initiative

Good Items he will need:

+5 tome of Dex
+4 tome of Int
+6 belt of Magnificense
Amulet of retribution
Boots of Speed

Manuvers:
Diamond Mind:
Moment of Perfect Clarity
Action Before Thought
Rapid Counter
Pearl of Black Doubt(stance)

Tiger Claw:
Hunters Stance
Wolverine Stance
Wolf Pack Tactics Stance
Pouncing Charge
Dancing Mongoose
Raging Mongoose
Girallons Windmill

Shadow Hand...thru Martial Study
Cloak of Deception
Shadow Blink

The main idea.......a Character who looks unimposing...No weapons, No Spell books,or component pouches....looks like a servant or butler......even without using any Manuvers....just Feats and Class abilities....he is very strong

For combat.....uses Cloak of Deception to go Greater invisible then While in Wolf pack Stance...can attack and Move 5' after each attack...if he uses 2 attacks for 4 opponents...he does an extra 8d6 to each(Girrallons Windmill)...and if they attack him he gets 2 AoO attacks if both hit..he does an extra 8d6 each time because he is still under the efects of Giralllons Windmill.....after he attacks...he uses Shadow Blink to get back to his start Position as if nothing happened...and becomes visible again

he is Far stronger when he Flanks or makes AoOs.......Int to Damagex3=+30 damage to each attack when Flanking, Int to Attack(+10) and 2x Int to Damage(+20) when making AoO(3xInt to Damage when Making AoO and Flanking)[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Solo, I am so siging that. Hope u don't mind....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:46:36 PM by geniussavant »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »
Solo, I am so siging that. Hope u don't mind....
Solo is just quoting the engineer from Tf2
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
Should I use martial monk???? and what feats should I take(in general???
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
If your character is human and can fit in 2 levels of the Chameleon PrC, I think it would benefit greatly from the daily-floating bonus feat.

tristanayres

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »
I think this may be one of the only times I've seen Fochlucan Lyrist as viable in a build im AFB right now but maybe something like     wiz1/druid1//bard2//rogue2 as a start than go on with warblade//artificer//factotum until you get the skill prereqs? Or maybe the former on one leg of the gestalt//artificer//factotum so you are more useful earlier? Just an idea I saw the opportunity for a functional Fochlucan Lyrist and I got a twixt in me nethers

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »
I don't think you need more than 11 levels of Factotum.  Since multiple prestige classes are allowed, how about RKV?

Artificer 20//
Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10/Mindbender 1/Dweomerkeeper 4 //
Cleric 4/Factotum3/Crusader 1/RKV 7/Factotum 5
Essential Feats: Initiate of Mystra, Mindsight.

or
Artificer 20 //
Wizard 3/Cerebromancer 9/JPM 8 //
Psion[Shaper] 3/Crusader 1/Cleric 1/RKV 7/Dweomerkeeper 1/Warblade 1/ XX 3/Dweomerkeeper 1/XX 2
Dweomerkeeper advances wizard.  Can be replaces with Incantatrix.
Misses out on Factotum abuse, boo, great at being a gish though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:52:22 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
I just spoke to the dm, and one of the other players convinced him to allow hyperconscience(sp?) I don't know if that helps... I need to look through it again

I really like the idea of dropping artificer for shaper+constructor, I still would like to stay away from triple casters, but I think I have changed my mind about double casters, as long as I don't have to search through 100 book to find my spells... 
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »
Hey look budy, I'm an engineer.

Like this heavy caliber tripod mounted little old blunder designed by me, built by me, and you better hope, not pointed at you.

BANG BANG BANG *AHHHH*

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »
So here's what I'm thinking:

Shaper 5+Astral Zealot(Hyperconscientous)  10+Constructor 5//Factotum 15+Trapsmith 5//Warblade x+prc z

It wouldn't be in that order, and I'm not familiar with ToB to pick a prestige class for warblade, though it seams that it would work fine without one. I'm thinking of taking both astral zealot and constructor, because combined it seams that I will have exceptionally strong astral constructs, even with the hit to my Ml... I'm still open to suggestions though...
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
Eternal Blade is really nice if you're an elf. That said, if you don't want to be an elf (and believe me, no one will blame you if you don't), you can do perfectly well without a PrC.

strider24seven

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »
If you use Factotum, you take 1,3,8,11,19, or 20 levels.  If you go more than three levels into the class, then you take 8 levels as soon as you can, because Cunning Surge is just that good, especially in Gestalt, and especially especially in triple-Gestalt.

If you go Artificer, go Artificer 20 or go home, IMHO.

Your biggest problem is getting enough actions to use in combat.  Factotum and Ruby Knight Vindicator help here.  

Since you are set on Artificer, then I suggest the following:
Factotum 20//Artificer 20//Warblade 3/Crusader 2/Trapsmith 5/Swiftblade 10

This build gets you the best of the action economy with which to abuse your Artificerness and your Trapsmith spells, which will be cast at nearly full caster level with Practiced Spellcaster.  Be a Kobold for extra lolz.